Jimi and JBL D-120F Speakers

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

parkhead
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jimi and JBL D-120F Speakers

Post by parkhead » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm

A friend was asking me about getting very long sustain.

So I helped put together this rig for her ...

here's a clip

3 parts

Prs Guitar, Tube screamer, 18 watt amp

the guitar the amp and the TS9 are optimized for sustain and work together

filmed with a flip camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0gB_cGDz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 20, 2010 8:26 am

It works fine for the sustain !
cool.
i remember having some sustain like that, just with an amp ready to do feedbacks,and on some frequencys you can have a long sustain when the note melts with a feedback produced, wich makes some vibrations, received then by he string. And it doesn't end.
i think it is just what's happening with jimi. the buddy guy video shows it too, with i think just a guitar directly into an amp, clean, but just ready to produce feedbacks.

do we have some other clips, new clips from peoples here, other than billy batz great clips ? i have to take some time to do some, not exactly in the same conditions as hendrix, not even a cab ; )
we could extend the investigation by some works with our equipments that could reach anyway some aspects or almost every aspects of the band of gypsys magic. let's hear us !

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtyG8jKYGZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:14 pm

I dig that thread out of the grave because , since now things have evolved and new stuff have been found .
I gotta say ;

http://www.mediafire.com/view/imbq9s4bv ... Rs2zNp.jpg

Proves pretty much the hunch I've had all that time that Jimi did indeed use jbl D120F speakers more often than people might think during the 69-70's period , hunch that made a lot of people call me a cook of some sort for daring to raise the question ...
Let the flame wars of hendrixian "orthodoxy" begin ...

BOG ?

Was the volume on the super leads lower , OR cabinets used did break up less because some had jbls in them ( the miked ones ? ) ?

Is it my fucked up ear playing tricks on me or do I hear the crusty sound of an aluminium capped speaker on some high volume squeaky parts of bog ?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Discussed previously in another thread.
Obviously Jimi used JBL's D-120F on at least once cab ( and 6550 as seen as well on this amp )

https://imgur.com/a/e2R0hRa

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 pm
Discussed previously in another thread.
Obviously Jimi used JBL's D-120F on at least once cab ( and 6550 as seen as well on this amp )

https://imgur.com/a/e2R0hRa
Well I found interesting to revive this thread after the new infos have been gathered so people could see the tremendous amount of bullshit some specific persons were saying at the time ( it's only ten pages people interested enough will have a good read ) ... Not even counting the vests craftily returned on that matter when no one was looking during all those years .
Would you want to prevent savvy people to have a good read xploder ? why ?

Besides , no it hasn't been discussed at length , the west coast mods yeah , that always on 3 transistors fuzz yeah , just not the jbl matter altogether . At least not methodically ...
FACTS ; There IS a traynor yokville JBL120F loaded cab on the bar stool at BOG , now we know there were Marshall cabs loaded with jbl D120F speakers in the pile , just not the position they were at ( nice btw ! I didn't even expect that much to come up even after 7-8-9 years , not saying it's Manhattan project type of secrecy around all Hendrix matters , but all kind of gloomy characters were hanging around him at the time , and nowadays still , lotsa people continue to milk the dead corpse like a cow , not really "summer of love-ish " if you ask me ) ..... how about we investigate further ? There are more factual truths to be found guys ( you just gotta be witty enough and know the proper techniques ).

( oh you mean the presence of those 6550 at Woodstock I managed to prove before anyone dug out the amp talked about in your Imgur ? Now THAT has been discussed yeah .... to death , it's been quite the struggle at the time to make common sense win , it bore fruits some people are happily munching now , but I admit I DO loose interest once shit's done and proven , only wankers rehash a done for subject for hundreds of pages to create an internet persona out of thin air .... Contrary to some people I'm not here to make money on carefully crafted and preserved myths using stealth or overt forum intimidation , there's a reason that forum is DEAD SILENT since a few years now , and it's not because of the smell of roses here is too pungent ).

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Hey maybe it was Merson that took out my 6550s and put EL34s back in!
I can tell you truly that Jimi did not like the JBLs as well as the Celestions. Their damping factor was way too high, meaning below .3, and they controlled the output circuit. They were loud, but dead sounding in comparison. That's the difference between a 1" voice coil, and a 3" voice coil with a huge magnet. This whole issue turned Jimi away from Sunn amps.
They were designed for hi-fi but sold to many musical instrument companies, all of whom eventually retuned to high Q small voice coil speakers. The QTS of MI speakers ranges from about .5 to 1.5.
I dare say Jimi made good use of JBL speakers, or Altecs, when he had them; he was quite capable of learning their characteristics and playing them.
We loved replacing JBL speakers at West Coast, hint: they were a lot more expensive to recone.
When Bob Hovland moved from Vox to JBL, we suddenly had all the JBL speakers we wanted to play around with. They never really worked well for rock guitar, but did great on bass.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Would you want to prevent savvy people to have a good read xploder ? why ?
Prevent people from ...... hmmm sure ... that can be the only reason ... My purpose HAS to be evil lol

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:12 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm
Hey maybe it was Merson that took out my 6550s and put EL34s back in!
I can tell you truly that Jimi did not like the JBLs as well as the Celestions. Their damping factor was way too high, meaning below .3, and they controlled the output circuit. They were loud, but dead sounding in comparison. That's the difference between a 1" voice coil, and a 3" voice coil with a huge magnet. This whole issue turned Jimi away from Sunn amps.
They were designed for hi-fi but sold to many musical instrument companies, all of whom eventually retuned to high Q small voice coil speakers. The QTS of MI speakers ranges from about .5 to 1.5.
I dare say Jimi made good use of JBL speakers, or Altecs, when he had them; he was quite capable of learning their characteristics and playing them.
We loved replacing JBL speakers at West Coast, hint: they were a lot more expensive to recone.
When Bob Hovland moved from Vox to JBL, we suddenly had all the JBL speakers we wanted to play around with. They never really worked well for rock guitar, but did great on bass.
Well Dave again , I clearly said for the moment it was only assumption based , with a few fossilized hints here and there ....
The question to know IF Jimi liked it or not is somewhat secondary ( even though it's counter intuitive ), I played more than once on gear that wasn't 100% satisfactory for me , heh , you know "circumstances " .... people and roadies were drugged out of their brains at the time ( thanks CIA ! ) , not the tidy professionalized reliable setups of todays plasticised music circus ...besides are you talking sunn D130Fs or D120Fs ? 15" or 12" ? they don't sound the same ..... a virbroverb is arguably pretty fucking harsh even though SRV made pretty good uses of it .... i don't find Duane Allman's sound harsh tho , just ...defined and clear ....
If we could stay focused two minutes and take different issues one after the other and not mash up all possibilities into an impossible one ...
How about the D120F loaded bar stool cab possibly refeeding the feedback from afar so Jimi doesn't have to waltz three miles to only manage to make his huge stack squeal uncontrollably like a slaughtered pig ? ( undoubtable all dustcap in this one ! ) .

I think celestion and Marshall already buttered a their toast enough to now let us at least DISCUSS shit without goons with hidden vested interests popping here and there ya know .
I like absolute truth , like we managed to pull out for the 6550 , I dunno it's just neat .

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 pm

You know I'm all good with the idea that Jimi used monitors, or should I say "remote speakers", to bring his sound closer to him so he could work with it from there, but many insist that Jimi was just listening to the bass or some other part of the mix to help everybody stay in sync. That makes sense too.

Suffice to say, Jimi DID use JBL speakers, and apparently ones that were made for Fender, i.e. D120F. The same model made for Kustom was D120K, and so on.
How could you avoid using those speakers at some time or another if you played in the 60s and 70s? I shouldn't think there would be any argument about whether Jimi used JBL speakers, and that their sound was recorded on some of his records. I saw JBLs in some of his cabs, I probably re-coned them!

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 pm
You know I'm all good with the idea that Jimi used monitors, or should I say "remote speakers", to bring his sound closer to him so he could work with it from there, but many insist that Jimi was just listening to the bass or some other part of the mix to help everybody stay in sync. That makes sense too.

Suffice to say, Jimi DID use JBL speakers, and apparently ones that were made for Fender, i.e. D120F. The same model made for Kustom was D120K, and so on.
How could you avoid using those speakers at some time or another if you played in the 60s and 70s? I shouldn't think there would be any argument about whether Jimi used JBL speakers, and that their sound was recorded on some of his records. I saw JBLs in some of his cabs, I probably re-coned them!

that's a FAIR answer Dave ....

By the way , I dunno if the Jim dunlop guys are reading this forum , but I think they got a whiff of the fact that the BOG fuzz was three transistor one ;

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jhf3- ... 08142-0.do
http://forum.marstran.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=640

I looked at the layout and the capacitors values are somewhat different from the modded fuzz face circuit you unveiled to us here ...But still !
I guess the guys at dunlop finally figured out that players around the globe weren't 100% satisfied with their base model fuzz to cop some certain tones , so they pumped out yet another circuit ^^
I guess people's ears win in the end ! But they wait long enough to admit it for the cash to roll in as much as possible .

The point of reviving this thread is in the end ....Basile865 while having had to bear a lot of bashing for daring to expose his thoughts on Band of gypsies sound print had a pretty darn fucking good ear , because , the way you modded the BOG super lead , with 6550s ( which are closer to 6L6s in response than EL34 you gotta admit ) , the 12AT7 rectifiers , and a mismatch of greenbacks and JBLs .... blindfolded it's pretty much the biggest sounding fender amp you could get your hands on at least spec sheet wise at the time , somewhat .... or a crossbreed , call it what you like ( by the way what type of capacitors did you like to use at the time to mod super leads ....you had a source for mustards , or did you just roll with what was laying under your paw at the time ? )