Which fuzz for JIMI?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

cary chilton

Which fuzz for JIMI?

Post by cary chilton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:44 pm

I have the 69 100 watt plexi and a nice alder G&L strat... which fuzz(es)? Analogman??? KR??? Keeley?? Dallas??

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Re: Which fuzz for JIMI?

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:54 pm

If you're the hands on type, you could try building the axis clone off the fuzz central site?

I did, and have been very very happy with the result. I left the components they recommended off, and it's killer. Bright, but really good.

What particular fuzz tone are you hearing as a benchmark?
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:00 am

I just picked up an Roger Mayer Axis. Someone said it is the Spanish Castle Magic tone.
What Machine Gun? Purple Haze? Along The Watch Tower?

I have eyed the KR fuzzes, Keeley and Analogman, and THrobak stuff... any experience? :D

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:01 pm

depending on which tone you want to cover you need the following:
stock Ge FF
mayer specs Ge FF
axis fuzz
stock Si FF
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:05 pm

A fuzz is such a simple circuit, I would recommend you check out a few diy sites, order some parts and tweak away. The big differences come to whether you want a germanium fuzz (darker, woolier) or silicon (brighter, more aggressive)

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Analog Man NKT-275 and a BC-108 Based silicon fuzz

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Honestly, the Dunlop JH-1 that George Tripps tweaked sounds really great and can get the Jimi thing dead on. Here is a clip of it in action for your consideration.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THChrist
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by THChrist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:35 am

what should i use for the "Love Or Confusion" static-like sound? or the crazy part @ Third Stone From The Sun? Tychobrahe Octavia or the Axis Fuzzface?

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 am

swankmotee wrote:Honestly, the Dunlop JH-1 that George Tripps tweaked sounds really great and can get the Jimi thing dead on. Here is a clip of it in action for your consideration.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow great tone. Are those amps unattenuated? What do you have the settings on?

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Tone seaker wrote:
swankmotee wrote:Honestly, the Dunlop JH-1 that George Tripps tweaked sounds really great and can get the Jimi thing dead on. Here is a clip of it in action for your consideration.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow great tone. Are those amps unattenuated? What do you have the settings on?
The 73' 100wt is attenuated one notch on my old Marshall SE100 attenuator which in real world terms knocks it down about 2 steps on other attenuators and it's still really loud with the old G12H30's. I'm running all knobs on 10 except for bass which is off. Thanx for the kind compliment on the tone and I feel really lucky to have found such a good sounding fuzzface like this one! :jimi:

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 am

I have a red dot and white dot ntk275 sunfaces. I think Jimi's early sound had red dot trannys, but not as dark as the trannys in my red dot and the clips I hear seem top clean up better. My white dot get's closer IMO. I think I like my red dot more, it's a very special fuzz :).

The thing is Hendrix reportedly didn't turn the fuzz dial to high, or so I've heard, so I'd think just about any balanced decent fuzzface should get you there, ge for early, si for later.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 am

The thing is Hendrix reportedly didn't turn the fuzz dial to high, or so I've heard,

Where'd you hear that? He can be seen in many of the video's reaching down to max out the controls on the FF.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 pm

I've read he used it more as a boost and didn't really like the fuzz it generated a whole lot, maybe that was just the early days? Also, I've read a lot of the mods he had his tech do were to get more output out of it, presumably to drive the front end hard.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Doug H wrote:I've read he used it more as a boost and didn't really like the fuzz it generated a whole lot, maybe that was just the early days? Also, I've read a lot of the mods he had his tech do were to get more output out of it, presumably to drive the front end hard.
Actually, he used the fuzzes "maxed" out to derive his distorted sound which was totally dependent on the fuzz and not the amps which were plexi's that were relatively clean sounding especially when playing a Fender with weak output single coil pups. If you really research the subject you will find that you've got it backwards in that Jimi's sound was WAY distorted when he ran the fuzz but he used his volume control's full range from clean to max dirt.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm

I think it was his tech that qas quoted, he didn't ;like the sound of the fuzz faces much but used them as a boost. Maybe that changed when he found some good samples?