What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by yladrd61 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 pm

You might also try turning your tone controls down a little and turn up your presence a bit ;)

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm

great clip brandon.

See if you can post the fuzz and univibe clip with it soon. Am dying to here it.

I agree.. alot of metro amp owners don't play much hendrix stuff.. i guess u can tell why we're all excited to here clips in the hendrix catagory.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 pm

hey guys, I uploaded a couple more clips for you, this time with a univibe and fuzz... you can check them out here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1155029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple little improvs, hey baby and hear my train.

Settings are the same except the presence I think is on 5.

Hope you like em! :mrgreen:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Nice. How are the NOS preamp tubes treating you? Sounds like they are helping to close that last 10% gap tonally.

Did you figure out if bad AC power was contributing to the annoying hash sound you were hearing in the amp?

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 pm

That brimmer sounds really nice :worthy: but i still haven't ordered the other nos tubes yet, waiting for some $$ for that...

Hopefully soon, i'll post up clips when that happens too :wink:

And with the outlet thing, i'm pretty sure it was messing with the tubes and could have even been responsible for messing up that one humming tube. I switched to a different jack now, and any damage that the tubes might have sustained from it will be resolved with some nos tubes.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:14 pm

very nice hear my train a comin. i'm following that carefully, i'd like to mod my superlead metro to NOS parts some day, resistors, mustards, tubes, paxolin boards, ( transformers ? filter cans ? something else ? ) to these specs ! if you're ok ? ; )
i'll just swap boards, and preserve the stock metro board. what speakers to you use again ?

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey Brandon,

you're clips are some of the closest tones I've heard to live hendrix tone. What kind of fuzz and univibe are you using?

i am soo dying for a metro superlead.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm

theactor19 wrote:Hey Brandon,

you're clips are some of the closest tones I've heard to live hendrix tone. What kind of fuzz and univibe are you using?

Thanks man :wink:

Univibe is a Deja Vibe 2, the old bigger grey one. And the fuzz is just a dunlop silacone fuzz. Not my favorite but it gets the job done.
Xplorer wrote:very nice hear my train a comin. i'm following that carefully, i'd like to mod my superlead metro to NOS parts some day, resistors, mustards, tubes, paxolin boards, ( transformers ? filter cans ? something else ? ) to these specs ! if you're ok ? ; )
i'll just swap boards, and preserve the stock metro board. what speakers to you use again ?
The speakers I'm using are Celestion 12H 30s anniversary editions in a Marshall 1960tv cab.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 am

Brandon wrote:
theactor19 wrote:Hey Brandon,

Thanks man :wink:

Univibe is a Deja Vibe 2, the old bigger grey one. And the fuzz is just a dunlop silacone fuzz. Not my favorite but it gets the job done.
Xplorer wrote:very nice hear my train a comin. i'm following that carefully, i'd like to mod my superlead metro to NOS parts some day, resistors, mustards, tubes, paxolin boards, ( transformers ? filter cans ? something else ? ) to these specs ! if you're ok ? ; )
I
The speakers I'm using are Celestion 12H 30s anniversary editions in a Marshall 1960tv cab.
Is that the new Dunlop Blue Hendrix fuzz, I have that one it sounds pretty good if you tweak the bias pots under the board ;)

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:09 pm

I haven't been to try out the Handwired Hendrix Dunlop fuzz yet. Hear it kicks ass, but this is just a standard old red fuzz face made by dunlop. I bought it like 10 years ago at a 4th of july sale at Guitar Center for like 50 bones.

I have a Grey Arbiter Fuzz Face too, but it's germanium, gets a totally different feel than what's right for Woodstock.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Brandon wrote:I haven't been to try out the Handwired Hendrix Dunlop fuzz yet. Hear it kicks ass, but this is just a standard old red fuzz face made by dunlop. I bought it like 10 years ago at a 4th of july sale at Guitar Center for like 50 bones.

I have a Grey Arbiter Fuzz Face too, but it's germanium, gets a totally different feel than what's right for Woodstock.
Yeah I have pictures of both of my fuzz faces { JH Silicon, and Area 51 modded Germanium } over on the Pedals and Gear section. In the "Hendrix's BOG fuzz face" thread. I added a trimpot to bias the Q2 transistor 5 volts is the sweet spot ;) for the germanium and 5.2 volts on the Silicon :jimi:

BLOOZE

Post by BLOOZE » Thu May 05, 2011 12:32 pm

is the woodstock clone (by george ) built with a Dagnall clone or with the 1202-132?

is that a dagnall c1998
(69 1959 Super Lead 100W - Jimi Hendrix)

http://www.amparchives.com/album/Marsha ... f8e_3.html

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 pm

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I do know that this amp is basically a STOCK early '69 100 watter, so whatever PT and OT were put into stock early 1969 Marshall 100 watt amps, that's what's in this amp ;)

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

It's the Dagnall C1998 with self leads.

How's your quest going Brandon? Picked any favorite NOS preamp tubes?

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Brandon wrote:Thanks man. :wink:

Yeah I'm still falling a little bit short with the tone and I'm looking into NOS preamp tubes right now and I"m open to suggestion.

I feel that the tone needs to be a little more aggressive and have more "clank" and be a little more full bodied.

I was thinking about 2 NOS mullards and maybe something else to give it that aggressive clank?
If you're looking for a little more aggression and clank I would strongly suggest you try some Duncan APS2 "Antiquities". It was mentioned earlier. I've had the Fralins too, and the APS2s are just alive in a way I think you will really like.