What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

BLOOZE
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by BLOOZE » Fri May 06, 2011 6:43 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:It's the Dagnall C1998 with self leads.

george
Thank you for the answer

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:10 am

I am running mint Phillips Labeled "1970" 12Ax7A/7025A Backburn I63s in V1, and V3, and a Brimar CV4004 in V2, with GT relabeled brown base Tesla EL34's, in my 1970 Super Lead "SL/A 5132A :jimi:
VelvetGeorge wrote:It's the Dagnall C1998 with self leads.

How's your quest going Brandon? Picked any favorite NOS preamp tubes?

george

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 pm

i'm quite satisfied with this home made germanium fuzz based on the joe bonamassa fuzz. played through some 69 reversed slider's pickups into the metroamp 69 stock. but it isn't even played through a cab. can't wait to hear it in some normal conditions on a 4x12. a little touch of woodstock :D
Attachments
11-10-12 demo fuzz II.mp3
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 169 times

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Xplorer wrote:i'm quite satisfied with this home made germanium fuzz based on the joe bonamassa fuzz. played through some 69 reversed slider's pickups into the metroamp 69 stock. but it isn't even played through a cab. can't wait to hear it in some normal conditions on a 4x12. a little touch of woodstock :D
Sounds just like an octavia to me! Nice tone!

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:05 pm

No it's not an octavia ; ) just the slider's pickups that react better.
though it features an octavia section that is dead on fillmore east's octavia. In fact i made it thanks to you.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 am

Brandon wrote:
theactor19 wrote:Hey Brandon,

you're clips are some of the closest tones I've heard to live hendrix tone. What kind of fuzz and univibe are you using?

i am soo dying for a metro superlead.
Thanks man :wink:

Univibe is a Deja Vibe 2, the old bigger grey one. And the fuzz is just a dunlop silacone fuzz. Not my favorite but it gets the job done.
Xplorer wrote:very nice hear my train a comin. i'm following that carefully, i'd like to mod my superlead metro to NOS parts some day, resistors, mustards, tubes, paxolin boards, ( transformers ? filter cans ? something else ? ) to these specs ! if you're ok ? ; )
i'll just swap boards, and preserve the stock metro board. what speakers to you use again ?
The speakers I'm using are Celestion 12H 30s anniversary editions in a Marshall 1960tv cab.
Brandon you have to try a KR Mega Vibe, he also makes a killer fuzz, he builds all of Randy Hansens pedals. He builds the most spot on versions of Jimis pedals !!! I can get in touch with him if you are interested ;) :jimi:

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:50 am

Doug H wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Doug H wrote:I'd go shared for any jimi tones, I've read rumours he had at least one later Marshall amp modded this way, and I'd vote shared is a more classic Jimi type sound.
I think the one george built me is split.... what is the sonic difference between the two anyway?
I haven't done a lot of AB'ing, but the split is supposed to be edgier and crisper, maybe a bit brighter?
I tried going back to Split Cathode, on my 1970 Super Lead 330uf/820K - 6.8uf 2.1K all the bottom dropped out of my sound, I went back to to Shared 330uf/820k, way better :jimi: PS: I also have no bright Cap ;)

billshatner

Post by billshatner » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 am

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am

yladrd61 wrote:
Brandon wrote:
theactor19 wrote:Hey Brandon,

you're clips are some of the closest tones I've heard to live hendrix tone. What kind of fuzz and univibe are you using?

i am soo dying for a metro superlead.
Thanks man :wink:

Univibe is a Deja Vibe 2, the old bigger grey one. And the fuzz is just a dunlop silacone fuzz. Not my favorite but it gets the job done.
Xplorer wrote:very nice hear my train a comin. i'm following that carefully, i'd like to mod my superlead metro to NOS parts some day, resistors, mustards, tubes, paxolin boards, ( transformers ? filter cans ? something else ? ) to these specs ! if you're ok ? ; )
i'll just swap boards, and preserve the stock metro board. what speakers to you use again ?
The speakers I'm using are Celestion 12H 30s anniversary editions in a Marshall 1960tv cab.
Brandon you have to try a KR Mega Vibe, he also makes a killer fuzz, he builds all of Randy Hansens pedals. He builds the most spot on versions of Jimis pedals !!! I can get in touch with him if you are interested ;) :jimi:
Yeah I am actually interested in the kr fuzzes. They sound pretty groovy!

With the univibe, with the types of tone alterations the original made to the tone, I've actually been considering finding an original.... We'll see if I can actually afford it though haha

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 am

page 4 of this thread , 7th post , explorer posted three photos of the woodstock show and the last one features mitch and right besides him a guy sitting on a marshall amp head which has a white ovoid sticker on it's back panel , it seems that hendrix's functioning amps during the gig also had these white stickers on their back panels ( photo evidence )….. I'm wondering if those are sam ash stickers of the time ????? Maybe someone who bought gear at sam ash by these times , have seen these stickers on new gear ?????

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:52 am

This new Nash guitar, though no maple cap can come very close in overall tone :D :jimi: :jimi: :jimi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8wa-HG9lE
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:27 am

That distorted tone was terrible!

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Frenchie,
I just happened across your post regarding the white ovoid stickers on Jimi's amps at Woodstock. There is a real high probability that they are West Coast Organ and Amplifier stickers. We stuck them on most all of Jimi's stuff when we prepped it for the road.
I spent a lot of time that summer prepping and modding equipment which was to be used at Woodstock, including Jimi's stuff, Neil Young's, Crosby Stills and Nash's and so on.
There was a last minute crush at West Coast Amp to get it all ready.
If you can ever get a close-up shot of the equipment, check for the following: our sticker was white, a horizontal oval shape, and had the text arranged in five horizontal lines.
The lines read, from the top:
FOR SERVICE
CALL
WEST COAST
ORGAN and AMP SERVICE
462-8683

If you see anything that looks like that text, in a center-justified format, in a white oval which measures 2" the long way, it's probably our sticker.
Hope this helps.
Dave Weyer
Chief Tech, West Coast Organ and Amplifier Service

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi David !

please, one question that we all Wonder ( among some others ).... appart from the very exciting things you already said to clarify an old interview, is : do you know some things about the Woodstock red fuzz with white knobs ? :)

i see these stickers you're talking about on the picture i'm posting ! not everyone can say he worked on such marshall wall, for .... Woodstock and Jimi Hendrix ! that's fantastic.

behind the Fillmore bog concert, i don't see these stickers. i personaly think that at least one of them was one of his early 45/100, for the special night. i'm sure he changed his rig from one night to the other, hence a big reason to the typical machine gun tone, coming from an unusual use ( with a univibe, different fuzz and speakers ( G12H30 75hz i think ... ) of his early marshall, compared to the experience days. that's at least what i'm hearing, with no mods, no efforts, almost instantly.
after all, it was in new York, he had his electric ladyland studio there, and certainly his beloved 5/100 there.

we're very very interested by this concert and we discussed a lot about it.

glad to see you appearing on the forum David.

cheers,
Adrien

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:04 pm

damn, "board attachment quota has been reached ? " i can't post a picture ?