My Hendrix Woodstock Strat Project

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

badfinger

Re: My Hendrix Woodstock Strat Project

Post by badfinger » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi +1 on the Poly finish, Jimis black and white 68 strats were definatley Poly bar the headstock front. I think the biggest tone bender in these 68 strats is the maple lam board, gives the guitar a vert distinctive sound, plus the pups of course.

I have custom shop 69s pups on my lam board 68 strat and they have a huge bottom end, massive piano like tone but still retain the very crisp high harmonics on the wound stri
[img][IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4787/dscf1328i.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Incredible sustain, my favourite strat.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 am

Very cool, my '68 clone looks like that except mine was 'reliced' a bit.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 am

what necks and bodys did you buy ?
the poly finish on the neck , wow, so it really goes amber like the nitro ?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am

Xplorer, The ONLY company that I know of that does the vintage correct round laminated fretboard like the Fender style done from '63 to the early '80's (well the maple boards were only a custom option from '63 to '69) and by mid '71 the maple boards were a one piece neck with only the rosewood board necks having the round 'lam'.

This makes those necks VERY unique. Musikraft makes them for around $240 . They also sell two different strat bodies, the '50's style (which 99% of companies clone) and a '70's style ( like Hendix) which is VERY VERY Slightly different.

I have seen inconsistency in even Fender's 'Custom Shop' concerning thier '69 models (same specs as the '68) Depending on the luthier in the shop (I think the Fender Custom Shop has 50 or so luthiers) the laminated fretboard can be accurate or TOO thick. I've seen some better than others.

I say use Musikraft.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 am

thanks tone slinger. i didn't know that it was a laminated fretboard.
my 79 big headstock neck is a one piece maple neck. beautiful color. a player.
your poly neck went amber over the time ? some say that it goes yellow amber, but slower than the nitro, and some say that it doesn't change at all. so i don't know.
yeah, i'd need a nice nitro body too. i think that i'd be good at relicing guitars.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I thought both of Hendrix's Strats, the white and black were maple capped necks..?
yngwie
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 pm

I thought capped/veneer/laminate were all the same no?

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Musikraft makes them, also Bhefner makes the maple cap necks. I hear more people have more success with Bhef, higher quality, better customer service. etc.

I'm getting my neck done by a more private guy named Joe Desperate, he's on the ReRanch forum, apparently he's the real go to guy for necks and he really takes a lot of care building them, much like george with amps, and his prices are not bad at all. :mrgreen:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Yeah Dave, both Hendrix's strats were vaneered (the round lam just means that the neck is already radiused (7 1/4) BEFORE the thin 'cap' (fretboard) is put on, which is also radiused (7 1/4) . 'Slab' boards are flat at the bottom and radiused on top.

Fender actually had part of a year (late '70 to early '71 I believe) where they went back to a one piece maple neck, like the '50's, only with a big headstock. Fender were in the transition period right before they went to the one piece 'bullet rod' maple necks. The rosewood boards were still the round laminated fretboards.

I love my Musikraft neck, but will check out that other company mentioned.

I already have,imo,the BEST painter,relicing person available. I'll try and get some pic's up (it keeps telling me I have too many pixels, I cant figure it out ?)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:16 pm

I just checked out the B. Hefner company. That is not a authentic 'round' laminated fretboard. The Musikraft is right on the mark, as well as SOME of the Fender 'Custom shop' models.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm

yeah, such glued laminated fretboads ... i don't think that today they would use the same glue as before, and it might be an important part. imigh by a trat body, nitro, to hefner. musikraft looks nice, but someone told me that it wasn't allways as good as what's presented.
who's your relicing guy ?

harkkam08

Post by harkkam08 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

Guys I had no idea you could have custom necks and bodies made. I discovered warmoth and all their options which sent me into a tail spin because I paid 750 for my MIM 70's reissue and here I can have a custom guitar for cheaper and built to my specs.

So far this is what I've gathered in the hendrix guitar search which Ive only started recently.

The body was alder wood. The neck was maple.

1. Im not sure what it means that it is laminated fretboard and how that is different from a one piece maple.

I know that the radius is 7.25 and thats what I play now and I love it. Thats going to stay.

I know it also has the giant headstock, is this what CBS means? I want the giant headstock and I know Jimi had that in his guitar as well.

Whats got me most confused and stumped is what warmoth calls the back contour.

I know modern guitars use C shape that are .800 at the 1st frett and .850 at the 12th. Now what this means is if I took a ruller from the finger board to the apex of the back piece that would be the length? But then what does the 7.25 radius mean?

Sorry for all these questions.

Ive done some reading that the late 60's strats had neither a C shape or a U shape but a D shape. What would the back contour be of hendrix's strat.

Thx guys

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

7.25 radius means the ark of the out side of a 14.5 circle. if you took a piece of string with a pencil attached to it 7.25 inches long and held the end with no pencil on the center of a piece of paper and the string tight and draw a circle it would be 14.5 inches across =14.5 inch diameter or 7.25 inches from center to outside = 7.25 inch radius. Then cut out a small piece of that line on the out side of the circle and it should match the curve across the fret board

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 pm

If you are going for an 'authentic' Hendrix style maple neck strat, then you have two choices Fender ($$$$$'s) or Musikraft ( I LOVE mine) These are the only two facilities that make the round laminated fretboards. Warmoth can only do a '50's era one piece maple neck. I'd use Musikraft.

My painter/luthier guy is named Gene. He is priced reasonably and his work rivals the Fender custom shop (paint/relicing). I'm still trying to get pics up of my '68 olympic white relic.

harkkam08

Post by harkkam08 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 am

Tone Slinger wrote:If you are going for an 'authentic' Hendrix style maple neck strat, then you have two choices Fender ($$$$$'s) or Musikraft ( I LOVE mine) These are the only two facilities that make the round laminated fretboards. Warmoth can only do a '50's era one piece maple neck. I'd use Musikraft.

My painter/luthier guy is named Gene. He is priced reasonably and his work rivals the Fender custom shop (paint/relicing). I'm still trying to get pics up of my '68 olympic white relic.
I see, is this the round laminated fretboard option at musikcraft?

https://www.musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid66.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did I select the right one, the two piece construction?