Original Jordan BossTone

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Original Jordan BossTone

Post by JimiJames » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 am

Where/when did Jimi use this.
Is there a song? In which tune?

I think I saw only 1 schem for that online...(not moded)

I have a homebrew now that's more versatile dialing in usable tones.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Purplexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Original Jordan BossTone

Post by Purplexi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:58 pm

I had an original too! I think the second one had the silicon transistor, the first one was germ but said "Sho-Bud" instead of Bosstone. This is the first I've heard of Jimi having one but it wouldn't surprise me, he grabbed everything off the shelves!

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

I just found a pic of the one I had...
That should help.

JimiJames

UPDATE !

Post by JimiJames » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Just found out some news... Been a coupla' years...
There are actually 5 versions discussed here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... c=48469.20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/jordan/bosstone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Version Sound samples here:
http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... sions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I got this one in 2007 or 8 off of eBay for $200.00 thinking it was an original since no one at the time was cloning them.
The previous owner ( I assume) also or probably thought that it was an original too.
Dead give away is the "screw-hole" switch and printed white lettering on the knobs.
They sold for half (errr, mumble,mumble insert 4 letter words) :palm:
Thought you'd like to know ...who it was made by http://mahoneyguitargear.com/pedals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway I think this could be Ver. 5 (regardless of board color)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 am

I had a Voodoo labs 'Bosstone', which I think was highly based on the Jordan model. I compared it to my Voodoo Labs 'Overdrive', which was based on the DOD 250, and the 'Overdrive' was just more musical and had better tone/dynamics.

I doubt Hendrix used a Bosstone, 'cause it was a 'plug in' wasnt it ? Like the LPB-1 was right ? Hendrik liked to step on things. If he used one it was probably just fiddling around imo.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:16 pm

The JBT is a fuzz not an overdrive, right? So, I'm confused with your comparison.
I believe the Superfuzz is the new Bosstone?

I agree with Roe on documentation of Jimi's equipment, so, yes, always a mystery.
I have read somewhere a couple of articles that said he did actually use this on atleast one song, but which one I have no clue.
Purplexi mentioned Sho-Bud which I'm familiar with, but never recalled them making something like that.
Looking around at the time this was posted I didn't find much of anything. but more has surfaced since.
Purplexi was close with the name in that the manufacturer was Sho-Sound. Given the date and musicians who used these types of effects it would of had an appeal to them.
RM wasn't the only guy in the biz... and in the know. I think you right though in that he was just farting around with "things" and given the time frame introduce 1967(advertisement)& Jordan Electronics from '68; it is highly probable as it is improbable that he used this pedal.
Regardless if this were a plug... easily modded as it was done by a person in (Astoria ?) N.Y. in the '70's where a friend of mine found his in a gray BudBox style stompbox which sparked my interest in this rare fuzz.

I like this pedal for what it is, Just kool to have in your bag of tricks.
It's a cross between an Octavia and an Octaver with craZyass fuzz. I should do a demo with my Omori JBT homebrew...

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, the Overdriver and Superfuzz are different, but I find that most 'fuzz' pedals dont really fuzz, they just sound like inferior distortion units, meaning that I'd take a good Distortion + or 250 over all of them.

The fuzz face has that full, smooth type quality, that if put on a loud amp, can cause a great 'overload' type of thing, as heard by Hendrix (House Burning down) or Uli Roth (Top Of The Bill). I give it props for this ability, as well as its smooth gain, like Johnsons 'Cliffs Of Dover' type tone.

The distortion on my Roland Jet Phaser is truly unique. It has tons of gain and gets a very 'House Burning Down' type tone, especially when combined with its jet phase function.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)