Temolo-ish Sound in "Wild Thing" Monterey Pop

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Temolo-ish Sound in "Wild Thing" Monterey Pop

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm

it'd be so simple .... why commenting something that you didn't read ? is it logical ? i'd just suggest to read everything on this topic, including the whole topic on the other forum where the clips are posted, and learn some news before commenting. you actualy don't really know the subject yet, and the related infos,... if it can help.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 am

this is an edit of my post which previously had two words in it, it wasn't the f bomb but it was close.

you're way too invested in this topic, and I don't have to read a bunch of posts from airchair detectives around the world like me to have an opinion on what sounds pretty friggen obviously like a intermitent connection. Is there research to be done about the infamous broken guitar sound on Wild thing at Monterey? Like where? what are you even talking about?

Direct your animosity at the people who deserve it and leave me the fuck out of it, I don't even know what you are trying to sell, or what you disagree with. I think it's pretty friggen obvious it was a bad connection in the sacrifice guitar, but at this point no one but Hendrix and his tech really know for sure.

I'm curious, spit it out in conreate terms just what exactly you think was happening there to make the signal intermident when the signal wasn't strong?
btw, if I'm not mistaken, that strange tremolo effect, if ya can call it that, didnt' seem to happen with the other guitar he was playing. Please enlighten me.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:07 am

Xplorer wrote:it'd be so simple .... why commenting something that you didn't read ? is it logical ? i'd just suggest to read everything on this topic, including the whole topic on the other forum where the clips are posted, and learn some news before commenting. you actualy don't really know the subject yet, and the related infos,... if it can help.
I know the subject well enough to comment in some forum where a bunch of people spend their spare time conversing about such things, if I have to have a PHD in Hendrix to share my opinion then my bad, no one told me.

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:10 am

Xplorer wrote:No fuzz on monterey's wilde thing, about the way the amp produces cracks. just the amp ... the amp doing cracks into the distortion. this is not a fuzz. the amp is fuzzy by itself. special amp ...
I'm reading through the thread now cause you called me out

wrong...

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:33 am

ok, so I read your link, some guy playing and the tone is flaking out like at the end of the monterey gig, he says it's the amp. My money was on the patch cable, but I suppose a bad connection in the amp, or a flaky tube, misbiased output tubes, whatever...I don't really care. Jimi managed to work around it, but really it just sounded bad. You think the amp sounds fuzzy on it's own, maybe, there's gain on those recordings he wasn't getting just from the amp, I don't care what was wrong with it.

If my amp started sounding like that it'd be on the bench before you could say Monterey. Cranked Maarshalls just don't sound like that, listen to old Van Halen. Misbiased power tubes coming from England to US? I dunno, why did it take the whole show to present itself? I've ran tubes too hot anyhowk, they sound nothing like that.

btw, without eing a doubtling Thomas, I'm not completely sold on "some guy from some forum playing Hendrix's old amp". Sounds just like some guy had the same problem and made some recordings. Like I said the problem could have been anywhere. My money was on the guitar jack really, but I suppose something could have been wrong in the amp. I remain unconvinced, but then I think that those were evolved macha at the end of A.I., not aliens.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

yeah, don't feel agressed, and i don't oblige you to believe it, you know ? fine. as you like.
i just shared my thoughts on this, like for any topic, like you guys, but i've just met problems when it wasn't understood the way i meant it, or when it was commented after it was read really fast, missing every info.
you're free to share your thougths on some musical subjects that are interesting for you, here, right ? And so i am, that's all. i think that it's not about who's right or wrong, it's just about discussing.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Doug H wrote:this is an edit of my post which previously had two words in it, it wasn't the f bomb but it was close.

you're way too invested in this topic, and I don't have to read a bunch of posts from airchair detectives around the world like me to have an opinion on what sounds pretty friggen obviously like a intermitent connection. Is there research to be done about the infamous broken guitar sound on Wild thing at Monterey? Like where? what are you even talking about?

Direct your animosity at the people who deserve it and leave me the fuck out of it, I don't even know what you are trying to sell, or what you disagree with. I think it's pretty friggen obvious it was a bad connection in the sacrifice guitar, but at this point no one but Hendrix and his tech really know for sure.

I'm curious, spit it out in conreate terms just what exactly you think was happening there to make the signal intermident when the signal wasn't strong?
btw, if I'm not mistaken, that strange tremolo effect, if ya can call it that, didnt' seem to happen with the other guitar he was playing. Please enlighten me.
+1 I also think it was a bad connection and wiring in the guitar it didn't do that with the other guitar :jimi:

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:03 pm

its just a bad curley cable

you can clearly see that the sound acts up more as Jimi throws the guitar around

also there is a fuzz face and its on

Fuzz faces go wild if they are fed a bad signal and if you sever the cable completely you get exactly what we hear at the end where

announcer has to shout over the fuzz face oscillating

Having noted all that I'd lover to see some photos of this 66 amp Xplorer is talking about

since that would make 3 including the dickenson one, one local in these parts, and the one xplores buddy has

maybe if we all stopped buying boutique cables and used crappy 70's radio shack type stuff we would all hear it

a half broken cable does some incredibly weird stuff

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 pm

No the owner won't show pictures of this amp. Despite what you're thinking, and the bad cable, fuzz stuffs theorys, this is not what the owner says. I suppose that we can perhaps believe him ? After all, he can play this amp, not us.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:27 pm

:palm:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 pm

ok garbeaj, you know the stuff better than the owner of the amp you heard played by hendrix at montery, and played again today. you're the best.
anyway, i'm transmitting what he said, what he did, what he knows. maybe not enough for you.
from this, If you need to enter into some kind of kid fight, i'm not gonna try to understand why, but i'll certainly think that there's absolutely no interest in this. thanks for your show , very not interesting.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 pm

you don't have to take the owner's word for it xplorer. the photos of the inside of that amp have circulated the net for years, i've even posted them to this forum, and i don't believe i was the first. i believe you're talking about the cracked plexi amp right?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:49 pm

no, not this amp.
and if i was transmitting something false, i wouldn't see the point to be arrogant toward me. from what i know on this amp, this reaction seem a bit "talked too fast".
Now if you guys need something more, check the clips and the other forum, and especially, go discuss with the owner of this amp, NOT ME , i'm not the owner of this amp.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

hold on a minute here, i'm not calling bullshit on you Xplorer, but this guy is claiming that he has THE 7026 amp that Jimi considered his favorite? there are a few problems with his claims:

1. the "favorite" 45/100 of Jimi's was featured on the albums as well, he used it in the studio. obviously that crackle sound isn't there, so it's not something unique to the amp, and a transformer won't really "crackle" like that. if it did, it probably wouldn't last very long. the recordings on that other forum sound like there IS something wrong with the amp but not quite like monterey. his is more extreme and sounds like he is using quite a bit more gain than Jimi did.

2. the amp in question is currently in a museum, in a glass case. and if it weren't, i seriously doubt it would be in the hands of some random forum guy, and that he would go through the trouble of recording with it. just an observation, but honestly that amp is locked up. and yes, it IS the dickinson, cracked plexi amp we're talking about here, that's the only amp i've ever heard Jimi refer to as a favorite, or at least on the internet anyway

3. he also seems to think that the problem within hendrix's setup cannot be replicated, but i think this forum and the company that owns it are a testament to the exact opposite of that idea. nothing is out of reach with the proper approach and attention to detail.

he even says "If you watch Jimi at Monterey on the intro to Wild Thing, he has the same problem when he turns the guitar upside down it's wailing, then it completely cuts out flat and he has to start tapping on the guitar and wiggling the whammy to try to get it going again when he got too close to the amp"

well the obvious issue here is that the guitar is facing the amp when he plays behind his back, upside-down and all, but no cutting out, and very little crackling happening whatsoever. and if it's an amp problem, how in the hell is wiggling the tremolo bar going to fix ANYTHING? in fact if you watch just before he straddles the guitar (after humping the speaker cab... am I seriously dissecting this :lol: ) he grabs the strings a few times between all the noise and the notes come through just fine. not much cracking, no weird noises besides the obvious.

sorry to disappoint but that guy's amp is just broken and it has nothing to do with Jimi. Like has been pointed out in this thread, it didn't crackle with other guitars, and if you were going to smash a guitar, wouldn't you smash the one that had a bad solder somewhere?

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am

spaceace76 wrote:hold on a minute here, i'm not calling bullshit on you Xplorer, but this guy is claiming that he has THE 7026 amp that Jimi considered his favorite? there are a few problems with his claims:

1. the "favorite" 45/100 of Jimi's was featured on the albums as well, he used it in the studio. obviously that crackle sound isn't there, so it's not something unique to the amp, and a transformer won't really "crackle" like that. if it did, it probably wouldn't last very long. the recordings on that other forum sound like there IS something wrong with the amp but not quite like monterey. his is more extreme and sounds like he is using quite a bit more gain than Jimi did.

2. the amp in question is currently in a museum, in a glass case. and if it weren't, i seriously doubt it would be in the hands of some random forum guy, and that he would go through the trouble of recording with it. just an observation, but honestly that amp is locked up. and yes, it IS the dickinson, cracked plexi amp we're talking about here, that's the only amp i've ever heard Jimi refer to as a favorite, or at least on the internet anyway

3. he also seems to think that the problem within hendrix's setup cannot be replicated, but i think this forum and the company that owns it are a testament to the exact opposite of that idea. nothing is out of reach with the proper approach and attention to detail.

he even says "If you watch Jimi at Monterey on the intro to Wild Thing, he has the same problem when he turns the guitar upside down it's wailing, then it completely cuts out flat and he has to start tapping on the guitar and wiggling the whammy to try to get it going again when he got too close to the amp"

well the obvious issue here is that the guitar is facing the amp when he plays behind his back, upside-down and all, but no cutting out, and very little crackling happening whatsoever. and if it's an amp problem, how in the hell is wiggling the tremolo bar going to fix ANYTHING? in fact if you watch just before he straddles the guitar (after humping the speaker cab... am I seriously dissecting this :lol: ) he grabs the strings a few times between all the noise and the notes come through just fine. not much cracking, no weird noises besides the obvious.

sorry to disappoint but that guy's amp is just broken and it has nothing to do with Jimi. Like has been pointed out in this thread, it didn't crackle with other guitars, and if you were going to smash a guitar, wouldn't you smash the one that had a bad solder somewhere?
AMEN to all of that and I'm amazed that this got ressurected again! Some people have WAY TOO much time on their hands!LOL!