Help me Find the Most Accurate Hendrix Neck!

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Help me Find the Most Accurate Hendrix Neck!

Post by theactor19 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I've seen the other neck thread, which isn't very accurate, and more for the specific player.

What I want is a true Hendrix neck that would be found on either this black strat or white strat, both with maple boards, that he used live from 1968-1970.

I was checking out this site http://www.eddievegas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and if you click on strat necks, you can find actual necks from 1968'. This site leads me to believe that Jimi's necks were Maple Capped. What do you guys think? Also his site is showing that most 68 strat necks has a Fat C neck profile, with a 7.25" neck radius.

Anyway, I'm thinking Musikraft might be the way to go. Can someone give me the exact specs to put their ordering form?

Also I emailed musikraft saying that I wanted to do a hendrix strat from 1968. Here was Jim's response:

"Hi, Id go with a medium C back profile, Maple on Maple, 9.5 Radius. Hope that helps. Thanks

Jim"

Not sure about the radius and the neck profile.

Lets get some thoughts. thanks guys!
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone seaker

Re: Help me Find the Most Accurate Hendrix Neck!

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

yea the original radius would be 7.25

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Here is what you need to keep in mind.

1st, NO two necks are EXACTLY the same. As an example, take the two maple board necks on Hendrix's '68 black strat or the white one. One is gonna be a little different than the other. This is due to the final shaping and sanding being done by hand.
The same goes for the bodies, etc.

2nd, I've had my hands around alot of late '60's strats, and though there is a common thread, there are variences.

The medium 'C' shape is what I'd go for. And yeah, 7.25 is the radius, and is responsible for some of the feel/vibe/sound that Hendrix imparted. This is another topic altogather though.

So, get the laminate maple fretboard with the 7.25 radius, vintage small frets , and the medium 'c' back contour. Do that, and as a final note, I would suggest taking this neck BEFORE you put it on a body, and before you finish it, etc, TO A GUITAR SHOW, where you can actually wrap your hand around a few late '60's strat necks.

Then you will know where to sand to get it right, though the medium 'c' is gonna be about there to begin with.

Order a neck too thin and your screwed, but to get it too fat means you can get it where you want it.

Even the custom shop '69 strat I had wasnt accurate. It had more of a '70's type feel to it's neck. So there IS NO getting an exact shape or feel unless you do it yourself really. A trusted luthier isnt a good Idea 'cause he isnt YOU.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

stef

Post by stef » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 pm

7.25"
1-5/8
vintage frets
i'd go with medium C back (?)
veneer
narrow dots

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Here is what you need to keep in mind.

1st, NO two necks are EXACTLY the same. As an example, take the two maple board necks on Hendrix's '68 black strat or the white one. One is gonna be a little different than the other. This is due to the final shaping and sanding being done by hand.
The same goes for the bodies, etc.

2nd, I've had my hands around alot of late '60's strats, and though there is a common thread, there are variences.

The medium 'C' shape is what I'd go for. And yeah, 7.25 is the radius, and is responsible for some of the feel/vibe/sound that Hendrix imparted. This is another topic altogather though.

So, get the laminate maple fretboard with the 7.25 radius, vintage small frets , and the medium 'c' back contour. Do that, and as a final note, I would suggest taking this neck BEFORE you put it on a body, and before you finish it, etc, TO A GUITAR SHOW, where you can actually wrap your hand around a few late '60's strat necks.

Then you will know where to sand to get it right, though the medium 'c' is gonna be about there to begin with.

Order a neck too thin and your screwed, but to get it too fat means you can get it where you want it.

Even the custom shop '69 strat I had wasnt accurate. It had more of a '70's type feel to it's neck. So there IS NO getting an exact shape or feel unless you do it yourself really. A trusted luthier isnt a good Idea 'cause he isnt YOU.

What do you mean by "laminate" maple fret board. I see veneer in the options at musikraft.

Also what kind of finish should it have?
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 pm

veneer is it.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:16 pm

So here is my musikraft order form so far. As u can see, there is alot that I am unsure of to find the perfect authentic hendrix neck. Advice is welcome. Thanks!

louis

Post by louis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:38 pm

I would go for semi rolled if I were you!

Louis

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:15 pm

louis wrote:I would go for semi rolled if I were you!

Louis
why do you say that?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 am

It is no coincidence that Jimi's two most favorite maple boarded Strat's were the white Woodstock model and his most favorite black BOG guitar. The maple cap necks were a special order and only in that 1968-69 time period if I am correct.
I absolutely love maple cap necks as I find them to be the best feeling and playing and sounding necks in the Fender style available.
I am not sure why Jimi's guitar neck dimensions are not recorded at Fender as I know that when the special three production Woodstock Strat's were built by the FMIC Custom Shop and which are mega-rare and exhibited by Fender, but never made for public sale. The did their usual digitized measurements I'm sure, but my gut feeling is that the black one's neck has a slightly deeper depth to the profile. If Uli Jon Roth ever wants to measure the black Strat he received from the late Monika Danneman, we would know, actually in an issue of Univibes, the guitar was reviewed, this has been published here before in the Hendrix section I am sure.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... c4a3ed.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... 5f0e7b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... 1ba22d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... 0d97b7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... 5cca58.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The absence of the walnut skunk strip has something to do with it.
My originally ordered Fullerton 1983 '57 Reissue Blackie is the only guitar I have with a vintage maple neck with rear loaded truss rod, my maple quilt Washburn SS-80 and my newly received custom built Matt Phillips Bunkman Guitars built Hamer SS-3 both have maple cap necks and they are superb. One day I wlll recreate my own Hendrix Blackie and Matt will build it for me using his non CNC hand built techniques, you guys should call him in Texas as he will build practically any style guitar to your exact specs. A CBS headstock maple cap would be a cinch from him, Musikcraft and Warmoth are not the only people capable of building fine necks. Just sayin'... :D
http://www.bunkmanguitars.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; tell Matt I sent you.
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exp69

Post by exp69 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:26 am

theactor19 wrote:Anyway, I'm thinking Musikraft might be the way to go. Can someone give me the exact specs to put their ordering form?
Yes, Musikraft make great necks. Back in '06 I've ordered maple cap from them and here are the specs:

Products Ordered:

2000-1 Strat Neck
Strat Head Shape Year: 69 CBS Big Head
Handed: Right Handed
Scale: Standard Fender 25.5
Neck and Finger Board Combination Style: With Glued Slab Finger Board
Nut Style: Vintage Style .125 Curved Bottom
Neck Wood: Rock Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Rock Maple
Number of Frets: Standard 21 Fret w/o Finger Board Extention
Finger Board Radius: 7.25
Finger Board Inlay: Black
Side Markers: Black 2 mm
Fret Size and Type: Medium 6105 (.095 Wide X .047 Tall)
Tuner Hole Size: Standard 10 mm Gotoh / Sperzel / Shaller
Nut Width: 1.650
Heel Type and Size: Standard Strat Heel 2-3/16
Truss Rod Option: Vintage Single Acting Adjust at Heel
Neck Profile: Med C .830 At First Fret .920 12th
Custom Upcharges as discussed with Sales Rep: None
Finish: Sealed Wood Stablizer Good for all Finishes
Additional Options: Standard Fender 12th Dots Spacing Narrow
Standard Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges

It is still my favorite neck. Here's a photo:

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm

exp69 wrote:
theactor19 wrote:Anyway, I'm thinking Musikraft might be the way to go. Can someone give me the exact specs to put their ordering form?
Yes, Musikraft make great necks. Back in '06 I've ordered maple cap from them and here are the specs:

Products Ordered:

2000-1 Strat Neck
Strat Head Shape Year: 69 CBS Big Head
Handed: Right Handed
Scale: Standard Fender 25.5
Neck and Finger Board Combination Style: With Glued Slab Finger Board
Nut Style: Vintage Style .125 Curved Bottom
Neck Wood: Rock Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Rock Maple
Number of Frets: Standard 21 Fret w/o Finger Board Extention
Finger Board Radius: 7.25
Finger Board Inlay: Black
Side Markers: Black 2 mm
Fret Size and Type: Medium 6105 (.095 Wide X .047 Tall)
Tuner Hole Size: Standard 10 mm Gotoh / Sperzel / Shaller
Nut Width: 1.650
Heel Type and Size: Standard Strat Heel 2-3/16
Truss Rod Option: Vintage Single Acting Adjust at Heel
Neck Profile: Med C .830 At First Fret .920 12th
Custom Upcharges as discussed with Sales Rep: None
Finish: Sealed Wood Stablizer Good for all Finishes
Additional Options: Standard Fender 12th Dots Spacing Narrow
Standard Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges

It is still my favorite neck. Here's a photo:
Hey Man,

couple questions:
1) Nut Style: Vintage Style .125 Curved Bottom <-- is this right for hendrix strat?

2) also I noticed you got medium sized frets, instead of the vintage.

3) I was thinking of just getting the shellac finish as it is included. Would this be good? I dont think they still offer the stabilized wood finish that you got.

Anyway, great looking strat (and strap!) Thanks

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Hey Guys,

So I'm gonna order this neck in the next few days for my 68 hendrix style strat:

Questions:

1) I have a Tokai TST-50 Strat (MIJ).. looks just like a regular fender strat. Will this neck fit my Tokai strat body?

2) Let me know if anything in the order form looks out of place.

3) Tuner Hole Size: Klusion 11/32" <--- Is this correct if I were to purchase Fender F style tuners? Would it fit?

4) I did vintage sized frets. I noticed other people got medium frets on their hendrix strats. Why is this? which should I get?

5) I did a Flat nut style. Is this correct, or is it the vintage curved? I believe some were saying the vintage curved is found on 50s strats.

6) Since finish is rather expensive, is the shellac alright? I heard its really fast. Does the finish have an affect on tone and playability?

Thanks guys!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 pm

A couple of things to consider,

1) Do you have the saddles on your bridge (Tokai) as high as they will go, or do you have more range(setting them higher) if needed ? If you go 'vintage' style frets (I think you are, right ?) then you should be alright. If you go for bigger frets, then sometimes they are to high for the saddles.

2) The shellac is almost unoticable. I would get a local luthier to spray it with nitro (or poly) and get a F****r logo. I love the feel of these necks.

3) The klusion hole is smaller than the 'F' tuner holes.

Good luck with it !
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

exp69

Post by exp69 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 am

theactor19 wrote: Hey Man,

couple questions:
1) Nut Style: Vintage Style .125 Curved Bottom <-- is this right for hendrix strat?

2) also I noticed you got medium sized frets, instead of the vintage.

3) I was thinking of just getting the shellac finish as it is included. Would this be good? I dont think they still offer the stabilized wood finish that you got.

Anyway, great looking strat (and strap!) Thanks
1) Nut style is right for that kind of neck.

2) I don't like vintage frets so I've ordered 6105's.

3) shellac is fine but it's hardly noticable on it. I'd use verly light tinted nitro..