Villanova Acoustic

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Skip Regan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Villanova Acoustic

Post by Skip Regan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Just stumbled on this incredible acoustic version of Villanova Junction by Steve Tibbetts. He mimed the guitar over an earlier studio recording for this video. Beautiful recording. You can tell he's a big Jimi fan. Check out his album YR - great trippy guitar instrumental music!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNImbkQkow[/youtube]

Tone seaker

Re: Villanova Acoustic

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm

wow really nice. It just makes me even more aware of how great Jimi was. He could write and play every thing from blues to heavy rock to this.

Skip Regan

Post by Skip Regan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Guess I should have been clearer. Steve Tibbetts mimed playing over his own studio recording of Villanova Junction. Jimi does not play on this track. Tibbetts does stay very faithful to the electric version that Jimi played at Woodstock and plays it pretty much note for note.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:58 pm

i love it when too rarely something new blows my mind like that. i want such guitar ! it sounds so good !
someone was talking about some guitar synthetizer effects or something ....really ?
is it the guitar alone ? amazing ! is there some kind of volume pedal to introduce some variations in a supposed mic'ed guitar going through a reverb, and mixed , balanced with the guitar alone ?
he's got so much sustain , and a chorus kind of sound sometimes ... it must really be a pleasure to play this guitar, and thanks to let me discover this guitarist. i also feel like i rediscover once again how genius jimi hendrix was, able to improvise a pure classic, made to be remembered for centurys , school cases.
yeah, we really need more guitarists like this steve tibbets, lot of soul and feel. no "cheating".

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 pm

another genius . from the movie motorcycle diaries ( the che ) . love this guitarist gustavo santaolalla
a bi into the direction of this previous awsome guitarist, so i think that you might appreciate. though it's not really for the hendrix section.
What beautiful reverb do you think it is ? i'm very curious about that. it sounds a bit like a tape echo high ends, but no ... more complex

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwosB3r8gz8[/youtube]

dav_z84

Post by dav_z84 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:17 pm

@Xplorer:
Thank you for posting a Gustavo Santaolalla video, finally i've discovered who composed the soundtrack of some of my favourite movies: motorcycle diaries, babel and brokeback mountain.
I'm quite sure that the effect used on the video is a plate reverb or some digital algorithm that sounds very close to that kind of device.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:27 pm

thanks, i'll invetigate about the plate reverb.

louis

Post by louis » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:40 am

Xplorer wrote:thanks, i'll invetigate about the plate reverb.

Feels like a reverse plate reverb to me !