Woodstock Tubes (An Expedition)

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Woodstock Tubes (An Expedition)

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 am

yes but he isn't satisfied. Jimi loved siemens tubes, and they sound different from what i was told. Cool for the shared cathode.
now maybe work on the fuzz as thre are some infinite variations that act on the tone, and perhaps change this bridge pickup that sounds bad according to him. but anyway, 69 pickups are well known for this bright cristal tone. i suppose that a setup can magnify this characteristic and another one can make it sound bad.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:12 am

Xplorer wrote:yes but he isn't satisfied. Jimi loved siemens tubes, and they sound different from what i was told. Cool for the shared cathode.
now maybe work on the fuzz as thre are some infinite variations that act on the tone, and perhaps change this bridge pickup that sounds bad according to him. but anyway, 69 pickups are well known for this bright cristal tone. i suppose that a setup can magnify this characteristic and another one can make it sound bad.
where did you get your information. I have been a Hendrix freak for 35+ years reaserching every thing about him for over 35 years and never heard anything about the brand of tubes he used. I have only heard the one thing supposedly by some tech that he used 6550's and that is not totaly confirmed as fact. The woodstock amps were probably bra new using EL34 and 12AX7's all mullards. I have seen one at the experience music thing in seattle and looked in the back and it looked like EL 34's

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 am

how i wish i had seen this amp at the EMP ! but it wasn't there when i went in Seattle last year in april - may.

for the tubes, i just know it. it's said from different persons, and in various places. he also liked telefunkens and RCA.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 am

Xplorer wrote:how i wish i had seen this amp at the EMP ! but it wasn't there when i went in Seattle last year in april - may.

for the tubes, i just know it. it's said from different persons, and in various places. he also liked telefunkens and RCA.
Just knowing will never make me belive that. Like I said I reasherch Hendrix since the eraly 70's reading every thing that came out and neveard one thing about the brand of tubes. Back in those days people were not tube brand fanatics like they are now. I wasn't and no one I knew of was. We just replacements and put them in.

So did they take that Stack if Jimi's out of the musium. When I was there it was in the front of the Jimi room with mitchs ludwig drum set and the out fit from Isle of the white

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 am

yes, i understand. in my case, i'll try these tubes. it's said to sound good in an amp like that.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Tone seaker wrote:
Xplorer wrote:The woodstock amps were probably bra new using EL34 and 12AX7's all mullards.
That's what tube tramp said.

As for the shared/split. I'm going to stay with the build that george created for me. Perhaps if all else fails I'll start changing things in the circuit. :wink:

As for the RFTs, Telsas and Mullards, what kind of sonic differences do each of these possess?

If money was no object, which would get me closest to the Woodstock tone?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Brandon wrote:
Tone seaker wrote:
Xplorer wrote:The woodstock amps were probably bra new using EL34 and 12AX7's all mullards.
That's what tube tramp said.

As for the shared/split. I'm going to stay with the build that george created for me. Perhaps if all else fails I'll start changing things in the circuit. :wink:

As for the RFTs, Telsas and Mullards, what kind of sonic differences do each of these possess?

If money was no object, which would get me closest to the Woodstock tone?
wierd, i didn't write that... looking at the quote. bug

for your question, i think you have some answers already, but more specificaly, getting the woodstock tone, looking only at tubes is just a part of the woodstock way i think.
for the shared/splitt cathode , what do you have in fact ? you know this is a simple one wire mod to do, and it radicaly changes the amp. you should test that and a home made fuzz, with a low input impedance, etc . the woodstock tone IMHO , even in the less distorted tones, is due a lot to the fuzz he had, going into the univibe, and his pickups. for the tubes, keep the mullards and try what you didn't try yet, the other aspects of the setup, appart from tubes. i suppose that most tubes would get you there anyway. if you already have some nos mullards in it and that you're not satisfied with your quest, you're maybe looking in the wrong direction. RFT , tesla, mullards ... what did tubetramp say ? he's probably one of the best to answer that.
but i doubt that from one brand to another it'll change 50% or your tone..

please ! post some clips ! :toast:

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 pm

The NOS power tubes will have more headroom and give you better fidelity sound than the CP ones. They will not make a drastic difference but a subtle one compared to CP. The NOS Preamp tubes, have a more pronounced effect on your tone, I would definitely put a nice strong NOS Mulluerd in the V3 PI spot as well as the V1 spot. I still like the Brimar in the V2 that is what I have in my 1970 Super Lead. I would also recommend taking that base plate off your bridge pickup. And I run my Treble Mid and Presence at around 3 or 4 not 10 . Also try the Normal Channel with the Bridge Pickup ;)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:35 pm

look, here it is about the tubes i mentioned :

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about the siemens, my bad, i forgot that what i read was about some quads of EL34. but i'm sure i've read something about RCA and Telefunken preamp tubes for Jimi.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 pm

So i've been doing research looking for xf2's and haven't found ANY.

They seem to be either all gone or from completely unreliable sources (like ebay).

But I HAVE come across a quad of xf4's from a reliable source.

Can anybody tell me what the difference (if any) there are between the xf2 and xf4?

I know the 2's were made in britain and the 4's in holland.

Do you think I can still nail the woodstock tone with xf4's?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 pm

please, what speakers are you using ?

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Celestion Anniversaries g12h30s 75hz

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:13 pm

if you want a big difference in your quest, i'd strongly advice you some pre rola g12h30 75hz . i endly received my first one and i can't wait to try it ; )
so many peoples say how much they sound different from the reissues, copys .....

and also, if you want this thing going on into your amp that you described in the beginning : SHARED CATHODE ! now your tubes will sound different. one wire mod, reversible, so easy. at least it might lead you in some other directions and as you're used to the split cathode for a while now, with all these tubes, it'll make you feel funny to hear all that with this difference.
the split cathod sounds too harsh to me, really not hendrix to my ears. if jimi prefered it, you should give it a try. and then, let us know ! cause it should be very interesting to hear what you're thinking, after this mod, compared to what you successfully reached already. and i strongly think that it should help you in your tube quest.changing tube isn't gonna change all these other things going on in this tone, alone. just my opinion.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:24 pm

this could help

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... h&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm really just focused on tubes right now and am trying to figure out what the differences are in the xf4's and xf2's.