Hendrix amp settings

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Hendrix amp settings

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:31 am

Just currious any one that has a 69 super lead or clone what they think Hendrix set his presence, trebble, mid, bass volume 1, and volum 2. I know he probably changed them a little show to show but most touring people like that have basic settings. Like Trower he has stars paisted on his amps so that he can set it the same every time.

supro48

Re: Hendrix amp settings

Post by supro48 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:50 am

i thought Hendrix put everything on 10 and manipulated his tone and volume controls on his guitars. :jimi:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:20 am

i know that he didn't set his amp volume at max, but that's all i know.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:42 pm

I have seen clips where he would go over and ajust his amp durring a song a example would be bleeding heart at the royal albert hall. So he did not run them flat out and that is what im currious about if any one has dialed in his tone and what there settings are. look here at around 2:50 it looks like he ajust the presence

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8N-4SH8jYQ[/youtube]

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3YyhUce9kw[/youtube]

In the beginning it shows him using the wah and fuzz face. Not amp related but cool.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am

By the end of the show everything was on ten so it depends if you want beginning show sound or end. :shred:

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:29 am

I know that if I try to put everything on 10 with my JTM45 it sounds bad. Muddy. Maybe the 100w is different.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:06 am

908ssp wrote:By the end of the show everything was on ten so it depends if you want beginning show sound or end. :shred:
I have to disagree. You only ocasionaly see him ajust his amp and its one knob. There are many videos of the whole concert and he dones not touch the amp. One is the Band of Gypsys which shows between songs. My 68 super lead sounds bad with every thing on 10 but really good on 8 just not quite the exact Hendrix sound so I am asking for final tweeks from people who know or have it nailed. I have seen to many pro's amps who dont run them flat out and get great tones. Look at Robin Trowers. He gets pretty Hendrixy without running it flat out. If any one goes for the Hendrix tone and gets close please post. Thanks

Trowers amp

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 am

He always ran them flat out and sometimes tweaked prescence or switched the stand by switches on when adding a second amp into the mix. At the tail out of Machine Gun from BOG you can see him reach back and cut the 2nd amp on for the feedback portion. There were many times when he would do that if the amps were giving him grief or he was frustrated with his sound. Myself personally cannot get the Hendrix tones unless the amp is dimed but thats just me.http://youtu.be/TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stef

Post by stef » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:55 am

everything on 10 works (high bright input only)

That Trowers' amp is a master volume amp (2203), no good for ole Jimi

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am

stef wrote:everything on 10 works (high bright input only)

That Trowers' amp is a master volume amp (2203), no good for ole Jimi
yes but it shows that his Mid. Bass, Presence and trebble are not dimmed just like i dont believe Jimis were. I think he was to tone concuius just to dim every thing

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 am

IMHO, he was after more treble, as many said he claimed, and he didn't set his amp volumes at max, or perhaps just sometimes But the fuzz did a lot. Also, to really hear the hendrix sound, you may have to use an old LP, and use it with a great hi fi amp. Trebles and mediums won't be the same.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:04 am

Guys, it's been well documented in interviews with his roadies like Gary Stickells,Eric Barrett,and others that he DIMED everything to get the absolute most from the Marshall's when playing live. If you've been a vintage Marshall aficiando as long as I have you learn from much experimentation that this is a true statement because that is the way that the Fuzzface best interacted to get the huge tones he produced. I listen to many Youtube clips and such of guys going for that tone and many totally miss that fact and wind up with tones that are thin and anemic sounding and anything but Hendrix tonally. It was a combination of the pedal AND the amplifier at max volume that made that sound. In the studio he did try many different things and settings like we all do but live was a different story.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 am

agree on the difference between live and studio. But in some lives, i don't hear a dimed marshall everytimes.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm

swankmotee wrote:Guys, it's been well documented in interviews with his roadies like Gary Stickells,Eric Barrett,and others that he DIMED everything to get the absolute most from the Marshall's when playing live. .
I have read every thing i could find on Hendrix for 40 years and never read anything where a roadie said he dimed every thing can you give a link i just have never seen that and have read a lot. It has always been just regular people claiming that. When he uses the shared cathode amps if he dimmed the bass it would be a mud hole. I am asking about his 69-70 sounds though just to clarify. I run my 68 super lead with every thing on 10 and it does not sound like Hendrix it sounds more like him with it all on 8 but not exactly.