Opinions ? Little wing tone

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Opinions ? Little wing tone

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi,

i actualy don't know the answer to this. I never heard anybody sounding like jimi on the studio version of little wing, even jimi himself sounded different for sure, when he played it live;
For sure it's in the studio, with kramer, etc ... but which amp do you think it was ?
Is it this particular blackflag as everyone agrees on saying that it's the one that was used on axis ? ( though with less gain , cleaner tone ) . i suppose that Castle made of sand is coming from a jtm45/100 , right ?
i'm thinking of building one, just between my jtm45/100 project, and my metroamp SL69 rebuild.
I'm looking for some infos, layours. found several thread, especialy the one of Shakti, but i didn't find a layout yet, alled blackflag ^^
help appreciated. :wink:
Thanks !

supro48

Re: Opinions ? Little wing tone

Post by supro48 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Jimi used a leslie speaker for little wing.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 pm

yes, thanks. i know he did, just after the intro. But the texture of this sound, makes me wonder which amp he used.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 pm

I always thought it was a Twin or a Leslie (before the solo) but always wondered if it was done with a Tele or a slab board Stratocaster and not his main Show fiddles. He was very tone savvy with his arrangements.

Ya' buildin' a 45/100 ! :thumbsup: My next amp too !
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 pm

a slapboartd stratocaster ? sorry, what do you mean ?
i saw a picture of him playing a strat with a maple telecaster neck but well ... so not a marshall ?
in the intro i don't hear a leslie, only when the other instruments start.
could that be a blackflag played with a lower volume, cleaner sound ? cause there's some dirt / grainy breakup.
Could that be a fuzz with a low voltage battery ?

yeah, JTM 45/100 ; ) :toast: endly ! but not started yet

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I've seen live photos of him playing a backline of Fenders. Not sure what they were, dual showman maybe?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Sure, he had several. dual showman, twin ( at least two of each ) .
so ... Guys you're thinking of the fender amps direction ?

Mynameisfritz
Location: Germany, Krauttown - in the middle of some cabbage fields

Post by Mynameisfritz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:32 pm

A few months ago I tried to get as close as I can to this tone with what I have and recorded some clips with my ’69 JMP 1986, a 4x12 with G12H30 Pre-Rolas, an old Dallas Arbiter Silicon Fuzz with BC 209’s, a KR Gypsy Fuzz, a Shin Ei Univibe, a Megavibe and my Baldringer Dual Drive. I like the clips with the Gypsy Fuzz and the switched off Univibe best – although I still wasn’t able to nail the tone exactly. In my opinion there’s definitely some germanium or silicon in the signal chain. A JTM45/100 with KT66’s and some G12M25’s would be good either. The other thing is that Jimi picked this intro with his fingers… doesn’t he?

Hope that helps:

Just the amp: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103628

with dimed Gypsy Fuzz: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103643

with the Fuzz Face dimed: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103644

with the Univibe switched off and a tiny bit of crunch from the Baldringer DD: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103646

with the Univibe on and the Baldringer: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103647

with the Megavibe: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... D=10103648

I don't think it was a Fender. The Twin he used on f.e. 'One Rainy Wish' sounds different, clearer, Blackface...
Martin
Soundclips

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks. To me, definitely no univibe as it was recorded in 1967, but sure, a leslie, but not in the intro. maybe a little overdub about the bigger string on the intro.
Yes, a fuzz, perhaps, one of the first silicon, or a germanium, hybrid , i don't know. there's a creamy tone along with a dirty tone. but what i heard from the black flag, ( from axis instrumental , or winterland etc .. ) could go in the little wing direction, but just not played hard. and it seems to sound shared cathode, and more in the jtm45/100 preamp filtering ( that's almost what's on a blackflag ) , but probably more el34 rather than kt66. but i could certainly be completely wrong as i didn't experiment it. it's just an advice from my ears, and the infos related to what i heard.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Yes ! A Showman (piggy back) too, but thought it was with 2x15s' ... :what:
I'm assuming the Leslie comes in around 20 sec then changes agian at the lead.
Yes, I do hear a low growl in the notes. Could be the fuzz on low or the amp jumped Ch. 1 to 2 or the reverb circuit jump or reverse volume. Also to think about in your equation what speakers he could have used like Jensen, Oxford, EVM, Utah, JBL...
Heck, he could of used a Blonde to get that rumble...
Xplorer wrote:a slapboartd stratocaster ? sorry, what do you mean ?
i saw a picture of him playing a strat with a maple telecaster neck but well ... so not a marshall ?
in the intro i don't hear a leslie, only when the other instruments start.
could that be a blackflag played with a lower volume, cleaner sound ? cause there's some dirt / grainy breakup.
Could that be a fuzz with a low voltage battery ?

yeah, JTM 45/100 ; ) :toast: endly ! but not started yet
A slapboartd stratocaster ? haha ! yeah that's the one he gave to Ritchie because he thought that burning the guitar was waaaaay cooler than smashin' it ! :lol:

1958/mid-1959 to August 1962 :wink:

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 pm

yngwie308 might know some info's... ?

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 am

This has been bugging me for a long time. No one knows for sure. I don't have any fenders, but to my ear tehy can come close, BUT i feel like they don't have that bite and detail that you hear with little wing. Also, none of the up to 67 Marshalls can get as bright either. Another song on Axis that has a very bitey and detailed tone is you got me floatin. I think it's the same amp. And i don't think there is a way a fender can pull this off, even with a germanium fuzz, as it gets too wooly, even when cleaned up quite a bit.
The only way i have been able to remotely approximate this tone is with the Hiwatt amp sim in Amplitube 3.
You have to dial it in quite on the bright side and then it starts to sound really close. If it's true that a Sound City amp was used on this album, then i'm sure that's the ticket.
I think this is a question that should be directed to the hiwatt owners here - anyone feel like they are able to nail little wing and you got me floatin tones with these amps?

oh, and it certainly sounds like a strat neck/middle position on Little Wing, no tele for sure.

pancri

Post by pancri » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 pm

i read that hendrix for axis bold as love clean tone used a super PA (the 8 inputs plexi)
i don't know if it's true because i've never played a super PA