Post Clips of YOUR Hendrix Tone

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post Clips of YOUR Hendrix Tone

Post by theactor19 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 am

Post your audio (or video) clips showcasing your hendrix tone. And of course, let us know what your set-up is.

:toast:
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Xplorer

Re: Post Clips of YOUR Hendrix Tone

Post by Xplorer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 am

Good idea, that's a fun project. i probably will later.

mathd

Post by mathd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 pm

If am not a really good player, am not trying to play and sound exactly like hendrix, can i still post? I think, despite not being really good i can nail some interesting hendrix-like tone.
Am ready to share info on my setup anytime and ready to take advice on improving my playing abilities. Especially with the wah pedal voodoo child into, seems like i have no clue wtf i am doing with the pedal and am just trying to make it sounds good.
I rarly record myself because i think am not a good player, but everyonce i do i like the way it sound, despite my poor playing :(
Mathieu

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:35 pm

ahh. don't worry about the playin, bro.
How 'bout you tell me what you'd like to hear...
Lil' Wing, Wind cries, Voodoo, Rock Me? Let me guess... B.O.G. stuff ? :P Which one ? :jimi:
Or even Trower ?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

mathd

Post by mathd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Next time i play ill take some recording, i dont have a recording equipment just a camcorder but as am not playing very loud it make for a neat recording usally.

Cant wait to hear some hendrix tone clip.

I will have some short lead mustard .022u 400v and some piher 1/2 for sale soon just for the forum guys. Am waiting the piher to arrive first(and still trying to figure a fair price) :)
Mathieu

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Here is a short clip that I have posted before of an instrumental version of "Killing Floor"...I did this in 1993-the audio comes from a VHS of a small club that I played...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWUY3ewSErA[/youtube]

1968 strat>>ca. 1983 TS-808 Tube Screamer>>80s Dunlop Reissue FuzzFace>>1965 Fender Super Reverb (volume at about 3 for small club)

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

area51 wah -> microvibe->red dot sunface (I think, the red dot works berst in most of the bright rooms I end up in so that's what I've been grabbing lately) -> plexi project amp (shared cathode, bright tone stack, .1 output caps, post PI master, low-ish filtering, scumback h55)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1Z8E9Lh8Y[/youtube]

Fuzznut

Post by Fuzznut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:30 pm

my old super bass setup:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuHxTvPeHik[/youtube]

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:40 pm

wow, i'm quite impressed with this superbass clip !
makes me want to mod my metro SL69 with a switch for Lead/bass spec. here's already a switch for shared/split cathode.

is this one pure stock values ? which tubes ?
except the univibe, anything else than the reverb added i guess ?

Fuzznut

Post by Fuzznut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Xplorer wrote:wow, i'm quite impressed with this superbass clip !
makes me want to mod my metro SL69 with a switch for Lead/bass spec. here's already a switch for shared/split cathode.

is this one pure stock values ? which tubes ?
except the univibe, anything else than the reverb added i guess ?
Not sure but maybe just the lead tone stack. I had few mods on it over time, lead tone stack, low filtering, negative feedback resistor etc. never tried split cathode. I liked stock values in that amp the best in the end though, for that fat clean tone. Svetlana Winged C EL34 and Mullard 12AX7 tubes.

Pedals I used late '60s Vox Wah, DOD Overdrive Preamp FX50 (kinda like the DOD 250), Danelectro Chicken Salad (modded), Electro Harmonix POG and Alesis Nanoverb.

In the clip there's many things coloring the amp's basic tone; Lar/Mar PPIMV set low, the DOD FX50, the Nanoverb and last but not least the camera recorder itself.

Thanks for watching!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Fuzznut wrote:my old super bass setup:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuHxTvPeHik[/youtube]
Very nice! Great playing and great tone...what else could we ask for?!

What sort of guitar are you using there? Looks like a late 60s model like mine from what I can see of it in the clip...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 pm

i think i'd love an harmonix pog, i didn't know it : is that what produces these nice bassy sounds in the end of the clip ?
love it ! i'm sure hendrix would have loved it also. it fits very well this BOG song and the wah. pog for bog lol

but i guess ... a ps5 boss pitch shifter could do the same right ? along with a univibe and a wah ...perhaps a monstruous cool germanium fuzz, hendrix feedbacks and sustain, monstruous tone ! lol

do you have some hi res pictures of the inside of your amp ? i'd be curious to see it ; )

mathd

Post by mathd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 am

Am pretty new to the strat am still experimenting alot with her, and have problem with the sling sliding off every soo often.
Jsut skip the first few minutes
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMg9WaA8y4[/youtube]
I remember why i stopped recording myself, it make me want to sell everything and stop playing soo much i suck but ohh well, am just gonna keep trying again and again until i get better.
Last edited by mathd on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mathieu

Fuzznut

Post by Fuzznut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:22 am

garbeaj wrote: Very nice! Great playing and great tone...what else could we ask for?!

What sort of guitar are you using there? Looks like a late 60s model like mine from what I can see of it in the clip...
Thanks!

Guitar is an early 80's Tokai Silver Star (4-bolt neck) which is basically a reissue of a late 60's strat.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/ ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fuzznut

Post by Fuzznut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 am

Xplorer wrote:i think i'd love an harmonix pog, i didn't know it : is that what produces these nice bassy sounds in the end of the clip ?
love it ! i'm sure hendrix would have loved it also. it fits very well this BOG song and the wah. pog for bog lol

but i guess ... a ps5 boss pitch shifter could do the same right ? along with a univibe and a wah ...perhaps a monstruous cool germanium fuzz, hendrix feedbacks and sustain, monstruous tone ! lol

do you have some hi res pictures of the inside of your amp ? i'd be curious to see it ; )
Yes POG is fun! I had the mini POG version to be exact. I have now a BOSS OC-3 which is ok. There's a POG2 out now that must be cool. We didn't have a bass player in our band so at gigs we used an octave pedal with these Super Bass amps hehe.

I have some inside pics on the other PC but it's giving me the black screen of death at the moment so have to fix that first somehow.

Anyway keep those clips coming! Really nice tones in this thread! :jimi: