What do YOU think is the best hendrix pickups?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What do YOU think is the best hendrix pickups?

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 pm

oh, ok , thanks. yes, it's been a while since i wanted to buy a steel trem block. It's just very expensive but i'm still interested, although i'm not sure of the kind of metal that is on my two points 91 jeff beck strats. Same model as the american standard synchronised tremolo.

http://fatboyguitars.co.uk/category/461 ... parts.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

ok, interesting story about the cs pickups, you may have convinced me.
Anyway, Jimi played a lot of different strats, stock pickups as roger mayer claims. i like his earlier tones too ..
But it's really nice how a strat can be tuned and changed ... these instruments are magic.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Xplorer, it's interesting to note according to many sources that Jimi was accustomed to picking up any guitar, and if it worked for him he used it (even though he could have any guitar he wanted). That's why he used a lot of righty late 60's Fender strats with the large headstocks because that was what was available off the racks. Also Cesar Diaz noted in an old interview that in Hendrix's time there were such things as high end guitar cables available but Jimi didn't (like/use) them because he preferred the cheapo coiled guitar cables instead. In the same article, Cesar also stated that he had gotten a endorsement for SRV with Monster Cables, and Stevie was unhappy because he said Monster Cables passed too much electricity or i.e. the Monster Cables were "too efficient". Cesar also said something which I believe to be true about strat pups, "I'd set it up so that the neck pickup would be about 5.5K or 5.75K, and go only up to 6.0K ohms and any more than that and you're just going to get mud. I know that because I've had hundreds of pickups go through my hands." It just so happens that Fender 69' pickups are wound @ 5.7K Ohms thesedays and they used to measure 5.5K, interesting huh?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Xplorer, seriously check out the link I gave you. Steel and Brass tremolo blocks are $22.00 and $25.00 USD respectively from Guitar Fetish or GFS.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Xplorer, sorry I missed the Jeff Beck strat part. If your tremolo block is not a consistent thickness from top to bottom, say the block is thinner in thickness where the strings first enter the trem block then you might want to consider a block otherwise stay with what you've got.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 pm

thanks, i still don't really know what metal is on my jeff beck strats trem block. i think it's steel, not sure.
Anyway, fat boy was ok to give a shape to the trem block i needed.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Xplorer, does the tremolo block look "shaved" down in any way (where the strings enter the block)?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 pm

... "shaved" ? french guy here, sorry i don't see what you mean :wink:
it's some kind of grey, covering some bit more shiny metal i'd say.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Shaved down - to thin down or to thin out i.e. not a consistent thickness
*See if you can paste this in your address bar to get a look at the differences that I mention.*

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... BQ&dur=359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm

i see. Yes, shaved, but this model :

http://www.google.fr/imgres?start=122&u ... s:122,i:99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Xplorer, then buy yourself a steel block for an american strat. The spacing should be the same as the american standard strat uses the same knife edge (two post) tremolo that the Jeff Beck model does.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 am

but who knows if i need it .. i'll have to verify the kind of metal used for my actual block, when i'll have some time. cheers.

agree, hendrix pickups would have a low inductance, they won't be hot 8- 9k stuffs for sure.
slider's pickup sometimes offer some pickups made with wire from the 60', that has an unconsistant thickness, which differs from the modern productions. Alnico 3 or 5, i don't remember what would be the best. ask rod.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu May 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Xplorer, In the case of your tremolo block it may actually be all steel but, a full size "vintage" tremolo block made for an American Strat spacing will give you slightly more mass than what you have now, and you could even go to a brass tremolo block for that matter (so long as it's spaced also for an American Strat). The Slider pickups are great if you don't mind paying around $325.00 U.S.D. (or greater) for a strat pickup set. FWIW, I recently lined up the parts for a friend to build a clone of David Gilmour's White Fender '54 #0001 Strat (the gold hardware strat) My friend wanted a white strat guitar but he admired the benchmark sound that David Gilmour gets with his now famous Black Fender 70's strat, so I suggested that we build him a replica of David Gilmour's White Fender '54 strat with gold hardware, with the minor difference being that we would install the guts of David Gilmour's Black Fender Strat guitar (pickups and all). Guess what pickups Gilmour uses? 2 X Fender '69 pickups (one in the neck and one in the middle positions). The bridge pickup I ordered from Seymour Duncan's custom shop to the specifications submitted by David Gilmour is named the SSL-1C DG pickup which is a single coil like the SD SSL-1 pup, only this pup reads approximately 13K ohms. Normally 13K ohms would appear to be too hot and muddy for anything other than (classic rock/heavy metal) BUT the SSL-1C DG cleans up very nicely when controlling the volume at the guitar. I couldn't believe how well the 5.7K ohm Fender '69 pups (sounded/blended) with the 13K ohm SD SSL-1C DG pickup. Everybody that has heard my buddies new strat has been overwhelmingly impressed with how accurate and close to David Gilmour's sound this guitar gets AND it cleans up very nicely.

mathd

Post by mathd » Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 am

Where can i buy slider's cs69? i can't find them on google.
Mathieu

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am

Mmh, maybe type "slider's pickups rod" on google, so you get his myspace page , or directly type slider's pickups on ebay world.