Bought a Fender Blues Deluxe - Making it hendrixy

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Bought a Fender Blues Deluxe - Making it hendrixy

Post by theactor19 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey Guys,

So I just picked up a used 90s' era MIA Fender Blues Deluxe.

The guy said they were retubed with fender tubes.

Now I'm looking to make the amp sound more hendrixy. My favorite concerts of his are LA Forum, Berkeley, Winterland, etc.

So what should I change out to get me closer. Tubes? what kind? Speaker? what kind?

Thanks guys!
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

VintageCharlie

Re: Bought a Fender Blues Deluxe - Making it hendrixy

Post by VintageCharlie » Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Putting some sort of a marshall superlead/bass next to the blues deluxe might help a lot :)

But, probably, with a fender amp it might be best to use some pedal that gets a plexi tone going. Tubes won't change the tone drastically. Speakers would be a big tonal change, but it is an expensive investment - celestion green backs of some sort might be a good choice.

One thing, at least to my ears - the most "hendrixy" sounding thing about any piece of gear (besides a strat) is the uni-vibe - it instantly makes almost any amp sound hendrixy (but of course, that is not a tone that you might want to have on all songs).

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri May 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Putting some sort of a marshall superlead/bass next to the blues deluxe might help a lot
for sure ^^^

i'd advise you to perhaps make your fender : vintage fender. This is very hendrixy. So many studio songs he did with fender amps...
keep it fender. analyse the circuit, and compare it to the old ones, showman, bassman etc. But take your time. then after hearing it, why not changing a few caps for some mustards, why not ?
Transformers and tubes would be the big change, but then, why not simply building a marshall ....
then, some good fuzz, and indeed, trying it on some greenbacks is a good idea i guess.

this guy plays on fender, with a crappy digitech univibe, and absolutely not a strat, but ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtbDhGaQ6qo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 pm

yup, great playing... and some sort of uni-vibe and it's all there. But a fender would have a hard time getting the more extreme hendrix tones. I'd also concur with Xplorer - you won't turn a fender into a Marshall with a few cheap tweaks. By the time it will sound marshally, you'll have invested a lot - rather take a look for a nice marshall - an older jcm800 maybe (Randy Hansen nails Hendrix tones with those models) - just a marshall that is close to the classic circuits and isn't turned into a gain monster.