Troubleshooting Hendrix's Bridge Pickup (woodstock)

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Brandon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Troubleshooting Hendrix's Bridge Pickup (woodstock)

Post by Brandon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Fact,

Hendrix had the stock, very weak single coils (like the Fender '69's) in his white '68 and his black '68. The Black '68 seemed to be a better sounding Alder body, since all the other variables seem to be the same. The white one was awesome as well, but seemed to be a tad more shrill, and the set up wasnt quite as good (I hear more 'near fret outs' around the 14th fret F# area. A guitars neck and body are what will make the bridge pu sound good, regardless of output.

I would get several 2 piece Alder bodies and swap out the parts from one to another. When you find the right one, you will know it.

Also, the Fender reissue 6 screw tremelo is better sounding (especially on a single coil equipped strat) than the Callaham. The Callaham is brighter and has less Warmth. The Fender reissue is more accurate to what Hendrix had on his.
You're sure it's 2 piece alder and not one piece? I have a 2 piece alder right now. I think also my neck is causing a lot of issues. I just had it dressed but it didn't really seem to help all that much

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Rod from slider's sold me some wax cap replicas used by then. some sound better than some other, more musical. that's maybe why i don't have this problem with my set, along with a great old fender maple neck and a great body ?
about the twangy tone, funny thing is that this strat i'm talking about has a little switch on the pickguard, that allows the neck and bridge pickup to be played together, or even all three pickups together. very interesting : the strat becomes a telecaster ! it's a david gilmour strat replica i've made. that's why. it's awsome.
But i have a two points synchronised tremolo. i know that a six screws bridge, stuck on the body thanks to the springs, would sound better but it's fine anyway the way it is.
the 69 set has a weak output anyway so even if your bridge pickup has a tad more output, it wouldn't be the point. i'd still say : look at how it would sound, on a shared cathode configuration. different, certainly what you're looking for. just take a solder gun, a wire, and in the next 30 minutes you'll know. if you don't like, you can go back anyway. you probably won't.
again, IMO, this is why, and i could compare, so i tell you. still the split cathode problem.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm

EXACTLY what TS said about the Alder bods. This is a crucial part of the equation. The bridge pup picks up on this (no pun intended.)

Jimi's Blk/Mpl is something special alright. In that black & white AATWT vid he's using that same guitar that he used in BOG.
( my bet, sounds like the same setup before the 'new" line-up.) This is a Jewel of a vid.
He's using a half stack. The tone is sick and is hotter than BOG. In the vid comparison, it sounds like if it were shared cathode and BOG split.
BUT... The BOG vid is sheer balls ! Apple & Oranges, yes, but that tone & attack in the AATWT vid is lazer beam hot and is becoming one of my fav tones from Jimi's huge & diversified library.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 pm

please, what does AATWT means ? :D i'd love to see this video too !

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:11 pm

All Along The Watch Tower

Opps ! wrong vid :oops:
This is the vid ! :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgczPaSar4[/youtube]
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Hot !!! :toast:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 am

Alder wood is mainly only available in AT LEAST a 2 piece. 3 Piece alder bodies are common as well, though I think Fender used mainly 2 piece Alder back in the day/s. Most I've checked out were 2 piece center seamed.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 am

I'm wondering : Can we be sure that the black strat was totaly stock ? Couldn't he choose a black body he previously used at some point, with this neck just because he had experienced it already, knowing it was a very good one ? And if it was lighter, can we be sure it was Alder ?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am

oups sorry ^^ landed in the wrong topic ^^

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 am

Also if there is a base plate on your bridge pick up take it off ;)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 am

The main white '66 strat that Jimi used (from mid '67 to oct. '68) that had the rosewood fretboard and big headstock, eventually had the maple TELE neck (San Jose '69) on it. Other than that, I dont think Hendrix swapped parts on his Strats.

The White '68 and the Black '68 were presented to Hendrix, if I'm not mistaken, by a Fender salesman. Cant remember where I read/heard that :scratch: . The vaneer maple fretboard was only a 'custom' order at that point, with the rosewood vaneer being standard.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:25 pm

He also had a Sunburst, Large Headstock, Old Logo, with Rosewood Board that he played at Winterland, it is at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle ;) :jimi: