Did Jimi use his Wah for quiet parts without a fuzz?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Did Jimi use his Wah for quiet parts without a fuzz?

Post by theactor19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:12 pm

My question is that when Jimi is playing live and uses the wah for a cleaner sounding solo, does he turn off his fuzz? or just roll back on the guitar volume?

I ask because when I have my fuzz on and roll back my guitar volume to clean it up, turning on the wah will give me a ton of noise.. lots of hissing sounds.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Lefty Lou

Re: Did Jimi use his Wah for quiet parts without a fuzz?

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Try the alternate wah <---> fuzz connection, use a dmmy coil or a Suhr BPSSC - BPSSC "Back Plate Silent Single Coil" from John Suhr WILL eliminate all 60 cycle hum from your Strat.

OR: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2024709-10 ... 309383.608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

I'll try alternating the pedals, although I don't think Jimi did this. Also I'm not sure if its the hum.. rather when turning on the wah with the volume backed off, it is getting the full noise of the fuzz pedal.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:20 pm

does your wah/fuzz works fine with the wah in front of it ? didn't you mod it a little, to adjust the impédances ?
normaly, it doesn't work without it modded, bringing a lot of noise, with no effect of the wah and some wiiiii !!!!!!!!!

i suppose that jimi did both, playing with the volume of his strat, and sometimes just hitting the fuzz off.
his amp not set to the max.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

theactor19 wrote:I'll try alternating the pedals, although I don't think Jimi did this.
Don't kid yourself, Jimi ran his pedals every way possible under the sun. I've seen a pic of him using two wahs with a fuzz box in the middle.

Try this out for your wah, and you won't be disappointed. I installed one in my Buddah Wah (easy peasy japanesey) so that it would perform better when using a fuzz pedal with the wah. Sorry I forgot to tell you this but this is a fairly common problem when using a wah and a fuzz pedal together (buffering) which some wahs do not have.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/FWR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 am

the cheap way to do this, and simple, is just to add a 250k pot in the input of your fuzz signal, wired just like a strat vol pot. you can then use a wah in front of it, by adjusting this input bias controler down a little, keeping mostly all the fuzz effect you want. Now you can play "changes" wah, wild Voodoo child wah .... and when you'll get your strat vol down a bit, you'll get a cleaner tone. to me this is evident that roger mayer did it to jimi's fuzz, maybe just with a little trimmer Inside of them.
it works fantastic and it's easy.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:21 am

Lefty Lou wrote:
theactor19 wrote:I'll try alternating the pedals, although I don't think Jimi did this.
Don't kid yourself, Jimi ran his pedals every way possible under the sun. I've seen a pic of him using two wahs with a fuzz box in the middle.

Try this out for your wah, and you won't be disappointed. I installed one in my Buddah Wah (easy peasy japanesey) so that it would perform better when using a fuzz pedal with the wah. Sorry I forgot to tell you this but this is a fairly common problem when using a wah and a fuzz pedal together (buffering) which some wahs do not have.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/FWR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tried your switching position positions... Fuzz then Wah.. which did work to get rid of the noise, however, the wah effect sounded different then when it was first in the chain. When fuzz is full up and wah on, it becomes very thin sounding.

As for the retrofit, I have a Teese Picture Wah which is fuzz friendly.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am

Xplorer wrote:the cheap way to do this, and simple, is just to add a 250k pot in the input of your fuzz signal, wired just like a strat vol pot. you can then use a wah in front of it, by adjusting this input bias controler down a little, keeping mostly all the fuzz effect you want. Now you can play "changes" wah, wild Voodoo child wah .... and when you'll get your strat vol down a bit, you'll get a cleaner tone. to me this is evident that roger mayer did it to jimi's fuzz, maybe just with a little trimmer Inside of them.
it works fantastic and it's easy.
I'm not at all a techy guy, and would not have the slightly clue on how to do this.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 pm

theactor19 wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:

Tried your switching position positions... Fuzz then Wah.. which did work to get rid of the noise, however, the wah effect sounded different then when it was first in the chain. When fuzz is full up and wah on, it becomes very thin sounding.

As for the retrofit, I have a Teese Picture Wah which is fuzz friendly.
Try NOT running your fuzz flat out and see how a clean boost will work in conjunction with the other two pedals.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Lefty Lou wrote: Try NOT running your fuzz flat out and see how a clean boost will work in conjunction with the other two pedals.
I don't really see the point in this as I want it to work with my fuzz in the way Jimi's did. The whole reason I'm getting the noise is because the fuzz is turned up in the first place.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm

theactor19 wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote: Try NOT running your fuzz flat out and see how a clean boost will work in conjunction with the other two pedals.
I don't really see the point in this as I want it to work with my fuzz in the way Jimi's did. The whole reason I'm getting the noise is because the fuzz is turned up in the first place.
Again BUFFERING is the word. Did you read this part of the link I attached?

" The Foxrox Wah Retrofit is a self-contained JFET buffer/amp circuit that gets installed into your Wah Wah pedal, giving it the ability to cut through any Fuzz Face or Fuzz Face clone. By essentially installing a "real" output section, the Wah Wah pedal becomes immune to the effects of loading, restoring range and depth to older, vintage Wah Wah pedals without affecting their vintage value. Newer, high-end "boutique" wah pedals, such as Teese RMC pedals also benefit from this mod because they are based on the same, classic inductor-based circuit. Since it is a basic JFET audio buffer/amplifier, this circuit can also be added to effects pedals that need more output, as well as effects that need more drive at the input. NOTE: A Teese RMC wah with the Foxrox Wah Retrofit, going into a Captain Coconut (1 or 2) is guaranteed to deliver the best wah/fuzz/vibe/octave sounds you've ever heard! ".

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Buffering or impedance marching are the word. No need for such advanced tool, just a little trimmer or pot in the input of your fuzz will do.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Xplorer wrote:Buffering or impedance marching are the word. No need for such advanced tool, just a little trimmer or pot in the input of your fuzz will do.
impedance marching? Why hell, if it's that simple you need to let "theactor19" in on your secret sauce.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm

sorry, "matching", i typed quickly.
well, it's not a secret, and i told it already before, maybe i wasn't read ?
it requires only a 250k pot ( works well with this value ) . i had it from Joe Gagan.
wire it just like a strat volume, on the input signal of your fuzz, that's all.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Xplorer wrote:sorry, "matching", i typed quickly.
well, it's not a secret, and i told it already before, maybe i wasn't read ?
it requires only a 250k pot ( works well with this value ) . i had it from Joe Gagan.
wire it just like a strat volume, on the input signal of your fuzz, that's all.
See, it's all your fault Xplorer, you could have saved me $45 lol :wink: