What era of Jimi tone do you like the best?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

What era of Jimi tone do you like the best?

Post by theactor19 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 pm

What era of Jimi tone do you like the best? You can use concerts to illustrate your pick.

I personally love his live tone in 1970, particularly at Berkeley. For example, his solos in Voodoo Child at this concert are unreal!

Also LA Forum in 1970 is great tone as well, especially on Hear My Train a Comin.. Its a very warm, yet open kind of sound.. almost fender-ish with marshall mid-range.

There is something about the sound he got in his 1970 tour that is just warm and monstrous with a screaming fuzz. It is different than 1969 at Woodstock for example, where his tone was brighter and less warm.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone seaker

Re: What era of Jimi tone do you like the best?

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

mine 1970. Berkley is great. The tone on the intro lead riff on Foxy Lady at Monterey is amazing also

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:16 am

1970,Isle of Wight. Even with equipment challenges I love the rawness of his tone.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:34 am

Band of Gypsy's, Woodstock, Berkeley are my favorites.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 am

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:37 pm

- Band of gypsys at the Fillmore, second night ( except for some clean tones like in burning desire, in the first night ) , soooo unique , rich, amazing ...

- some 1965 'i'm a man" , pre Experience, wowww !!!!

- new rising sun at Berkeley, second show

- little wing, castle made of sand, one rainy wish ( i think it's the 45/100 ) clean/fuzzy tones in the studio

- this thick fenderish tone in the "electric ladyland" guitar alone, masterpiece.

- many early heroic JTM 45/100 tones from the Experience era.

- etc ^^

Thinking of it thanks to your subject, yeah, his tone Evolved a lot each year, while remaining totaly Hendrix, that's really unique.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Are You Experienced and Axis Bold As Love :jimi: :jimi:

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 pm

I love a phases of Jimi's tone, each has it's own unique attributes and qualities. The early Jimi English live club tone with the single JTM 45/100 and tall bottom cab with the pinstripe grille cloth. Then the "Are You Experienced" tone with Jimi really loud playing essentially live in the studio. He had a simple but great setup back then.
Moving on to Axis the 1967 Black Flag 10000 series head and the Revox tape effects, I have not heard the mono mix of this LP yet but since Jimi lost the original mixes in a cab they had to go back to the masters and re-record the mixes from memory, still brilliant though.
Jimi using the G12H-30 speakers now exclusively, the earlier stuff being with M 25 watters.
The Smash Hits LP (English version) contains the mastering of the 3 minute pop/rock tune.
Also elaborate affairs like LSD and the like, very complex recordings, 51st Anniversary and such.
Electric Ladyland saw Jimi using more Fender amps and Gibson guitars in the studio.
The tape derived flanging on tunes like House Burning Down is just awesome and really sets the atmosphere for the song.
1983 A Merman I should Turn to Be, is a complete masterpiece born of Jimi's obsession with doing re-takes over and over.
If they had had Pro Tools back then and a trem system that would stay in tune just imagine how much more brilliance would have been created!!
The Band Of Gypsys started the Gypsys, Suns and Rainbows era of Hendrix's playing with extended laidback texturally flowing tones and song construction with Jimi being soulful and singing of his great faith.
By this time he had the West Coast Organ Marshalls which would be his last influx of new amps.
The maple cap necked two '68 Strats became Jimi's weapon of choice and he loved these guitars as do I.
The maple caps I have are so dynamic with unbelievable mids and bass, even just acoustically. Jimi's two guitars had the tone muffling poly Fender finishes which I experienced with my 2004 YJM Strat which make the guitar feel deader in comparison to say my 1983 '57 reissue maple neck with it's alder wood a really thin lacquer finish.
This guitar weighs 6 pounds and rings like a LP Junior which I had two '54 versions of.
Sure the '70 LA Forum show is a milestone for the newer Hendrix sound and was a great show, especially on the boot LP's I have.
Apologies for wandering in this post but it is really how I feel about the Hendrix eras or phases.
The use of the Univibe and Octavia really changed Jimi's playing giving it an Arabesque and jazzier approach which I found fascinating, say like Villanova Junction and Hear My Train a Comin'.
Thanks for reading.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:42 am

The album 'Electric Ladyland' :jimi:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:The album 'Electric Ladyland' :jimi:
+ 1. Some tracks sounds like a dual rectifier jtm100 with (plate) reverb and/or tape echo
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39