What's this effect?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

FL6

Re: What's this effect?

Post by FL6 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Xplorer wrote:If i'm right, listenig to it, it makes'me think of the star splanged banner dissonance strings during dive bombing etc ...
Am i correct ?
It requires the right arrangement of notes , and a good drive.
I thought of that too.
He hangs on to the bridge with his picking hand and is not holding the whammy bar so no open strings.
He goes up high on the neck to bend up, pretty sure it's the high E string 17th fret bending up to a B note.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sat May 09, 2015 11:40 am

FL6 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
AJW wrote:I don't know what the exact sound you heard was, but Prince used the BOSS BF-2 flanger a lot. When you get the depth and rate knob in the right spot they get a glorious warbling feedback sound that you cant get with other flangers. I used to have one back in the eighties.
That may be it...I wish the OP would post the name of the song and the timing for the part he is talking about...I have nearly every Prince recording so I know I could find it and hopefully figure out what part he is talking about!
The song Dreamer from his appearance on Jay Leno, 2008 I think.

https://soundcloud.com/fl6-1/p-clip

It's the 3rd note at the 2 second mark, the 4th and last note is with the whammy bar so it's right before that.
The first 2 are with the wah, which he turns off then hits another pedal.
Whatever it is, it stays on because in the video he walks away from his board and finishes the solo.
If you slow it down you can hear a low B so I'm thinking an Octave pedal is part of it.
Sounds like just regular Chorus to me...the Octave divider might be in there as well, but I think it is just a pedestrian chorus. Around this time he was using the Zoom effects processor, so that might be the ticket.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:50 am

It's the 3rd note at the 2 second mark, the 4th and last note is with the whammy bar so it's right before that.
The first 2 are with the wah, which he turns off then hits another pedal.
Whatever it is, it stays on because in the video he walks away from his board and finishes the solo.
If you slow it down you can hear a low B so I'm thinking an Octave pedal is part of it.
Sounds like just regular Chorus to me...the Octave divider might be in there as well, but I think it is just a pedestrian chorus. Around this time he was using the Zoom effects processor, so that might be the ticket.[/quote]

Definitely chorus but I think the octave too. Thanks for the listen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat May 09, 2015 1:45 pm

garbeaj wrote:Sounds like just regular Chorus to me...the Octave divider might be in there as well, but I think it is just a pedestrian chorus. Around this time he was using the Zoom effects processor, so that might be the ticket.
FL6 wrote:Definitely chorus but I think the Octave too. Thanks for the listen.
The Zoom did those effects and combinations thereof...check out the wild leads on his duet with Sheena Easton "You Got The Look"...I know that is 100% Zoom.
Last edited by garbeaj on Sun May 17, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JiMB

Post by JiMB » Sun May 17, 2015 12:26 pm

It's the 1st and 2nd string, 17th fret, E & B notes being plucked and bent at the same time causing the scream/dissonance, the note right after is the A, 17th fret, E string on the release of the bend. Distortion helps and it sounds like there's a chorus on it. Hendrix, SRV, Albert King, many rock/blues players use that technique. Cool stuff!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun May 17, 2015 1:35 pm

He does do that lick, but he uses effects to get the same basic sound with just single notes. This is what you hear on the "screams" in "Let's Go Crazy" and "Purple Rain".

JiMB

Post by JiMB » Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Yeah, a short delay, as you mentioned , gives effect too.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:34 am

JiMB wrote:It's the 1st and 2nd string, 17th fret, E & B notes being plucked and bent at the same time causing the scream/dissonance, the note right after is the A, 17th fret, E string on the release of the bend. Distortion helps and it sounds like there's a chorus on it. Hendrix, SRV, Albert King, many rock/blues players use that technique. Cool stuff!
I think I figured it out. I first thought of the 2 string bend but the lower note is a much lower so it's not the B string at the 17th, it's actually the G string at the 15th fret. Typically the 2 string bend sounds dissonant but also very close to the very double stops involving those 2 strings. The interval between the high e and g string is greater and thus gets that sonic howl.

So when you grab the high e string with your 3rd finger at the 15th fret you also bar the b and g strings with your first finger at the 15th fret and bend all 3 at once. Then it's your choice as to what strings you want heard. All 3, e and b or e and g strings.

I'd like to video it but I'm not sure when I'll have time.