Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

yngwie308

Re: Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm late to this match but can someone explain to me what this fret notching is all about?
Both of Jimi's '68 maple cap Strats would have little actual fret wear based on their playing time and Hendrix use of light strings.
Who is stating there are/is a notch? Mitch sold the white Strat to an Italian gent who sold it to Paul Allen.
I believe it is true to state the black Strat was Jimi's favourite.
I find it hard to believe everything that is dug up concerning Jimi's gear, but keep an open mind.
I have met Mike Eldred and he is quite smart and would have thought to save Jimi's strings when they were taken off,also the strings can be removed without cutting.
As far as I can remember the Strat that Mike is holding is the Woodstock Strat the NAMM show display featured the replicas and the original.
Cheers
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 pm

I wasn't the first to mention the notches, that was Neal Moser, the guy who cut the notches. He has built more guitars than most luthiers, including Jimi's Strats.
The problem as I see it is that all these so called experts weren't there when it was happening, all their collected knowledge missed the actual event, and is basically just hearsay and personal bias. Each is entitled to believe what he wants of course, but trying to make the truth go away with insistence and harping is just not going to do it.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Dave I have a question for you.. Did you contribute to the book Electric Gypsy at all. I recently helped contribute to Harry Shapiro's bio of Gary Moore.
I don't remember hearing about you until your Metro thread. Have you contributed to any Hendrix books?
Thanks
yngwie 'Dave'308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Tone seaker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:39 am

yngwie308 wrote:I'm late to this match but can someone explain to me what this fret notching is all about?
Both of Jimi's '68 maple cap Strats would have little actual fret wear based on their playing time and Hendrix use of light strings.
Who is stating there are/is a notch? Mitch sold the white Strat to an Italian gent who sold it to Paul Allen.
I believe it is true to state the black Strat was Jimi's favourite.
I find it hard to believe everything that is dug up concerning Jimi's gear, but keep an open mind.
I have met Mike Eldred and he is quite smart and would have thought to save Jimi's strings when they were taken off,also the strings can be removed without cutting.
As far as I can remember the Strat that Mike is holding is the Woodstock Strat the NAMM show display featured the replicas and the original.
Cheers
yngwie308
Dave claims Jimi had his fret notched up around the14-16th frett for the intro on Foxy Lady. He claims it was done on the white strat and others. I have never heard of any thing like this in 45 years studying every thing Hendrix possible till last year when Dave came here and started saying all this stuff he did to Hendrixs gear that was previously un heard of, I proved with evidence there are no notches in the frets bringing any thing Dave says into suspension Including the tube thing about 6550's considering every Hendrix amp that has the back off has EL34's. I never heard of a Tube modulator till Dave came along. Seems like Eddy Karamer would mention it some where but he does not. Remember Hendrix spent 99% of his time between gigs in NYC on the east coast not the west. All Daves claims came out 44 years after Hendrix died and not before.

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Yngwie, I didn't contribute to the book. I started writing about Jimi's gear after Guitar Player Magazine got ahold of me in 1993 and asked if I would talk about West Coast Organ and Amp and the mods we did. I did some articles for them, and they published some of the material. I put them in contact with Neal Moser, who was the guitar tech at West Coast, and he told them about the notches he cut in the frets, among other things. I also put them (Art Thompson) in touch with Brad Plunkett, who invented the Wah Wah, and who provided me with the special transistors and modding ideas for Jimi's pedals.
As far as the notched fret is concerned, it was something Jimi did to his own guitars during the time he was playing the Foxy Lady material and we just kept doing it on his Strats until he left that style of playing behind.
It was just a gimmick to make it easy to get the string to play just by using his normal vibrato.

I don't quite know what to say about Tone Seaker's remarks other than to point out the obvious flaws in his so called arguments, for one, my not writing about Jimi's gear until forty four years after the fact.
I am quite sure that 1993 is not forty four years after the fact, and I am also quite sure that he has no standing whatsoever to question the truth of my remarks about Jimi's gear here on the forum. He is not an authority on Jimi; just because he has collected a bunch of posters and looked at all the videos gives him no more credibility than any other Jimi fan, and his attitude gives him even less. He didn't know Jimi, nor the situation in Hollywood at the time, and has no idea what he is talking about. I will venture he just wants to be noticed, and would like to feel his life of studying Jimi counts for something, using the forum to generate conflict and call attention to his mistaken position.

Facts are facts, and the testimony of the folks involved with Jimi's gear at the time speak for themselves.
I started writing on the forum to share this knowledge with people who are hungry to find out what actually happened, not to spoil Tone Seaker's little fantasy. I'll continue to write about it in spite of folks like Carlygtr and Tone Seaker.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:52 pm

daveweyer wrote:Yngwie, I didn't contribute to the book. I started writing about Jimi's gear after Guitar Player Magazine got ahold of me in 1993 and asked if I would talk about West Coast Organ and Amp and the mods we did. I did some articles for them, and they published some of the material. I put them in contact with Neal Moser, who was the guitar tech at West Coast, and he told them about the notches he cut in the frets, among other things. I also put them (Art Thompson) in touch with Brad Plunkett, who invented the Wah Wah, and who provided me with the special transistors and modding ideas for Jimi's pedals.
As far as the notched fret is concerned, it was something Jimi did to his own guitars during the time he was playing the Foxy Lady material and we just kept doing it on his Strats until he left that style of playing behind.
It was just a gimmick to make it easy to get the string to play just by using his normal vibrato.

I don't quite know what to say about Tone Seaker's remarks other than to point out the obvious flaws in his so called arguments, for one, my not writing about Jimi's gear until forty four years after the fact.
I am quite sure that 1993 is not forty four years after the fact, and I am also quite sure that he has no standing whatsoever to question the truth of my remarks about Jimi's gear here on the forum. He is not an authority on Jimi; just because he has collected a bunch of posters and looked at all the videos gives him no more credibility than any other Jimi fan, and his attitude gives him even less. He didn't know Jimi, nor the situation in Hollywood at the time, and has no idea what he is talking about. I will venture he just wants to be noticed, and would like to feel his life of studying Jimi counts for something, using the forum to generate conflict and call attention to his mistaken position.

Facts are facts, and the testimony of the folks involved with Jimi's gear at the time speak for themselves.
I started writing on the forum to share this knowledge with people who are hungry to find out what actually happened, not to spoil Tone Seaker's little fantasy. I'll continue to write about it in spite of folks like Carlygtr and Tone Seaker.

I did way more than collect posters and look at videos. But you need to insult my intelligence I can take it. I have read every article and book i could possibly find about Jimi and his gear including every thing from Roger Mayer and Eddie Kramer. Nowhere is 6550's or notches mentioned. I have talked to Billy Cox and Buddy Miles and jammed with Buddy you stroke your ego probably laughing at how gullible some people here are. No clear pictures of 6550 tubes in amps but clear pictures poof EL 34's. why dont you prove your claims with some photo evidence. You stated the white strat had notches and I have proven this also not true. Now you back track saying he stopped at a certain point when proven wrong, I have repeatedly dis proved your 6550 thing and notch thin with pictures and you cant take it
daveweyer wrote: Facts are facts, and the testimony of the folks involved with Jimi's gear at the time speak for themselves.
Again Eddy Kramer and Roger Mayer or any roadie/tech have ever mentioned 6550 tubes or fret notches. only you

I am not here to cause trouble only to keep the truth true with real proof not BS, No fantasy here just want proof not lies. That should not be a problem except to a liar with a big ego stroking it.

Back your stories up with hard proof. I didnt think so :D

I would like to see the guitar player articles with there name and yours on the pages. That still wont prove any thing without pictures.

Why has no one on the road crew that worked on his gear or on the East coast or Europe said any thing about 6550 tubes or notches. Because its not true.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 pm

yngwie308 wrote:I have met Mike Eldred and he is quite smart and would have thought to save Jimi's strings when they were taken off,also the strings can be removed without cutting.
Cheers
yngwie308
Yngwie, you're right, i mean, mike eldredd didn't cut the strings, but someone else did ! Neville Marten ...
"The strings were indeed rusty and the frets had gone a bit green. Interestingly, the spotted cat-fur strap (ocelot, I think – very non-PC today) was still in place. We later checked clutches of spots on the unfortunate feline's hide against photos of Jimi, and it was clearly one and the same.
Why didn't I keep the strings?
Taking the guitar to my workbench I checked the neck for straightness and it needed a slight tweak of the truss rod. That done, I cut off the strings and threw them in the bin. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Today they alone would probably be worth £50,000 (with Jimi's DNA all over them)!

Having cleaned the whole guitar and polished the frets the next step was to restring it and set the action. It was weird to realise that the last person to do this might well have been Hendrix himself, as there are well-known photos of him doing it backstage before a gig.

I threaded each string through the guitar's tremolo block, over the individual saddles, up over the reversed nut and onto the 'F'-stamped Kluson tuners. It didn't need a lot more doing to it, but I tweaked the saddle heights, made minor intonation and pickup adjustments and that was it.

I did plug it in to an amp, but as I am right-handed and it was strung upside-down, a quick Little Wing was out of the question so I simply played a few notes to check that the electrics worked."
from here : http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... rat-178118

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 am

no mention of notches. He only polished the frets not milled them. Polishing means going over them with steel wool which takes nothing off. Milling or leveling uses a file and removes grooves and wear making them level. He polished not milled. Also the pics i posted of it in Jimi's hands clearly show no notches

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Tone, Jimi's road manager remembered the big bottles. And others saw the frets with the small notch. You just need to do a little more digging and you'll find the proof you need.
And I mean real digging, not just reading somebody's book. Make some calls, get ahold of the West Coast staff or other musicians he played with on the west coast.
Until you do you will have no standing to be the judge of what is BS and what is not. JImi's life was much larger and more complex than you realize, and standing on your little soapbox and spouting crap about how you are the judge of what Jimi had and what he played through and who did what to his instruments is just sound and fury signifying nothing.
You should be embarrassed.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:32 pm

daveweyer wrote:Tone, Jimi's road manager remembered the big bottles. And others saw the frets with the small notch. You just need to do a little more digging and you'll find the proof you need.
And I mean real digging, not just reading somebody's book. Make some calls, get ahold of the West Coast staff or other musicians he played with on the west coast.
Until you do you will have no standing to be the judge of what is BS and what is not. JImi's life was much larger and more complex than you realize, and standing on your little soapbox and spouting crap about how you are the judge of what Jimi had and what he played through and who did what to his instruments is just sound and fury signifying nothing.
You should be embarrassed.
Show me the road managers saying big bottle. And who is on the soap box. I think that is clearly you. Your the one standing up there saying all this stuff that has never been heard of till now, You have given zero solid proof. The kind that would hold up like pictures NONE. I back up my disproof with hard evidence Pictures. Where is yours

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm

tone, Watch your tone a little .. please :)

you prooved nothing tone. Just a tiny detail : where do these white stickers west coast organ and amp repair appear ? on jimi's amps, plenty of photos to tell this. right ? do you think it was there just to be pretty ?
Now the man himself from west coast organs and amp repair explains what was behind these white stickers, and you can't even see further than your nose.

what proofs did roger mayer, eddie kramer etc brought on the table other than their remembrance, just like Dave ? and they never went as far as Dave, who even could show pictures of one of jimi's Guild amps in detail, and you never heard of it before ! while the JH EXP stencil was there anyway ! you never knew this amp existed, Dave did and displayed it.

it should normaly bring a little bit of doubt in your mind, regarding your strong beliefs based on a few reads ...
what about the engineer in chief from VOX ( bob Hovland ? ) who was very kind to let us see his answer to Dave about their remembrance from back in the day ?

what about the fact that this 6550 sounds so right regarding jimi's sound ... i bet your deep investigations didn't brought you to test by yourself.

i could go on and on, it seems that you've read nothing.
Now .... bringing so much details, tech explanations and demonstrations, documents, sounds that are fully right ....
even a Genius liar couldn't reach that. and your argument is about a tiny notch ? come on ...
Not only roger mayer and eddie kramer worked with Jimi, plenty of others aren't famous like these are or wrote books, it doesn't mean that they could not be involved with Jimi's work : and you have no traces of them, but it happend anyway wether it pleases you or not. plenty of storys you don't know, just one for example : i've learned playing guitar on one of jimi's strat, another black strat ... but an earlier one. did you know about it ? no.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:37 am

Xplorer wrote:tone, Watch your tone a little .. please :)

you prooved nothing tone. Just a tiny detail : where do these white stickers west coast organ and amp repair appear ? on jimi's amps, plenty of photos to tell this. right ? do you think it was there just to be pretty ?
Now the man himself from west coast organs and amp repair explains what was behind these white stickers, and you can't even see further than your nose.

what proofs did roger mayer, eddie kramer etc brought on the table other than their remembrance, just like Dave ? and they never went as far as Dave, who even could show pictures of one of jimi's Guild amps in detail, and you never heard of it before ! while the JH EXP stencil was there anyway ! you never knew this amp existed, Dave did and displayed it.

it should normaly bring a little bit of doubt in your mind, regarding your strong beliefs based on a few reads ...
what about the engineer in chief from VOX ( bob Hovland ? ) who was very kind to let us see his answer to Dave about their remembrance from back in the day ?

what about the fact that this 6550 sounds so right regarding jimi's sound ... i bet your deep investigations didn't brought you to test by yourself.

i could go on and on, it seems that you've read nothing.
Now .... bringing so much details, tech explanations and demonstrations, documents, sounds that are fully right ....
even a Genius liar couldn't reach that. and your argument is about a tiny notch ? come on ...
Not only roger mayer and eddie kramer worked with Jimi, plenty of others aren't famous like these are or wrote books, it doesn't mean that they could not be involved with Jimi's work : and you have no traces of them, but it happend anyway wether it pleases you or not. plenty of storys you don't know, just one for example : i've learned playing guitar on one of jimi's strat, another black strat ... but an earlier one. did you know about it ? no.
Tell your buddy dave to watch his tone he insults me and you watch yours. You got some nerve telling me to watch my tone after the two of you personaly insult me. i just call him out. I have proved every thing he has proved nothing. The guild amp is a piece of crap i have had one for 30 years. I almost feel out of my chair when Dave claimed Jimi had one and liked it. I had mine in a vintage amp shop for sale for two years for $100 with no takers. Thats just another BS story. i agree the amps went to west coast that is proved but the mods no. Kramer was with Jimi 99% of the time in the studio seems like he would mention some of this. And you dont have to insult me but that is just the way people are when there cornered. you dont listen again and as i said i read more than just a little i read every thing that came out in the last 45 years. This supposed guitar of Jimi's you learned to play on prove it. Foxy lady was early so this supposed strat should have been notched if the story is like dave claims where jimi did this himself in the early day. Yes a Genious liar could say all this crap if they worked on amps. i believe Dave knows about amps and did work on them just want hard evidence of all this. That should be fine to ask for unless your lying Hmm interesting you never mentioned this SUPOSSED black strat of Jimi's you learned to play guitar BOTH OF YOU AGAIN PROVE WITH HARD EVIDENCE ALL THIS AND STOP INSULITING ME. I HAVE DISPROVED ALL YOUR CRAP

At least you admitt i proved there are no notches on the white strat. But you claim this is only minor. You could not be more wrong. Even a minor discrepency with all this brings into questiion all of it. How much more is fiction and what is true. A liar cant be trusted

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 am

wow ..... there's nothing to discuss with you. ok, so now that you made your point a dozain times, we heard it. you proved nothing, move on.
we insult you ? i don't know, you keep saying we're telling BS and crap .... that's not a really soft tone ..
will you inflict us a couple dozain more times that it's crap and the notch story ? just to know ...

this said, i hope you'll agree that not everything totaly real about jimi can be proved, this isn't CSI here.
or just ask roger mayer and eddie kramer to prove everything they said, with DNA and all ... :D

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:00 am

Xplorer wrote:wow ..... there's nothing to discuss with you. ok, so now that you made your point a dozain times, we heard it. you proved nothing, move on.
we insult you ? i don't know, you keep saying we're telling BS and crap .... that's not a really soft tone ..
will you inflict us a couple dozain more times that it's crap and the notch story ? just to know ...

this said, i hope you'll agree that not everything totaly real about jimi can be proved, this isn't CSI here.
or just ask roger mayer and eddie kramer to prove everything they said, with DNA and all ... :D
and you have made yours and proved nothing. Read you and Daves post and see the insults but you cant conisdering your blind. Every thing cant be proved but when there is evidence like picutes of the inside back of his amps which i provided showing EL34's and close up of his guitar showing no notches that is proof. And you BS claims now about learing oh his Guitar that just takes it to a whole new level :clap:

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:15 am

Tone, Like I said, you can't prove anything with a negative. Why not contribute to the forum in a positive way? Ya know, bring something to the table that helps the readers further their quest to get Jimi's sound instead of bashing me.
Those folks who added the mods I suggested have gotten extremely close to Jimi's sound, but you can't show the forum readers that you have. They have positive proof worked out with their own effort and devotion. You don't.
Suggesting that you have the real story because you read something that Kramer said is laughable to anybody who worked closely with Jimi on any aspect of his career. Kramer had no idea what the real story was behind the Tele neck we put on Jimi's Strat for instance. But that is a real story with positive proof.
It's just sour grapes from you, why not turn it around with some positive contributions that really bring some new information to the table? I know everyone here would gladly embrace that.