PRS HDRX amp

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mark

Re: PRS HDRX amp

Post by mark » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks again for your reply. It’s disappointing that the Thomas speaker couldn’t be replicated. I would have thought WGS could have done something or perhaps one of the boutique speaker companies. What do the Thomas speakers look like?

I have only seen speakers with Thomas stickers on them which looked like Jensen speakers.

Regards

Mark

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:09 pm

They looked just like the Celestion alnico speakers you would see in a Super Beatle amp, call them Silver Bulldogs if you like, they were based on the alnico blue Celestion, but with slightly higher power capacity. Thomas was trying to get out of purchasing expensive imported English speakers, and was trying to replace the Celestion with an American made model, sort of they did with the Gold Bulldog, which was made by Oxford.

mark

Post by mark » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:51 am

What speakers in your opinion sound closest to it?

I could see people liking the Celestion 20 watt speakers (as used by EVH) as they aren’t as efficient and a high wattage amp isn’t as loud. If EVH used them they can’t be too bad.

Thanks again for your input.

I was also curious about the fuzz box using 2N525 and 2N591 transistors. How leaky could the transistors be and still sound good. In Tonebenders it seems desirable.

Regards

Mark

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:10 pm

The 2N591 and 2N525 and 527 had vastly less leakage than the stock fuzz transistors. They (2N591s) were much higher beta and so much less noisy. This also made them more temperature stable. (ever wonder why fuzz-faces all sounded so different?)