JTM 60 Mod help!!??

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jcsifu
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: JTM 60 Mod help!!??

Post by jcsifu » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Gunner wrote:
jcsifu wrote:
Gunner wrote: 1) Change R118 on the V101A input grid to 22-33k. This mod is more important than it seems. What you cut at the input (treble) you can never restore later in the circuit. But, it might be a god idea to cut the copper foil that goes to V101B and put another 33k from R118 and to the tube input grid at V101B. The high gain channel does like the treble roll of with the higher value 68k (33+33k).
I know this is an old thread, but we just bought a jcm600, got it for $250 on CL, to go with an LP special I bought as a Christmas gift for my nephew and wanted to clarify something before I try it. Does this mean to change both R118 AND R119 to 33k? That would drop the B+ on both sections right?
thanks for any help.

jc
Sorry but the grid resistor should be R116, not R118. We are not talking about changing the B+ here, only the treble roll off at the input. Maybe there are different JTM60/600 schemes, and at one of them the 68k input grid resistor is referred to as R118, or maybe I just have made a misstake (most likely...). Sorry again.
/G
AH, that makes more sense to me, and yes, R116 is the grid on all the schemes. Thanks for the reply! :rockon:

dallek1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re:

Post by dallek1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Gunner wrote:Hi guys,

I've sent you both some detailed information and I hope you'll enjoy it :)

The JTM60 I've modified is owned by the second guitarist in one of my bands. We are playing classic rock, just some covers for fun. He use a nice strat and is a very decent big guy, but a mediocre guitarist... I couldn't stand hearing him pushing repulsive ugly muddy distorted sounds from his gear. I mean hey, we are actually trying to create some music here... So I asked him if I could borrow his JTM60-amp for a weekend 8)

Last saturday we had a gig at a club here in Stockholm, Sweden. And I must admit his sound was almost as good as my sound. But I'm playing on my hand wired gear with 300 dollar Mullard tubes and have spent hundreds of hours building, re-building, fine tweaking, ...

Still - don't think it is magic. Just a good basic amp that amplifies a strat without any unneccesary freqs roll off. The bad constructions compromises and failures are removed. Good sound in, good sound out, as it were back in the good old days...

/G

hello If there is any way you could send me this same info on the jtm60 it would be much appreciated thanks ns

Megachunk

Post by Megachunk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Me too. I have done some mods, but would like any schematics or diagrams of mods for the JTM60. Just got the 622 a few weeks back and I'm loving it!

Mike

Gunner
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 am

Hi,

I get this question every now and then and have put together the information I earlier posted at the Metro Forum. Here it is. And a scheme for the JCM600, it is the same amp as JTM60, only the head version. I think you can find it on the net.

Well I'll hope this will make everything clear. And probably some loooong nights with the soldering iron

I do not claim my modification is the only way to make this amp sound better. But it is one way of doing it. A suggestion. And you can of course tweak the values until you're ready for mental hospital, without reaching the perfect sound. Sorry but I think that's the truth.

Be very careful with the copper foil on the pcb. Be sure the component mounting holes are clean and empty when you put in the new component. This is often the moment when the copper foil comes loose.

My first idea was to convert the clean channel circuit sounding close to a normal 1987-circuit, a bluescrunchy tone with more fat bottom and crispy high end.

1) Change R116 on the V101A input grid to 22-33k. This mod is more important than it seems. What you cut at the input (treble) you can never restore later in the circuit. But, it might be a god idea to cut the copper foil that goes to V101B and put another 33k from R118 and to the tube input grid at V101B. The high gain channel does like the treble roll of with the higher value 68k (33+33k).

2) Cap C116 is stock 2n2, cutting bass. Raise to 22n. A Mallory or any polyester cap will do fine. A Xicon polypropylene works to (better fit on a pcb), it does not affect the sound at all, very transparent. But I like the sound from Mallorys (very subtile differences of course).

3) Cap C114. Do you want your amp to have a fat bottom, blues crunchy and not so stiff, then raise the value from 1uF to lets say 22uF. The lower value rolls off a lot of bass.

4) R129 just before V103 (V2). This resistor rolls off some treble freqs. Here a compromise is necessary. The clean channel might like a treble bypass cap here, a shelf filter, in the range of 120-500pF depending on how low freqs you want let bypass the resistor. The higher value, the lower freqs will bypass. The high gain channel might not like this at all. But my main concern is the clean channel, so the high gain channel has to take what it gets... You choose your way!
5) V103. R128 is 220k, lower to normal 100k. In the same time you have to lower the cathode resistor R131 to 820 ohm (or 1k will do). This makes V2 run cleaner, a more classic tone. If you want the typical Marshall upper mid/treble lift, put a 0.68uF cap over R131 (just solder to the legs of R131). But the lead channel prefer no cap here.

The second idea was to convert the lead channel from sounding as a pedal type of distortion to a more natural tube distorted tone, medium distortion, as in a Marshall 2204 or something similar.

This starts with cutting the diode clipping circuit and then we balance the circuit for the higher signal level.

I can’t give detailed instruction on exactly how I solved every little change on the pcb. But I’m sure you can find a way that works. This scheme shows the important changes.

1) Locate the C105 component. Lift one leg or remove the component. Now the diodes are out of circuit.

2) Put a 2.2uF cap over the cathode resistor R123. This will focus the tone. Give a little more distortion, tighten the bass.

3) Remove the cap C120 and put it as replacement for R104. The C120 rolls off some treble. But moving it after V102A will make this tube distort in all frequencies. You need some treble roll off in the circuit, but it can wait until after this gain stage.

4) Lower R125 to 330k and replace R126 with a 220k. Now you have a voltage divider that will lower the signal a bit before it goes into next gain stage V012B.

5) You can put a 1uf cap over the R124 cathode resistor to get more and a little bit different distortion. But I preferred leaving this stage with no cap.

6) You might want to tighten up bass by lowering the cap C121 from 100nF to 22nF. But as I remember I let it be.

7) Now you need to take the signal down a lot after V102B. Certainly you have the volume pot VR6 here, but this pot now will work too sensitive. Just turn it up a notch and you’ll saturate the next stage. I installed an extra voltage divider before the pot. As I remember I put two 100k resistors (one to ground) at the back of the pcb, where the wire goes to the pcb with the volume pot. Then the signal to the pot from the point between the two resistors. I wish I had taken some pictures of this, but I’m sure you can find your own solution.

8. Finallly – I bypassed the filter before the gain pot VR5. Find the combo R4/C50 (470k/2n2). This is a high pass filter that might lift treble/mid too much. I didn’t like it and just put a wire across the resistor.

If you have done everything correct you will now have a very nice sounding rock’n roll amp in the old school.

/Gunnar

http://www.kickback-rock.se/
Metro Plexi 100w
Metro Plexi 50W
Marshall JMP 1987/2204 (-83) PTP converted
Elvin JTM45
Elvin Bassman 2204/6G6A

annihilus

Post by annihilus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi guys, I had good results just tacking a 390K resistor across the clipping diodes in the JTM60 to reduce the buzziness, but I eventually reverted to Gunnar's mod which completely gets the diodes out of the circuit. The amp now sounds much more "old-school" which is how I like it, with the "gain" at 6 and the "boost volume" at 10. If you need a little more gain try 470k or 560k. I also put a simple heat-sinking thick aluminium plate 13" x 3.5" over the tubes, held on by velcro, to quickly and easily solve the over-heating problems. No need for a fan, the tubes themselves SHOULD get hot to sound good... Cheers and rock on, Kenny, P. Eng.

torcamaniac

Post by torcamaniac » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:57 am

Hi guys.
Don't understand what gunnar means by changing R116 to 33k and "cutting the copper that goes to input of V101B" But than he also says to put another 33k resistor from R118(I think he means another 33k after R116. This way you get 68k. Two 33k resistors in series). But looking at the schematic after R116 the cooper goes to input of V101A. Just before (between R116 and V101A) there is a junctions on the copper that goes to the input of V101B.
Where should we cut the copper exactly and where put a second 33K? I'm guessing the second one after the Junction and before the input of V101B. But that would mean that we shouldn't cut any cooper. Am I right?

torcamaniac

Post by torcamaniac » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:39 am

Hi guys.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice about Marshall JTM 60 FX Loop. I modded the sound of the amp myself and also fixed the overheating issue.
But the problem I'm having is the serial or parallel fx loop. The JTM 60 has both. For example in my Peavey VK all the delay pedals function great with no difference in sound and volume. On Marshall in serial loop, they sound good on clean chanel. On gain chanel its crackling and quieter. On the other hand in parallel loop, the clean chanel is too quiet and gain is normal but the delay effect itself is very quiet even when maxed on the stomp box.
I also changed all the send and return jacks with the ones from neutrik because original Marshall were cheap stuff. Didn't help. 
I guess the whole think has something to do with line level/instrument level. I'd like to modify it if possible with resistors as voltage dividers but am not sure what to do exactly. If I've read the circuit right both Loops sends have 470 Ohm and 100K (this one is on ground also) resistors and before them a transistor and capacitor. There are also a 10 Ohm and 10K resistor in this part of the circuit but I am not sure what these do.
Do you have any advice on what I should

torcamaniac

Post by torcamaniac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:06 am

Solved the FX Loop issue.
Added a 33K resistor rom one end of R116 to input of V101B and did 2 100K voltage dividers for VR6 volume pot. It was not an impendace problem.

torcamaniac

Post by torcamaniac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 am

Here is a link where I posted most of the mods mentioned in this post.
I tried to be as specific as I could and also with other tips and tricks and some pics.

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/ma ... st-1500727

SteinRR

Post by SteinRR » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi

After performing the mods that Gunner suggested (and torcamaniac raffined), I'm experiencing channel bledd/crosstalk. I can hear the boost channel faint on the clean channel.
Any ideas what might cause this? I have checked all my soldering and doublechecked the mods according to the schematics but can't seem to locate the source.

There was no bleed before the mods.

SteinRR

Post by SteinRR » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 am

So it suddenly occured to me after studying the amp and the schematics; My diode clippung circuit did not go to ground as on Gunners schematics, so i changed the mod as suggested by lp20th.
My next problem was WAY to much gain (that also caused the bleed/crosstalk), so I removed LK108 (which was jumpered in my amp), and replaced it with a 220k resistor (which is actually in the JCM600 schematic), and soldered a 100k resistor from the junctuion between LK108 and CN107 to ground. This gave me a voltage-divider right before the V102A gain stage.
I think it would be ok with a higher resistor than 100k to ground, as I could squeeze som more gain out without the amp oversaturating, but I like the way it sounds now.

I also removed the voltage-dividers on VR6, as I have no problem with the volume knob causing oversaturation.

torcamaniac

Post by torcamaniac » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:51 pm

That's great.
I modified my JTM from Combo to Head.
I using the Combo Cab just as pure Cabinet now and play it with my new JVM205 mostly. I think those 3 x 10" speakers are lovely sounding. Better than most 2 x 12" I'd tried.
Anyway, the JTM is sitting there without being played for the time being.
I am sure I'll be doing more mod refining when I get the time.
Anyway about the Channel bleed... I found that there is slight bleed from gain to clean chanel when the parallel mix pot is being used. This was also the Case before the mods. The thing is that I like the gain chanel much more with this pot maxed. It really fattens the sound up.