Humidity.....

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mynameisfritz
Location: Germany, Krauttown - in the middle of some cabbage fields

Humidity.....

Post by Mynameisfritz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi guys, I had my Dual Showman stored at somebodys cellar, it was in perfect condition - now I got it back and it crackles and hisses like crazy. Even worse when turning both volume pots. My first guess is humidity - carbon comps, etc. There are other amps in this room, but they have been played every week - without a problem. Mine just had been stored there.

F***! Together with that car crash this afternoon I definitely have enough for today.

Please help me out. :bang:
Martin
Soundclips

Mynameisfritz

Re: Humidity.....

Post by Mynameisfritz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 am

Bump...
Martin
Soundclips

mathd

Post by mathd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Check the cap, voltage, bias.
Maby they have played your amp (or moved it around alot) and the tubes are shot?.
Mathieu

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Suggest you take the chassis out and put it somewhere warm and dry for a few days.

if it has been stored for a while the filter caps might have dried out (usually a hum) although the symptoms you descibe sound a lot like damp in the carbon comps and pots which will mean a full check over and maybe some new parts.

Do the dry out first, maybe use a very sparing amount of contact cleaning spray around the tube sockets and into the pots afterwards (not straight away).
Neil

Mynameisfritz

Post by Mynameisfritz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks guys, I'll try that.
Martin
Soundclips

CAlbs_Plexi50
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by CAlbs_Plexi50 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:29 pm

I hate to revive an old thread Mynameisfritz, but just wondering if you had any luck with your Amp and its Humidity situation?

I have had my Darling Plexi 50 stored in a basement for a few years with what I believe to be relativity high humidity and the first play of it in a couple years left me head scratching, lots of hiss, crackling and even some popping with turning up/down guitar volume knob.

I should mention that prior to putting this amp in storage it was used pretty regularly with no issues.