Red/brown Phenolic Turret Boards

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Red/brown Phenolic Turret Boards

Post by sixpakldp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Does anyone know of a source for the correct color red/brown phenolic boards for a 69 metro kit?

I emailed Brian but I see he is no longer in business.

I also ordered one from watts tube audio but it's a lighter color brown and a good bit shorter that my metro red swirl.

Reason being is I scored a full compliment of Iskras recently and would reall like the board for the correct look.

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser

Re: Red/brown Phenolic Turret Boards

Post by ValveStorm » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:34 pm

We can make these with the double turrets or the Metro-style long eyelets:
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

axeman

Post by axeman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:26 am

Like this?
Attachments
67 Marshall Plexi.JPG
67 Marshall Plexi.JPG (128.99 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

sixpakldp

Post by sixpakldp » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Yes, that would be what I am looking for. Stuff seems hard to find even if you want to cut it yourself. Only two possible resources that might seem plausible are modulus amplification int he UK and ******.

Problem is, it needs to be the same as the Metro Kit board, which I have found is a little bit different dimensions. So I'd either need to find a blank sheet and make it myself or if there is someone out there who does what Brian used to.

sixpakldp

Post by sixpakldp » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:22 pm

To further clarify, looking to make the same board that Valvestorm posted, but in the color and type of material that Axeman just posted.

sixpakldp

Post by sixpakldp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:34 pm

I ended up going with the valve storm double turret board. At the end of the day, it will just be easier that way and I know it will fit the chassis exactly the way it should. Thanks for the replies though.

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 am

For future reference: Watts tube audio has a steel perforation drilling template that I've used to make my own turret boards. They have turret staking tools as well. It is pretty easy to do.

pearlrider

Post by pearlrider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:16 am

The Modulus boards are a good fit for the Valve Storm chassis. I find that I have to trim about 2mil from one end of the board to make it fit. Other than that the boards fit well and look great. All the holes line up fine.
The boards that I buy have the standard posts. I do see on the Modulus web site that you can buy split posts and fit them yourself.
I have used Modulus boards on Valve Storm chassis on all of my builds. I have never had a problem with fit or finish.

coldengray

Post by coldengray » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Modulus boards are great. Axeman kindly sold some board material here which I bought enough for 4-5 boards using the Watts template and staking tool. I did score an original RS board with RS turrets for too much money but I just had to have it. Haven't seen anything as good as Brian's boards in a while. Event the pro builders I know who use the stuff have limited quantities and have to hunt for more via UK vendors when they run out...when they find a color they like they buy as much as they can. You have to be careful the material is rated for enough voltage, otherwise it will conduct and create noise.

sixpakldp

Post by sixpakldp » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 am

I think sometimes the mystique of the various parts and pieces for Plexi amps is what makes them so entertaining to build. I built a pretty accurate 5E3 two years ago and with the exception of Astron caps, it was really easy to track down all the correct components to get accurate, even a real Jensen P12Q. My Plexi, which started as a kit from George, has been a 9 year journey of always making it more accurate and better sounding. I recently aquired a '73 Deluxe Reverb that I thought would keep me busy, but when I opened it, it was perfectly maintained. No fun there, but can't say I wasn't pleased as it sounds great. And whoever had it before me put a sticker on the inside stating "Punching bad tone in the dick since 1979." Has Richard Smith stamped on it too, so I guess maybe he's the sticker guy. Thanks for the input on boards.