Cleaning the Leads on NOS Caps, Resistors, etc.

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sine_wave
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Cleaning the Leads on NOS Caps, Resistors, etc.

Post by sine_wave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Hey all.
This is something that's been on my mind for a while... I've just spent literally the last 5-6 years collecting every NOS/correct part for my 12,000 build. Some of the parts look like they were made yesterday but then there are others that look a little closer to their age. The main problem is on things like resistors, capacitors, etc. the leads can get a certain cloudy patina on them and I can't imagine this would be something I'd want to try and make a solder connection to.

What's the answer, sandpaper? Here's my question... If I want to get the leads looking like a resistor that was made yesterday, what grade paper do I use? I assume I use a rougher one first to get the crud off and then another finer sheet to get rid of any scratch marks left by the first sheet of paper? I really don't want the leads to have any scratch marks by the time I'll be putting them on the turret board to be soldered.

I'd appreciate any help regarding the different grades of paper.

- John

RockinRocket

Re: Cleaning the Leads on NOS Caps, Resistors, etc.

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:35 pm

You want to make sure theres no glue on the leads so wash lose of with soap first. Pihers seemed to have a glue, waxy substance on them. Sand paper or rub them between pliers and wipe them real well. Just don't go to far to the copper! That's all I do. Is there more :scratch: Hope not!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:25 am

I use a Stanley knife to gently scrape the bit of lead going into the turret on restorations so the exposed part of the lead still has its patina to match the rest of the components. It is done very lightly to freshen the only the part being soldered.
Neil

danman

Post by danman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:16 pm

If there is any gummy residue left on the leads, I will use denatured alcohol to remove it. For oxidation, I have found that a scotchbrite pad works really well for shining them up without leaving heavy scratches.

sine_wave

Post by sine_wave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take it all into consideration.

What do you guys think of using emery cloth? It's abrasive enough, right? I like the cloth bit because it easily conforms to whatever you're rubbing it with.

My last one… I have some old pro audio circuits (a couple of preamps) and when it comes to transistors I only buy an old NOS variety, it's case has the nickname "glob top" (yeah I know, it's weird!). Problem is, a lot of these old (not to mention rare) transistors have gold leads. Now obviously, this 'gold' is just on the surface, right? Well, I'm basically concerned with not 'rubbing it away'. I've heard of this new stuff 3M makes called 'Synthetic Steel Wool Pads". Some say that they're not strong enough whilst others say they're just fine. The one definite plus is that they don't leave any 'debris' behind like real steel wool does.
Any thoughts?

danman

Post by danman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:45 pm

The synthetic steel wool you mentioned is the same stuff that I referred to as "Scotchbrite". It is an abrasive pad that easily conforms to any surface and comes in three or four grades of courseness. It's basically the same thing that you see on the back of a dishwashing sponge. They also work really well to slick up a sticky guitar neck as they will remove the gloss without being to aggressive.

danman

Post by danman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't see why using emery cloth would cause any issues. Just be light with it.