Reducing Voltages at V1... Is this OK?

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Reducing Voltages at V1... Is this OK?

Post by syscokid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Since I lack quite a bit of knowledge in electronics, I would like to know if what I'm trying to accomplish might cause negative results in other components of the amp.
A few years ago, I built a 2204 with 6505 power tubes.
B+ is about 465v
All the dropping resistors are 2 watters
After a dropping resistor total of 14.7k: 343v
Next dropping resistor is 10k: 304v
Last dropping resistor was 10k: 293v
Changed last dropping resistor to 27k: 279v
With this final reduction, plates @ V1b: 213v, V1a: 251v
With the amp operating at high volume, I definitely like what I hear.
So with all this in mind, am I straining the power tranny at all?
Should I increase the wattage rating of the dropping resistors?
What would happen if I increased the value of the plate resistors equally (ex: from 100k to 120k)?
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

danman

Re: Reducing Voltages at V1... Is this OK?

Post by danman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 pm

You are fine to adjust the voltages like you are. I usually just play with the values of the first two dropping resistors but no harm in doing what you have done if it sounds good. Now changing the plate load values will do something a little different though. If you raise the plate values and leave the cathode resistor the same, the amp will seem gainier. There are amp designs out there that run higher plate resistor values that sound good, but with this circuit, I have never really liked the sound when raising the values. It made the amp sound buzzy and lost definition. There is no harm in trying it though if you are interested in hearing the results. Somewhere between 150k to 220k should give you a noticeable difference. Bumping them up a small amount like 120k will make a slight but noticeable difference. You can change both on v1 or just v1a or v1b if you like.

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 pm

danman wrote:You are fine to adjust the voltages like you are...
Thanks danman. I thought I double-check with the good guys here at Metro. Sure would hate to mess up this amp at this point. It's sounding real nice. BTW, I actually did try a 150k at V1b for awhile. I thought it sounded good with just a little more gain at low volume playing. But lately I've been testing this amp at volumes that this amp was intended for, and I must say, that putting that resistor back to the stock value made me realize how much the Marshall guys got it right, the first time.
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

danman

Post by danman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I agree! I usually always end up back with the stock circuit. It sounds good just the way the designed it. :rock: