fake mustards

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

crumb

Re: fake mustards

Post by crumb » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:47 am

Nicholas are you really that bored that you have to come here and annoy me?
A few moments ago I was playing loud through this 64' aa864 bassman I own with this little reversible presence pot mod I did, bright cap bypassed..a couple of wires, a cap and an internal mounted pot set to about 7.
Listen mate it slays, think stray cats.
I have three...two 64's and a very rare 65 aa165 that sounds magnificent.
Anyway Nicholas, if a person that has read these posts and seen the images still believes the market isn't flooded with fakes, then they deserve the snydes they got ripped off buying.
Lets look at your fakes for example..you've stated that you couldn't pull yours apart...After seeing what I've seen of original mustard caps, you've either most certainly been ripped off, or you have the arms of a 2 month old baby. The Philips service boards you've purchased are fake..your'e the victim of a scam, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. There's nothing quite like the cluster fuck is there?...just when you think you were ripping someone off by getting something cheap...you get ripped off yourself...happens every day bud.
Where are all the heavyweights? why haven't they commented on this outrageous claim of fake mustards?
The question is rhetorical Nicholas, they already knew, and they've known for a long time.
I doubt you have access to, or own, any genuine mustard caps...I doubt you've ever SEEN genuine mustard caps, just like most of the people that have been ripped off building join the dot amps from plans.
There's been a change of plan regarding my new build. I chucked the mxxxxx xformer into this 1974 sl 100 I have here, and I've decided I do like that very much, but, I did acquire another o100jm output that was surplus to someones requirements so that new exciting build with the 2 power xformers wired in series and parallel will involve that one instead.
Keep an eye on that FB page for the build.

RockinRocket
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Dude I don't think anyones seen your facebook lol.
You need to post the link. Its 2019.

Really want to see this build with real Mustards. Better not be any modern resistors or Mica caps in there :evil:

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm

" You need to post the link"

No, I don't.
I've posted enough about this topic, and so have you.
Do a search on the term ' NOS mustards' ...since the start of this thread at the beginning of November the subject isn't discussed..it's taboo.
Go to marshallforum, same thing there.
Collective embarrassment? probably.

"Really want to see this build with real Mustards. Better not be any modern resistors or Mica caps in there"

Get offline, go outside..go for a walk Nicholas.

- You and the suicidal angry poster it seems live on these forums...you change yours to ' stickyfinger' over there at marshallforum...Your type really want to see my build because that's what you spend your life doing it seems..looking at other peoples stuff. Angry guys footprint is all over the internet..literally thousands of posts on maybe five, maybe ten different different amp sites..he uses that same nick on all the forums.

I'm not a join the dots type amp guy, Nicholas, I make whatever I want to, and use whatever i feel like using or just whatever is sort of hanging around the place .Modern carbon film are excellent, as well as vintage carbon comp, however they are expensive but for me, indispensable at various points in the amps I make or restore.
Bright caps are interesting, try replacing your ceramics with film and foil..I took the 500pf silver mica out of the 69 clone I have and put in a 3300pf mustard, stunning results.

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:47 pm

You keep telling us to check out your facebook. How? No ones seen it.

Seemes extramly odd to me you would care about mustards but nothing else. All the parts are tone parts.
You seem embarrassed now.

Thanks for the entertainment.

crumb

Post by crumb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Hey Nicholas, it's been a few months, have the clouds parted over your way yet?

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Any updates? Or finally a Facebook link to all the evidence you've collected?

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 am

Nicholas I'm surprised you haven't supplied an update of your own, you have hundreds of fakes over there..what's wrong?...don't have any real ones to compare? Would you like me to send you some?

I'll check back in another six months and see if you've worked it out mate. :palm:

I do notice the term " NOS mustards" just isn't used anymore on these forums or elsewhere..why do you suppose that is?

PLM

Post by PLM » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:02 am

Hi, someone just linked me to this post. I am the eBay seller who was accused of selling fake mustard caps in 2018. My username is peace.love.and.music. I'm sure I've sold to some of you.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I find it absurd that the assumption is that because the leads are shiny the parts must be fake. I deal a LOT in vintage parts. Like, a LOT. It's what I do for a living. I sell vintage parts on eBay. I have plenty of Allen-Bradley resistors from the 1960s with nice shiny leads. Plenty of other brand resistors with shiny leads. And yes, plenty of .022 uf 400v Mullard Mustard caps with shiny leads.

These are not impossibly rare parts. They did not run out decades ago. These were mass-produced in the 1960s and 1970s, just like the Mullard "Tropical Fish" capacitors. They were made in LARGE quantities. It's not surprising that there are plenty of these out there. There are huge quantities of the Tropical Fish caps out there--why would the mustard caps be any different?

I bought a large quantity of the .022 uf 400v from a seller in Germany. There are a number of different label designs and date codes, and a lot of them are sealed in the original packages. I believe they are German military surplus.

Yes, I have sealed packages of these. No air, no tarnish. Any questions?