fake mustards

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

RockinRocket
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: fake mustards

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:30 pm

I said I had no interested in uploading your photos.

You think Philips actually cared if each cap weighed the same?? These were manufactured on machine with a 10% tolerance rating in massive quantity's.

Did you actually measure the caps?
Some of the added weight has to do with the actual measureable value.
.022uf = .0198 - .0242

The ceramic casing is simply dipped around the cap.. thickness varys.. even in the same batch.

Axial leaded caps stopped being popular in the 70's.. That's why we can still find Mustards. No one was handwiring anymore in quantity. Fast forward 30 years old retiring Ham/radio owners selling off their collection now that the internet has become a easy source to sell.

Lots and lots of undesirable NOS parts from the 60's are for sale on Ebay RIGHT NOW.
Look at the leads on them. They are not tarnished like yours. They are not fake either because they have zero value to 99.99% of folks looking at NOS components. Leads are tinned to help prevent corrosion. Stored properly they will be fine and have almost zero tarnish. YOUR H CAPS WERE NOT STORED GOOD OVER THE YEARS

Also some of your Mustards are 630v lol you know that Marshall only used 400v :clap:

Open up your cracked real mustard and post here so folks know what to look for?

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

hello zero interest.

your posts so far have probably been more valuable in convincing people that the great mustard scam exists than mine.
The most revealing thing about your behaviour is your fear in posting images.
The images you so easily can post..but refuse to..because you have "no interest" clearly show the logic of my argument..
The fake caps that i bought from a seller who has bags of the same caps as yours most likely with the same batch number...are brand new and the images indicate that to be the case.
Furthermore..i suggest that posting images of your own caps will simply show a pile of very shiny new 'snydes'.
(You like that little bit of cockney language there?).
Do you even own any mustards of the value .022 with full length leads ?
Have you actually sold these to people..these fake ones?
"Machining tolerances of 10 percent? Can you actually prove that..or is it just you typing that out in a bid to get people off the scent?
What a co-incidence that if true...that people cant detect if they have fakes or not as a consequence.
Its so easy to just type that out huh?
Together..you and I have discovered that two caps made on other sides of the globe and made ten years apart weigh within 1.27 grams to 1.35 (i think its that or 1.36).
Thats the critical part of my proposed detection method and you helped me get there...thanks no interest.
The ten percent is just a disclaimer if the cap is a little over..or under .022.
Are they over or under?
Why add another variable right now...lets keep it simple.
Yeah i have some 630v caps too..big deal.5x.022@630..3×.1@630v...i have 7x.1@400 all different shades mustard all diff date /batch codes.
i have Nos .0022..nos .010 2x .68 @160 and more.i got a nos bag of mustards..my little stash...and they look nice and old.
You seem excited that one of my caps has a crack in it. A blob of epoxy will fix that..thanks for pointing it out..i did already know.
The only interest you have atm...is shutting me down. I'm delighted that your actions have done the opposite because aaallll these people...are learning things.
Have you seen the views on this little talk we are having?
Why arent you encouraging people to investigate the authenticity of their caps?
It's rhetorical bud :wink: ...people aren't stupid.
They can see just how interested you are in this matter and why.
Thanks George for hosting this debate...my brother paul shouts out a thankyou for the amp you sold him and my 69 clone is going great guns thanks again.
Last edited by crumb on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Zero interest,

I have plenty of these mustards and chopping one up is a good idea. Recently I got some caps from this bloke and one of them ...a 5600pf..had one end broken off so i scratched the paint off and checked out its construction.
I binned it however thats no big deal..i got a few more i can sacrifice.
If the seller in this matter refuses to refund and ebay simply refund with no need for a return..I will cut up one of his caps..photograph what i see and post the images here somehow. From what i saw..the fake will easily be exposed..there is some very specific..very interesting material that connects the lead to the wrap..its kind of like ground down zinc..a kind of paste...on the actual NOS mustard.
Zero interest...do you suppose you could chop up one the fakes you have there?
Didn't think so.
My little ebay dispute ends in a couple of days...ill keep you guys posted.

tassos

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Not sure why you posted this thread. You already made up your mind and don't care what m and Axeman have to say.

PP me 15$ and ill upload my photos. 30 min of my time and time is money.

Anyways, in a PP dispute you still have to pay return ship. So you still lose.

Might as well just open up these "fakes" so the Metro board will know what to look for based on you extensive knowledge on the matter :wink:

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Zero interest,

With every word ( and symbol ) you type, you reveal what your agenda is.
You are wrong about returns on ebay, sometimes when the seller decides that he/she isn't going to refund, the buyer is told to return the item back to seller and then a refund is issued. Sometimes..they just refund the money and the buyer gets to keep the fake/broken/otherwise misrepresented item.
You're wrong again bud.
It seems that people just type things out..and then they become experts right?
The function of these posts is to firstly establish if we've all been ripped off, and more importantly..how to stop the $$$vultures$$$ from taking more of our money.
Money eh? thats what it's all about for some people isn't it.
If it is proven here that these are fake ( they're fake people..as sure as god made little green apples )..I wouldn't want to be the person that's been peddling them..
Pull out your caps people, weigh em...take a good look at em, photograph them..post your findings here.

tassos

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Zero interest wrote

" You think Philips actually cared if each cap weighed the same?? "

This is the key to the proposed detection method...the simple one you can do at home with a set of digi scales.
I've explained the importance of weight, however zero interest gives me another opportunity to do so, this stuff can be confusing so i'll go over it again here.
Philips didn't care.
What philips did was place a sheet of plastic/some type of clear film over a sheet of aluminium..and then roll it up into a cylinder..put lead wires onto the ends of those cylinders.
In order to get .022 uf..the amount of rolls had to be precise..now some genuine caps when you test them read slightly over..say .0227...and some read under...say .0217..
This variation is small, so small that it doesn't affect weight readings of those caps in a large way...the swing isn't much at all.
The reason the caps, the genuine ones..will weigh 1.27-1.36 is because philips..no matter where the factory or when it was made for those 10-12 years used aluminium sheet that was the same thickness. they would have had a warehouse somewhere, and sent the rolls off to each factory as needed around the world..this is how a large company can sell consistently with a level of quality they can control.
The reason these very bright clean, very new looking caps that come from the never ending philips service bags weigh wrong is because they cant get the same aluminium foil..its thicker..not much..but it adds up and Zero Interest and I have detected it.
More data = more damning evidence..pls do weigh your caps if you have any floating around, post the images and data here.

tassos

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm

some photos

https://www.facebook.com/tassos.karas.5 ... 1541203691

pls advise if the link doesnt work ill try again.

tassos.

crumb

Post by crumb » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 am

Great news!! Seven Thousandth bag of of .022@400v mustard caps just retrieved from dusty alley in Istanbul!! Found near donkey chewing grass!! Absolutely 100 percent genuine, look!!
You buy whole f==== bag!!, we send to you!! Cheapy Cheapy!!
Sell one cap for twenty bucks!! Look!! just found another bag of 1000 caps in old electronics store in Albania!! Sealed Philips bags for your security!! Holy F----y !! Caps for everyone!!
These caps have Magic metal...No tarnish even after fifty years !!

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Crumb lets see one of your builds with real Aussie Mustards!

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 am

I have zero interest in showing you my old amps.
another time maybe.
They're pretty crappy in all honesty, and i cant post pictures here anyway.
I've decided to do a little review of some of my gear on my new facebook page..not today..too lazy.
First things first, lets get to the bottom of these quite serious allegations, I mean its not jamal khassoghi level crime, but it is crime nevertheless, I expect law enforcement will get involved at some stage.
If i was a seller of these things, i'd be expecting to have to refund a whole lot of people.
Glad its not me bud.
Quite honestly mate, look at the fucken things, they're brand new. ( And everyone knows thats the reason you refused to put the photos here when i couldn't )
Your whole little " yours are REALLY badly tarnished" minimising tactic bullshit doesn't help you out because these fakes don't have any tarnish/ rust/oxidisation on them at all...zilch..nothing...Only a tub of oil or the vacuum of space keeps something that un-tarnished after fifty years.
Ebay took a look at the photos and told me I'm getting a full refund whether the seller wants them back or not, in addition, Ebay have directed ( on the phone to me at least ) that the seller must pay return costs to USA..So, i don't "lose"...do I? Sorry, zero interest, for not losing, I know it was important to you.
Their fraud people are now looking at these sellers and these caps too.
People buy these things without looking too hard at them because they want to make a dream come true ( i'm not talking about amp makers/sellers, if they look good/correct and sound good, that's good enough for them..and the buyer..and everyone else when there is no suspicion from anyone)...And people that fuck with other peoples dreams make people angry. Look at axemans responses ( oh thats right you can't they're gone).
Zero interest, if you're not a re-seller of these fake caps , I've got no disrespect for you, just pity.
If you're a re-seller of these, then to me you're just a shark.. a predator that preys on people like axeman.
We shall get to the bottom of this one way or the other, I'm glad the person that has the ability to have made the whole matter disappear from this forum, didn't. Respect.
Will continue to post updates as they occur.
On a lighter note, i've found three more .022 @ 400v just sniffing arounds some old parts buckets ..I can't use them in my little study because the leads aren't full length, but theyre gonna go back into active duty soon.
Thanks for all your help in this unpleasant matter Zero interest..Have a good one mate..bye bye.

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:34 am

talking about old amps..i uh.. have a few,
And my favourite amp doesn't have mustards in it.
My favourite amp is a 1977 marshall jmp 4 holer, 50 watt.
It has these little green bastards..also philips caps...but theyre green.
People, these amplifiers are sonic wonders.
Its a canadian amp, older switches, not large rocker power switches...transitional. Large logo, white piping.
The frequency response of those little green caps is different to mustards...mustards are smooth and fat..just enough of everything..but these little green bastards have a tad more bite..and theyre not as smooth, but the extended response is great to hear..the amp crunches if you push it..but its really sweet if you dont. This amp sits between a jcm800 and an old plexi, in a perfect spot...uh,considerably more towards the plexi end of the sonic spectrum... i got this for 700 bucks five years ago and it gets good use in the studio and lots of use here..Amazing amps.
If people start talking enough about the power of these little green caps ( think ac/dc )..then they'll appear all of a sudden in sealed bags im sure.
Should we start a petition and send it to Pakistan?

tassos

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:42 am

You know alcohol isopropyl will remove 99% of tarnish from decent store caps?
Caps stored in SEALED bags of 100 have very little moisture to work with tarnishing.
That's how metal corrodes BTW and is why manufactures seal there products in bags :shock:

You should inform your scammer to dip the leads in wine vinegar over night to tarnish the leads to make them more authentic for the next sucker :roll:

The seller that sold you these fake .022 must have thought he was a genius by also faking undesirable .0056uf ect caps that you also bought from him. Who would suspect a seller selling a array of NOS mustard cap values?? Not Tass!! Its not like there's over 5 pages of shiny leads of worthless value ebay mustard listing RIGHT NOW for sale :lol:

So big question is why didn't you look at the leads in the Ebay auction prior to buying?

Facebook link no worko. Wanna see the fake Aussie mustard builds you got goin on down under mate. :thumbsup:

-PS-
Ebay/ PP can not refund more money that the transaction.
You don't get refunded till the seller receives the items back.

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:06 am

You know alcohol isopropyl will remove 99% of tarnish from decent store caps?

- Irrelevant.

Caps stored in SEALED bags of 100 have very little moisture to work with tarnishing.

- Incorrect..they'll tarnish right up after 50 years..even if bag is sealed..plastic ' breathes'.

That's how metal corrodes BTW and is why manufactures seal there products in bags :shock:

- correct, metal corrodes as a reaction to contact with air and water...Air has water in it. Plastic bags that are not vacuum sealed ' breath'.

You should inform your scammer to dip the leads in wine vinegar over night to tarnish the leads to make them more authentic for the next sucker :roll:

- Thanks for sharing your tricks.

The seller that sold you these fake .022 must have thought he was a genius by also faking undesirable .0056uf ect caps that you also bought from him.

- 5600pf caps were given to me by a friend, along with a whole bunch of other genuine, real old mustard caps. you seem very interested in my stash. i have two sandwich bags, both about half full..lots of great caps in there bud. Are they for sale? Sorry bud, I use em.

Who would suspect a seller selling a array of NOS mustard cap values?? Not Tass!! Its not like there's over 5 pages of shiny leads of worthless value ebay mustard listing RIGHT NOW for sale :lol:

- There are a few sellers of fake .022 ....1 uf and others on ebay right now..theyre next..i see them straight away now.
Fortunately for the amp building community, there are genuine ones too.

So big question is why didn't you look at the leads in the Ebay auction prior to buying?

- So the big question is... 1. Why won't you show us your caps? 2. Why aren't you encouraging the good people to question the authenticity of their caps? 3. Why are you showing so much interest..zero interest??
( i did check the leads..his ad is misleading..he's a con man.)

Facebook link no worko. Wanna see the fake Aussie mustard builds you got goin on down under mate. :thumbsup:

- facebook link does actually work hehe

-PS-
Ebay/ PP can not refund more money that the transaction.
You don't get refunded till the seller receives the items back.

- Bloke sent me a cummins starter motor from usa. sent the wrong one..ebay just refunded me the whole costs, you're wrong again. I sold the wrong starter for cheap to a bloke who needed it. He had a tear in his eyes cause he couldnt find another one for his kenworth.
PP may not be able to refund more than transaction..but ebay can and does get shitty with belligerent scamming sellers and just decide to refund the buyer everything without the need for return shipping.
Ebay told me that the seller in this instance has to add return shipping funds into my paypal before i ship back to him. Seller seems to have had an amazing change of heart. I love it when people see the error of their ways..So uplifting..
be patient zero interest..i'll keep you posted on ebay return/refund.

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 am

Tass you gotta post the Ebay link so us Meto board newbs don't get taken advantage of.

I don't want fake Mustards! I just put 33p .022 in a customers amp. Hes not happy I'm sure

crumb

Post by crumb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 am

zero Interest..you mislead people a lot...tisk tisk...You know , considering the scope of this scam, I'd be surprised if the FBI DIDN"T get involved in this matter..lots of caps...lots of money..cross border..using a carriage service for fraudulent purposes..Glad its not me bud selling this crap.