fake mustards

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

crumb

Re: fake mustards

Post by crumb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:51 pm

Nicholas I'm offended about your comments to me regarding my amp builds.
My amps are good..robust units.
My mxxxxn o/t has arrived and I'm in the planning phase.
Unlike you, I like to be a little daring.
I have a very healthy stash of mustards here, a very good o/t..a chassis..some ideas.
I'm thinking..do I go voltage doubling or two phase /bridge?
Have you ever tried choke input power supplies Nicholas..hmmm...i didn't think so..
I'm thinking switchable plate voltage ( i have two identical power transformers from two mesa roadster combos that are 120v..run the primaries in series for our 240v, and the secondary h.v in switchable parallel for some wicked sag options...also these power trannies have the black/white ' brown sound' winding primary option for 90v ( our 180v) on the primaries for more evh sag options..)
I'm also thinking switchable filter cap options..16..32...or 50 uf filters.
I'd post some photos here of some previous builds but I can't...sad eh?
You've made some personal remarks about my girlfriend of lack thereof..I assure you she's around..and she doesn't like me sharing her with a computer. Just then I had to take her clothes shopping as she doesn't like parking.
Pls refrain from making comments about her though, it's inappropriate and unnecessary.
Last edited by crumb on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 am

Good people, the following are two posts from RockinRocket, one from this thread, and another from a thread titled
" Re: 50 watt high voltages, no cathode voltage v1 v2"
Take note and understand that you need to take a careful look at who is building an amp for you.
Beware.

from this thread:

" Even if every NOS component sold is fake I don't care. They look 99.99999% real to me"

and from the other

"I triple chech all my work and after 20 builds or so Ive only had one cold solder joint on the first NOS parts build I did ( got to remove all the oxidation!!) and the first build with beer I forgot a solder joint lol."

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:32 am

So now he's edited his post to make it look like he doesn't care if the caps are fake in his own amps...but what about this little gem from you Nicholas?

"Tass you gotta post the Ebay link so us Meto board newbs don't get taken advantage of.

I don't want fake Mustards! I just put 33p .022 in a customers amp. Hes not happy I'm sure"

Did you forget about that one..hmm?

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am

More from RockinRocket early on pge 1 of this thread. Do you really want this guy building your amp??

" Then how many folks are building old vintage amps and actually care about Mustards? Probably not many. "

and on the same post

" Still these would be easy to fake. But I will say don't worry about it."

just a few moments ago Nicholas posted

" youll be asking your self when your 50 what you did with your life worrying about petty things in life. "

- mate I'm not 50 and instead of thinking that I'm thinking...."this guy has ripped so many people off"...it's not petty ripping people off Bud.

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:27 pm

look at these little beauties

I mean, look at the quality..and Croatia is where only real things come from.

FAKE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-NOS-Philips ... k:116:pf:0

crumb

Post by crumb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Real.

One of them is a w code too, you could put that in first .022 position, I've been experimenting with lengthening the leads, I've gt a good method that isn't pigtailing or anything too ugly, I'll post one with lengthened leads on myfacebook page a few minutes.
You take the leg off a new resistor, butt solder it onto the cap, then you get three strands of wire, hair thin, wrap them together and wrap that around the butt join..then solder the join..then pull the remaining wire strands back and forth until they break.
Looks good.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-PHILIPS- ... 0033.m2042

RockinRocket
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 pm

WHERE IS THE FACEBOOK LINK!?! I got to see this :lol:

crumb

Post by crumb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 am

" Even if every NOS component sold is fake I don't care. They look 99.99999% real to me"

crumb

Post by crumb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am

Real.

Note the cracked ends on some of these and also this kind of sandy quality to the coating..i haven't seen this sandy/grainy quality on any of the fakes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1xNOS-0-1uF-40 ... rk:10:pf:0

crumb

Post by crumb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 pm

These are real and you can see that sandy quality again on the coating.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/6-x-NOS-MULLARD ... :rk:2:pf:0

No cracks but I recognise these as the 'german' sourced ones our angry friend identified as being sold by TAD.
TAD sent me 15 MESA transformers once, 240v conversion ones for all diff models, and the two tripe rec ones were quite badly damaged cosmetically, the bobbins were chipped and you could see the windings had pressed impressions into the copper band..See TAD think it's ok to ship 12? pound transformers with very little padding inside super thin walled cardboard boxes 20,000 kms.
They seem surprised that I asked for a refund.

I found a really good posting from some forum last night re: mustards being made at Hendon in South Australia as well as some data and images of the machines they used to make them, as well as prices back in the day.
You gotta scroll down the page though.

https://www.guitargear.net.au/discussio ... ic=50550.0

ivan H

Post by ivan H » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:25 pm

The pics shown in the link are not taken at the Hendon plant. Philips issued the same booklet to all production countries, they simply changed the cover. The Philips Mullard booklet has the exact same content. Cheers

crumb

Post by crumb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Ivan, do you have an opinion of the kt347 vs c296

ivan H

Post by ivan H » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I've not used the KT347's nor compared data sheets, but have always "thought" they were the same PET (polyester) type capacitor, constructed using the same material stock as the C296's, just made in a radial format to suit circuit board applications rather than point to point. I could well be wrong though. Cheers

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Here ya go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Marshall ... 59195c4409

Real. Cracking end caps and rusted out leads.

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Dumb, you finally give up on the Fake mustard epidemic? Turn yourself in to the metal institution? Bored of trolling? Maybe finally realize a wanna be amp builder from down under wouldn't be the first one to find fake mustards in 2018??

Lets see this amazing build you were working on :hairband:
Or do they not let you play with irons in there?!?