Blown PT in 69 Superlead need recommedations

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

redozzman

Blown PT in 69 Superlead need recommedations

Post by redozzman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Not sure how many folks are reading this forum these days. Regardless, My PT went out on my 69 Superlead, and about to buy a replica, I'm looking for recommendations, Heyboer has several models, also, is there any specific areas on the board that I should be looking at replacing or reviewing that could have been compromised when the PT went out. The fuses didn't blow, the amp went silent. Its definitely the pt, it was very hot and smelled burnt, also had some ooze coming out of the bell housing holes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Blown PT in 69 Superlead need recommedations

Post by danman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Heyboer makes a PT to Metroamp specs which you can find in the Metroamp store. Marstran is also a great supplier that sells Heyboer transformer wound to his specs. You could also save a few dollars and purchase a standard Heyboer PT from "Amp parts Direct" There isn't any mojo in a PT and as long as it delivers the correct voltages, I wouldn't have any problem using the less expensive option. Hammond is another option that makes some great iron.

I would check you power tubes and filter caps before replacing the PT. It's odd for a PT to simply fry itself and it's very likely that one of these items was drawing excessive current.
https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/collect ... by-heyboer
https://marstran.com/

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm

You could send it to Mercury Magnetics and have it cloned, or rebuilt. I've had that done before. Talk to Patrick, tell him Scumback 1 sent you and see if they still offer that service.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks for the info, I ended up getting the Mercury Magnetics PT as Amp parts direct was out of the Heyboer. Now I have an issue! the mounting tabs on the Mercury PT don't align with my chassis, is the Heyboer a direct drop in, no drilling necessary? if so I might just order one of those and be done? does anyone know? Ive tried contacting George but I cant get him on the phone and its hard to get a response from anyone.

Thanks for any help!

danman

Post by danman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Is Mercury not responding to you about the issue? For that kind of money they should be bending over backwards to offer assistance. I know that both the Metro and the Marstran transformer are suppose to be direct replacements but I would assume that the Mercury was suppose to be also. Is your amp a standard US model or was it possibility built and sold for a different Country originally? I know that amps built for other markets did use different PT's and this may be the reason a standard PT does not fit properly.

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:48 pm

I bought the PT from amp parts direct, they are looking into it. I have the ability to by another PT that should be a direct drop in based on the measurements but, I'm not sure its the correct PT for my amp, I only have some basic info on the wiring and I posted it in the Transformer section of the forum, but this place is pretty dead these days and no one has responded to that thread. Oh well.