Forming filter caps

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rip

Re: Forming filter caps

Post by rip » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:03 pm

or the other side of the 100K?

budubum

Post by budubum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 pm

rip wrote:something like this right?
i think larry said to put the pull down resistor BEFORE the main resistor for the cap forming. meaning to put that 220k 2watt on teh rectifier side and not the cap side

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm

rip wrote:something like this right?
No, still before the 100K at the side facing to the fuse, so that the 100K hasn't to draw the bleeder current of the 220K

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:33 pm

budubum wrote:i think larry said to put the pull down resistor BEFORE the main resistor for the cap forming. meaning to put that 220k 2watt on teh rectifier side and not the cap side
Yep! Exactly!

Larry

rip

Post by rip » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:39 am

cool thank you guys for the clarification. So in case anyone else gets confused here is the good schematic
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (21.24 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

budubum

Post by budubum » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:02 am

rip wrote:cool thank you guys for the clarification. So in case anyone else gets confused here is the good schematic
yes this is correct

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi!
I've read through most of the topics about caps forming and I'm really interested in doing so with my JTM45. I have just received the SoZo Vintage caps so I may give that technique a try (if it's useful for those caps).
Larry (or someone else), tell me if this is right:
- On the JTM45 I just need to solder a 100K resistor across the standby switch, and that's it? And then measure the voltage dropping?
Thanks!

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Twistingcrow wrote: - On the JTM45 I just need to solder a 100K resistor across the standby switch, and that's it? And then measure the voltage dropping?
You even haven't to solder it, you just can clamp it across the standby switch with two crocodile cables - and you have to pull all tubes except the rectifier tube. But the described method is for forming filter caps, not signal caps :wink:

Larry

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:13 pm

novosibir wrote: But the described method is for forming filter caps, not signal caps :wink:

Larry
Of course, silly me... :lol: Cool, then I'm gonna do it, if it's that easy! I have to go get some crocodile cables now...

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri May 08, 2009 9:15 am

Hey!
Just thought I'd keep you posted. I'm done with my new JTM45, filter caps formed, tests and bias done. Can't wait to fire it up!
Larry's technique is really easy and I'm surprised by my results. I formed them in two steps: 2 hours yesterday night and 2 more hours this morning and voltage has gone down to 0.95V, unbelievable! The stock F&T Metro kit caps are relly good!
So, all in all, DO IT!

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

What do you mean " 2 hours yesterday night and 2 more hours this morning" your not to shut the amp off until the caps are formed.

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri May 08, 2009 10:31 am

Well I mean that I formed them for 2 hours yesterday night and had 1.35V jst before I turned it OFF. Then I repeated the operation this morning for another 2 hours and before I turned it OFF I had 0.95V. So it seems that doing it in two separate steps didn't have any negative impact on the forming, did it?

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:45 am

You should read this entire section of forming "electrolytic" capacitors, you'll find a section were Larry explains not to shut the amp off.

guilds100

Post by guilds100 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:23 am

Larry

I enjoyed your explanation on cap forming so much I was wondering if I could make a cap forming jig. My plan is to rectify 120v, sending it through a 100k 2w resistor, then adding caps with 1k 2watt resistor between each cap, kinda simulating an amp setup. Would this work? Do the cap have to be charged up to operating voltage of the amp? I do have a couple of small transformers that could be used to generate ~400v dc.
Finished amps --> Metro JTM45, Champ, Deluxe, Bandmaster, 1974x

Still Debugging --> Metro 50, Trainwreck Express

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 am

guilds100 wrote:I enjoyed your explanation on cap forming so much I was wondering if I could make a cap forming jig. My plan is to rectify 120v, sending it through a 100k 2w resistor, then adding caps with 1k 2watt resistor between each cap, kinda simulating an amp setup. Would this work?
Shure, no prob!

I'm doing it this way, before I put my NOS LCR's into a new build. A small PT - rectified - then a 220K/3W to ground, to give the PT a pre load - and from there I go through each a 220K/1W to each 50+50/500 double can - always four at a time in parallel. They're sitting about 16-24h for forming, while I continue building the amp. Then the formed and discharged caps go in the amp :wink:

And moreover every 2-3 years I'm forming my complete stack of NOS LCR's, to keep it 'healthy' - they are from 1992 :wink:

Before forming I put the caps (solder lugs upside) into hot water for about 20-30 minutes, to decristallize the electrolytic inside. It's similar as what you have to do with hard, old honey, to make it fluid again - and this pre procedure helps much to reduce the forming time.

Ouch - so many of my 'secrets' in only one post..... :mrgreen:

Larry