ClinchFX News - EP-PRE updated PCB

New products and gear for sale from businesses that support the forum.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

clinchfx
Just the numbers in order: 7

ClinchFX News - EP-PRE updated PCB

Post by clinchfx » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 pm

We based the EP-PRE on the early series of EP-3, Serial Numbers 9068 – 9450, because the early series had a reputation for having the best tone.

There were two later series, S/N 9451 – 12960 and 12961 – 28591. In these, there were a couple of small changes to the preamp schematic. One of these changes has a significant effect on tone, creating a considerable top end roll-off and altering the phase response of the circuit.

I recently had the chance to compare the tone of the later unit with the early tone, and there is a very noticeable difference, the later one sounding more mellow and not quite as full as the earlier version.

As we were about to update the EP-PRE circuit board to make it easy to incorporate in some other pedal designs, we decided to include an internal jumper that allows the user to select either early or late EP-3 tone. We decided against an external toggle switch for reliability reasons, and we believe that, once a player has selected his preferred tone (early or late), that is how it will stay.

The jumper is easily accessible by taking the back cover off the pedal.

We are now shipping EP-PRE pedals with the new PCB.

Peter.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effect Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

vh junkie

Re: ClinchFX News - EP-PRE updated PCB

Post by vh junkie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:47 pm

What options do users of existing pedals have?
clinchfx wrote:We based the EP-PRE on the early series of EP-3, Serial Numbers 9068 – 9450, because the early series had a reputation for having the best tone.

There were two later series, S/N 9451 – 12960 and 12961 – 28591. In these, there were a couple of small changes to the preamp schematic. One of these changes has a significant effect on tone, creating a considerable top end roll-off and altering the phase response of the circuit.

I recently had the chance to compare the tone of the later unit with the early tone, and there is a very noticeable difference, the later one sounding more mellow and not quite as full as the earlier version.

As we were about to update the EP-PRE circuit board to make it easy to incorporate in some other pedal designs, we decided to include an internal jumper that allows the user to select either early or late EP-3 tone. We decided against an external toggle switch for reliability reasons, and we believe that, once a player has selected his preferred tone (early or late), that is how it will stay.

The jumper is easily accessible by taking the back cover off the pedal.

We are now shipping EP-PRE pedals with the new PCB.

Peter.
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

clinchfx

Post by clinchfx » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 am

vh junkie wrote:What options do users of existing pedals have?
A skilled electronics technician with experience in Surface Mount Technology could modify the earlier EP-PRE to have the tone of the later EP-3, but it's not possible to add the jumper to allow changing between the early and later EP-3 tones.

An alternative may be to send the pedal back to us so that the new PCB can be fitted. We haven't yet worked out the cost of this exercise.

Anyone interested in upgrading an old pedal is welcome to contact me by email or PM.

Peter.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effect Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 am

Another COOL option Peter, definitely adding some versatility to this pedal, especially for new users.

Ugh, I'd gladly send mine for the board swap, and cover shipping, But... I'm not taking it outta my chain, even for a week! But that is mighty tempting.
dave