Scumback M75 Paper Voice Coil prototypes...update 10/4/11

New products and gear for sale from businesses that support the forum.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Scumback M75 Paper Voice Coil prototypes...update 10/4/1

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:30 am

Flameback video... :palm:

Sheesh... you guys have way too much time on your hands, you know that, right? :lol:
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Big Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Big Mike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am

Just break out the 100 watter, we'll load a 20 watt into a 1x12.
We can get fire out of that mo-fukka.

(Just take the mullards out...we'll burn up some JJ's)
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:Flameback video... :palm:

Sheesh... you guys have way too much time on your hands, you know that, right? :lol:
A good quality recording of a 4x12 bursting into flames will go viral with Metro/Friedman/Scumback names on it. (remember the amp head bursting into flames at a gig? May need to line the cab with some foil tho' :lol:
Neil

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

"Flamethrowers"... Now there's a great name for some hot-sounding speakers... :D

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Shit, I'm in for $20 if I get to watch live!!!! :lol:

Reminds me of the time I saw Rory Gallagher's amp burst into flames in the middle of show. Think it was Midnight Special or Rock Concert.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 am

Just an update on the PVC models. Now that I'm down to a week or so lead time on speakers I've had a chance to build some more M75 PVC prototypes.

Pete Thorn came by on Monday and picked up five speakers to do speaker clips. While he was here we cranked my purple 50w Metro clone I built four years back through the M75 PVC 4x12, the BM75 (BlackBack series M) cab, and the regular M75 cab. Pete felt that paper voice coil models had a "sweetness" that he liked. The BM75 cab was definitely more aggressive/louder, with more upper mid/treble bite and bit less bass than the M75's. The PVC models will sit right between the M75 and BM75's tonally, in my opinion.

Pete said he would try to get the next demo clips out before he heads to New York for a series of shows with Don Henley on December 5th. If that happens I'll post a link to the clip he'll do for YouTube. He'll be doing the high quality audio/HD video format for this just like last year, so it may be a long download.

He's also got my 61 SG Special with the new WCR Guitar P90's in it for this set of clips. So you can get a taste of what Jim has worked on for me for the last few years (I've beat him up for a P90 for years, gents) based on the tone of my 59 Les Paul Jr. P90.

Ok, it may be 6 am, but I have to go pack speakers, and check on the FBI box since I have a pile in there that need tending and changing.

More updates as they're needed/necessary.

NY Chief! WTF? When you coming over? :lol:
310-833-6632

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Description sounds mouth-watering! You know I'm in for these as well as H75 PVCs, Jim. May have to wait a few months into the new year though...not for finances or lack of interest, but the missus may not take kindly to a big box of speakers arriving around the same time as our first-born... :lol:
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 pm

shakti wrote:Description sounds mouth-watering! You know I'm in for these as well as H75 PVCs, Jim. May have to wait a few months into the new year though...not for finances or lack of interest, but the missus may not take kindly to a big box of speakers arriving around the same time as our first-born... :lol:
She won´t notice it... As long as you take good care of your child, which I´m sure you will anyway, it´s fun and good karma... :jimi: , she´ll be too busy to notice a few speakers.

Another tip: Buy a (new) house: We did, and for quite a few years I could claim that any "new" amp that came into the house had been in storage somewhere, and now I finally had room for it in my new mancave... :wink:

Congratulations. It will be great. Trust me.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:28 pm

shakti wrote:Description sounds mouth-watering! You know I'm in for these as well as H75 PVCs, Jim. May have to wait a few months into the new year though...not for finances or lack of interest, but the missus may not take kindly to a big box of speakers arriving around the same time as our first-born... :lol:
Well...you could hide them in two boxes...with a tall slant and tall bottom in each to disguise the speakers. You could call it "furniture" for the mancave. Think she'd buy it?
:lol:
310-833-6632

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote: NY Chief! WTF? When you coming over? :lol:
Say the word!!! Got an 8 ohm blacback ready for me? :D

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:58 pm

NY Chief wrote:Say the word!!! Got an 8 ohm blacback ready for me? :D
Hell no, I totally forgot in the madness that is my life right now. But I could build one and have it ready in two hours. When do you want to come get it? Or do you want me to FBI it first?
310-833-6632

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 am

FBI!!!! Female Body Inspector, right? :P

Break it in, Jimmy!! Let's make plans for next week sometime. I'm working in Fullerton now.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:44 pm

NY Chief wrote:FBI!!!! Female Body Inspector, right? :P

Break it in, Jimmy!! Let's make plans for next week sometime. I'm working in Fullerton now.
Mike, I built your speaker this afternoon and it's in the FBI box now. It should be ready tomorrow afternoon. I'm busy as hell this week, so if you could come by on Sunday that would be better. Otherwise I may be too busy to see you for another week or so. Bring that other speaker frame you have that needs inspecting while you're at it.
310-833-6632

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:51 am

Got NY Chief over here to retrofit his old straight cab. Geez...I hate what players/techs do to cabs.

Opened his up...broken speaker mounting bolts, one broke off in the T-nut, ignorant dumbass hack wiring harness (2-3 different wire types). I went to desolder the wiring from the Switchcraft jack and one wire just fell off. At least one was soldered on. Old solder clumps with wire bits and crap in the bottom of the cab...sheesh. Someone swapped the original plywood back panel for a particle board type at some point, and tossed the proper jack & jack plate, too.

So we got the speakers reset and aligned properly (3 G12M 55hz 444 cone BlackBacks, one Scumback BM55-8-25w), wired up right, soldered in tight, then put it back together and fired it up with my 50w Metro clone w/NOS glass and MM trannies. Pretty bitching sounding BB's in that old 1970 cab he has (metal handles/caster cups), I must say. Thick and creamy.

Then we flogged the rest of the demo cabs for a bit. Mike took some pics, maybe he'll share them when he gets a chance.

I'm still working damn near 10pm on a Sunday. I've got 46 speakers to ship tomorrow as well as a 4x12 straight cab.

Mike, hope you dig your cab now, I'm hitting the sack!
310-833-6632

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:14 pm

In a word, Jimmy is a PRINCE, fellers!!! Good time hanging in the Scumback demo room. Gotta run for now. Be back later with more detail but the PVC"S FUKIN ROCKKKKKK BOYS!!!!! He pulled out a vintage '68 cab (some band named QUEEN was stenciled on the back....) and we A/B'd 'em. Like I told Jim, 99% there the diff being 40 years of playing on the originals and brand new not even broken in new ones. PVC's a hit Jim!!!! :thumbsup: :champ: :toast: :rockon:

So I came across a '70 4-12 cab at GC a while back. Original greenbacks were replaced with (3) 8 ohm 55hz blackbacks and a g12-65. Took the cab up to Jim for a look over and a Scumback BM to replace the G12-65. The first thing he noticed was that the grill cloth was 180 degrees out. I knew there was something odd but couldn't put my finger on it 'till I saw it next to his cabs. We couldn't find any evidence of it being rotated like that so we think it must have been a factory fuk up. Cab also has metal caster cups but riveted on chromed metal handles but no evidence of tee nuts. Jim already mentioned the woeful hifi speaker wire and non connected wire at the jack. The cab worked at the store and when I got it home I swear!!! I would have been pissed if I blew up the 45/100 I just got from George if that came loose!

Jim hooked me up with the BM55 and re-wired the cab for me, too. Cab sounds great!! Need to put a new ply back on as someone switched it with a particle board back. Maybe a re-cover in red tolex at some point.

While he was soldering away I took a couple of the Jimi cabs. You gotta see this in person. Way cool. Pics attached. it dwarfs the "normal" stack next to it.

Again the PVC speakers sound fukin great!!

Thanks again, Jim!!! (Hmmm, my Sweeetie keeps asking what I want for Christmas....Honey, how about a quad of PVC 75's......
Attachments
Jimi Stack 2.jpg
Jimi Stack 2.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Jimi Stack 1.jpg
Jimi Stack 1.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"