12 series Builders (Newer Guys)

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sands
Just the numbers in order: 7

12 series Builders (Newer Guys)

Post by sands » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 pm

I just finished my 12 series! :-) :-) :-)

A couple of things for the new guys (like myself)

It definitely helped to have just finished building the 50 watt amp. The instructions are perfect and a child could follow them.

With the 100w 12 series you have to dig a little more, however it's not bad at all and even if it's your first amp you should be able to do it. If you download the Build Journal Doc, get the newest version. As of today I believe it is Oct 2009 version .04. I didn't realize and downloaded the Aug version and read later (when I was nearly done) that there were some mistakes in that version and had to go through the whole doc and a/b it against the Oct version. If fact, there weren't any major errors. I think he referred to the standby switch as the power switch or something like that. It was pretty obvious what he meant though. If you follow this doc you should be good to go. The power board works (even though other diagrams show different wiring on the caps). I think (or at least hope :-) ) if there were any flaws in the journal doc, someone would have brought them up by now!

Also, the 68k bias resistor was too much and I ended up with a 47k in there. (That is the resistor tied to the "bias pot" leg on the board.)

Another thing that confused me at first was the standby/power switch. When wired as in the journal doc and the switch is in the "MIDDLE" position, you are in standby mode. If the switch is "UP" you are in high Voltage mode (500v). If the switch is "DOWN" you are in low voltage (400v) mode.

Anyway, I've posted a couple of other questions for the serious tech guys on the site and will post my findings to this thread.

Hope this helps a little!

Bob