Mercury Magnetics Group Order

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

StuntDouble
Just the numbers in order: 7

Mercury Magnetics Group Order

Post by StuntDouble » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok, I've been busy lately, but I've finally got a little time to get this together. I'm trying to get a Mercury Magnetics group order together for the O100JM-VZ OT. It's probably the best sounding OT I've heard for guys wanting the early VH sound. I'm not saying it's "THE" OT that was or is in Ed's Plexi, but I think it's probably the closest modern equivilent that is readily available.

That being said, it's pricey...$265; however, with a group order of 10, the price would be $185+shipping. As I understand it, you don't necessarily have to order this OT, or even an OT for that matter, there just has to be a total order of 10 OTs and/or PTs to get the discount. Let me know if you have something else in mind to add to the order, and I'll ask Patrick what the discounted price would be. The closest equivilent merc PT to the Dagnal T2562 would be the MP100-68

There's an additional $10 service fee to drop ship directly from Mercury, but I think that's going to be cheaper, easier and safer for everyone, than having it shipped to my home and then back out to you. I'll try and collect the funds via paypal all at once, so I'm not sitting on any orders for a long period of time and we can do it quickly, with minimal lag time. I need to know if anyone is interested...or still interested for the guys I've already talked to...before I go any further.

-Ben

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Mercury Magnetics Group Order

Post by Strat78 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:18 pm

This OT is pretty great. Robert over at Valvestorm might be willing to host the order to make things easier. :rock:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:32 am

I'm in.
12000 Metro Kit

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am

Strat78 wrote:This OT is pretty great. Robert over at Valvestorm might be willing to host the order to make things easier. :rock:
that would be great!

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser

Post by ValveStorm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am

StuntDouble wrote:
Strat78 wrote:This OT is pretty great. Robert over at Valvestorm might be willing to host the order to make things easier. :rock:
that would be great!
I would be happy to help. $10 drop shipping on top of a min of $11.95(CONUS) shipping ends up being nearly double per end-user. Can we find out how much it would cost to ship all 10 to 19312, and what the lead time would be? I can add it to the website as a special order item. Can one of you guys send me a nice pic to put on the site?
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I'll take a PT laydown for a 68. I can pick it up my self and pay Patrick aswell.

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:35 am

You can have it drop shipped or pick it up if they're cool with that, but all the payments have to go through one source.

YMI5150?
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by YMI5150? » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 pm

hey man,

so where do we stand on this group order? any thoughts one whose would be better? Marstran or MM? Brian's sure sounds good on Ralle's clip. damn that's amazing.

cheers

kevin

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 pm

YMI5150? wrote:hey man,

so where do we stand on this group order? any thoughts one whose would be better? Marstran or MM? Brian's sure sounds good on Ralle's clip. damn that's amazing.

cheers

kevin
Well, there were some problems; a few people changed their minds so we no longer had enough people to get the 10 order discount and I would have had to collect all of the money up front, make one payment to merc and then have everything shipped from them straight to the purchasers, which woul have costed extra on top of shipping costs. Here's another thing I don't like to bring up. If anything happens to me over here, you guys get scrwed, and that's the last thing my wife is going to want to deal with.

Robert, graciously stepped in and offered to help fascilitate the order, but there hasn't been as much demand for it as I though there would be, which has honestly kind of blown my mind considering it's a pretty big step towards getting "that" sound. I think Ralle's amp with the 2.5k OT sounds good, although I have to say, based on the clips I've heard, I'm partial to this one by quite a wide margin. It's more 3-D; almost like you could walk into it; the Marstran OT is certainly a step in the right direction, but it sounds flatter and more unidemensional to me than the Merc...and I'm not talking about what effects do; I'm talking about the core tone. It could just be the setup and recording; it'll be interesting to see as more clips are posted.

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser

Post by ValveStorm » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm

I was wondering if we might get Brian to make a 2.2k version. I would like to get one of these into strat78's hand for an A/B with the MM.
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 pm

ValveStorm wrote:I was wondering if we might get Brian to make a 2.2k version. I would like to get one of these into strat78's hand for an A/B with the MM.
Me too; it would be interesting indeed. It's hard to say based on a few clips, but I think 2.5k might be over-shooting the desired impedance. I think good Guest is right in his assumptions that Ed's OT came from Valley electronics. I'm not sure how that ties in, or if it even does, with the 2.2k Drake thing...maybe they were just reproductions of Ed's favorite OT or a completely original design...who knows? Regardless, I think Sergio knew what I was asking for even though I didn't really know what it was. It sounds pretty spot on to me. Still though, I would like to hear it A/B'd with a 2.2k 1202-132'ish Drake. What I would really like is for Chris to make, even just a small run of that 2.2k Drake OT and give us all a taste of what that thing is all about. Even if it doesn't do the early VH thing, I could care less. I'm honestly not going to sit around and play VH riffs all day through my amp; I just dig his early tone, and I bet that OT he and Ken Fisher pulled sounds great in a 1200 series.

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Brian Wallace » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm

I would be glad to do a run of these for everyone. I have a thread up on my forum about this OT already. http://forum.marstran.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fell free to join up and talk about it.
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

jape88

Post by jape88 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:12 am

ValveStorm wrote:I was wondering if we might get Brian to make a 2.2k version. I would like to get one of these into strat78's hand for an A/B with the MM.
For me this would be one of the best things that could happen... Strat has the ability in all areas to run an excellent test bed and is only influenced by what he hears is right and not the product or cost ...this all down to the man himself at the end of the day :P

I'd like to hear the MM against Brian's 2.5 and throw Chris M's OT in their as well, which I think Strat already has?