First build - TAD Super Lead

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: First build - TAD Super Lead

Post by julkke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 am

I was thinking Larry ground because I still have a little of that ground buzz going on. It's like single coil buzz but happens on humbuckers too. Definitely not loud or anything, just annoys me because my 2203 doesn't have any of that. My 2203 hums a bit tho, this build has absolutely zero hum. The ground buzz is always at the same volume level, it doesn't get louder or quieter when turning the pots. The buzz exists even when there's nothing plugged in. If I turn normal volume above 3 when using the bright ch, the buzz goes away. Howewer, even when the normal vol is there when I turn bright vol above 6, the buzz comes back again the same volume. From there I can't get it away turning the normal vol. It kind of interacts with the volumes if that makes any sense. :scratch: I'm using TAD's grounding scheme except for the vol pots and middle, those go with SDM's alternative ground, ie. buss above the pots through the grounded lugs, input jack and cathode grounds going there, then a wire from the buss to preamp filter caps ground lug. I redid all the solder joints on the buss but no change. The connection to the ground leg should also be good, I checked it many times before putting the board in. Can't really redo that, or at least it would be a major PITA. I tried to check all my grounds and they seem to be good. Only thing I can think of is the solder joint in the preamp lug. Guess I could try to just put a ground lug to choke mounting bolt and run a wire from the buss to that to see if the buzz goes away. Then the buzz could come from carbon comps too, or do they just add hiss?

Dunno, maybe I'm just too worried. I'm too used to my 2203 which doesn't have any kind of buzz. :D
Last edited by julkke on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julkke

Post by julkke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am

I just noticed it has something to do with the normal channel. With the normal volume on 0-3, the buzz is present. On 3-6 it's gone. But then on 6-10 it comes again, with a bit of hum. The tone controls affect it a little, mainly presence and middle.

Any ideas? Tried other tubes too. I guess the problem is somewhere between normal inputs and the mixer?

julkke

Post by julkke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Update, I found that the buzz goes away when pulling v2. Any help greatly appreciated.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:45 pm

1), then put the normal volume on 3-6. LOL

2) maybe a bad tube.

3) what tubes are you using? (Too lazy to read and look so I just type).

VH5150 is right. Get lots of values and different types of caps and resistors.

Geez, even these are getting pricey:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-MULLARD-MU ... 19d40b7c9b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or even these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mullard-Mustard ... 5194c0ff3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of options
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:17 pm

I noticed the prices on the "off" values going up as well. Sellers are catching on.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 am

Has anyone tried these TAD mustards in their 12 series? I think they are the same as mojo dijons. Experiences with them, good or bad?

I'm doing a resistor job for the amp soon too. I read too much shit about carbon comps. :D Any places to leave them in? In Ed's amp, the cathode follower seems to be CC. Should I leave that in? What about power tube grid resistors, carbon comps any good? For replacement resistors to the amp, metal film or carbon film? I'm looking for low noise, reliability and maximum tone of course.

Whoa, questions after questions...

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 am

I know a few guys use the CC's in the grid resistors. At that point I dont know how it would effect the tone though. I've heard amps with all metal film, but with high end caps that sounded super quiet but still maintained a vintage sound. You really have to try it out for yourself. Most of us are NOS cork sniffing shit disturbers regardless of how it sounds.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am

I don't think I wanna sniff cork too much. Metal films seems to be the way to go.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 am

Metal films will give you a more quiet signal. Put your $$$ into a good set of power tubes and some quality speakers.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:01 am

TAD tubes are supposed to be good, as for speakers I have 2 72' greenies 75hz and two 79' 55hz blackbacks. I got those dirt cheap locally last summer from an older guy who didn't know their value. :O

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 am

Your good for speakers then. Should be a good combo with that mix.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Guess the buzz is normal. I went over all my solder joints around v2 and v1 and checked continuity with a meter. Lifted v2a grid up, chopsticked around. The buzz just is there always. Then I swapped preamp tubes around (groove tube chinese) and managed to get the buzz level lower. It's still there though. Guess I'll just always put the normal vol so it doesnt buzz. How much do your builds buzz when played at low volume, like, can you notice it?

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Mine "hiss" but I don't get a "buzz" sound. That could just be the nature of your PT and/or OT.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Idk, it's something in the v2 area. Maybe just a tube. I can live with that. Or can it be from the trannys even though I pull v2 with all other tubes in the buzz is gone? Being cathode follower tube it's under a little stress anyway. And then, my cathode follover resistor is carbon comp too... Looking forward to the resistor job, who knows about this stuff. :what:

I should just be thankful that my amp works and voltages match and there is no real issues like motorboating, oscillating, squealing, red plating or who knows what problems. :D

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Well it seems other builders have it too. Nothing to worry about, I can relax a bit.

For reference: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the buzz, awesome tone btw! Strat78's clips have that too, in fact almost all clips have. :D Guess my 2203 then is just dead quiet.