TAD Super Lead 100w project

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sat May 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi!

I'm Andy, 37 year old guitarist from Finland. I started building my own Super Lead on 15.4 2014. It is a Tube Amp Doctor's kit and it is my first amp building project. I've been building a lot of effects pedals before this (about 25) and they all turned out great. I don't know much about amps but I'm learning while I'm building it. I know I have to drain the caps before touching anything inside. Maybe i'll take the amp to some experienced builder for the final checks to make sure it is safe to turn it on.

When it's done, I thought of modding it to S.I.R #36 specs so I drilled an extra hole for the fourth pre-amp tube.

Here are some pictures how the work is progressing:

http://1drv.ms/1nDPBEh

See anything that's not right and needs to be redone? Any tips would be appreciated.

Here are all the documents and instructions that I'm using:

http://1drv.ms/1mRXR7T

I'm working along the steps that are presented in the Metroamp's 100w Plexi Ki's assembly instructions PDF document.

Well, I'm off to the workshop because it's weekend and it's amp building day! :rock:

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sun May 25, 2014 10:20 am

Phew! It was a long day working on the amp.

http://1drv.ms/1nIc1o5

See anything suspicious?

User avatar
rgorke
Senior Member
Posts: 4509
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Drought Ravaged SoCal

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by rgorke » Sun May 25, 2014 10:56 am

Looks good so far. I don't see anything suspicious yet. Others have a better eye than me.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sun May 25, 2014 11:32 am

rgorke wrote:Looks good so far. I don't see anything suspicious yet. Others have a better eye than me.
Thanks for checking out my pics! Just found something suspicious myself. There's a piece of wire stuck in v6:

https://bq0vuq.by3302.livefilestore.com ... JPG?psid=1

User avatar
rgorke
Senior Member
Posts: 4509
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Drought Ravaged SoCal

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by rgorke » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 am

Prowler wrote:
rgorke wrote:Looks good so far. I don't see anything suspicious yet. Others have a better eye than me.
Thanks for checking out my pics! Just found something suspicious myself. There's a piece of wire stuck in v6:

https://bq0vuq.by3302.livefilestore.com ... JPG?psid=1
Is is just a loose piece that fell there or is it attached. I didn't see that before. Maybe I didn't scroll through all the pictures.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 am

rgorke wrote:
Prowler wrote:
rgorke wrote:Looks good so far. I don't see anything suspicious yet. Others have a better eye than me.
Thanks for checking out my pics! Just found something suspicious myself. There's a piece of wire stuck in v6:

https://bq0vuq.by3302.livefilestore.com ... JPG?psid=1
Is is just a loose piece that fell there or is it attached. I didn't see that before. Maybe I didn't scroll through all the pictures.
It's was just a loose piece of wire that was stuck there. Maybe it would be good to turn the whole thing upside down and shake it so all the loose pieces would fall. :)

Thanks again for checking out if there's something wrong. More pics coming next weekend if I get a chance to work on the amp.

-Andy

User avatar
Strat78
Senior Member
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:38 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: though I'm standing still, I'm in a moving place.

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Strat78 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 am

Yes, get the amp all done first and play it for a while then do your Slash mod. Everything looks good, though you might want to keep the OT primaries and secondaries a little farther apart. Are those sockets ceramic? :D

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 am

Strat78 wrote:Yes, get the amp all done first and play it for a while then do your Slash mod. Everything looks good, though you might want to keep the OT primaries and secondaries a little farther apart. Are those sockets ceramic? :D
Yes, the sockets are ceramic. Are they any good? The pin number 4 on V7 seems quite loose. I'm gonna install a tube on it and see if it still moves too much.

Thanks Strat78! Gonna move those primaries and secondaries farther apart

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:44 am

On this weekend I installed the mains- and standy switches, the bias pot and the ht-fuse holder. I also ran some yellow AGW-wires to be installed on the turret board later and labelled them with masking tape.

How does my wire routing look so far?

http://1drv.ms/1nF4Lh0

User avatar
JimiJames
Senior Member
Posts: 3548
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by JimiJames » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 am

I got yelled at that my heaters were over-twisted.
2 to 3 wraps max is the way.

So... What's up with the Fender cloth wire ? is that all you had to work with ?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

__________________________________________
Build'sClip'sVid's

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 am

JimiJames wrote:I got yelled at that my heaters were over-twisted.
2 to 3 wraps max is the way.

So... What's up with the Fender cloth wire ? is that all you had to work with ?
The cloth wire came with the kit and I started working with it right away because I heard that Tube Amp Doctor's kits have high quality parts. The wire was pretty easy to twist but I had to practise a few times so I ran out of it pretty quick and I had to order 2 meters more.

User avatar
JimiJames
Senior Member
Posts: 3548
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by JimiJames » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:13 am

Off topic:
How are those Ruokangas' by you there ?
I've only played a couple at an Amp Show here in Chicago ( at make'n music - Teddy Gordon)
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

__________________________________________
Build'sClip'sVid's

Prowler
Senior Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Finland

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Prowler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 am

JimiJames wrote:Off topic:
How are those Ruokangas' by you there ?
I've only played a couple at an Amp Show here in Chicago ( at make'n music - Teddy Gordon)
I've never played Ruokangas guitars myself but I've heard that they are great guitars and pretty expensive too. (about 3000 €?)

User avatar
vanhalen5150
Senior Member
Posts: 7307
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:13 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 am

That cloth wire is fine. It's been used in the Blankenship amps for years.

2-3 twists on the heaters is just for people who get tired easily.
12000 Metro Kit

User avatar
Carbia
Senior Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:34 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Spain

Re: TAD Super Lead 100w project

Post by Carbia » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am

it's very easy to twist tight the wire with a electric drill. Being lazy isn't a excuse...

look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZl787eHgI

Post Reply