wrong pots with 100 watt kitt?

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

wrong pots with 100 watt kitt?

Post by sixpakldp » Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I just got to step 11 of the 100 Watt Kit Build. I opened the package containing the pots for the front control panel and began laying them on the ground in the order I was going to install. Instead of having a 250K pot for the treble, I have instead a 1M pot. Is this a mistake or did something change from the directions? Just to be clear my pots are as follows:

(1) 5K
(1) 25K
(4) 1M

If the wrong pot did indeed get shipped with the kit, is there anything special about these pots? I am planning to go to my local guitar shop and pick up a 250K pot. The only thing I can see that is different on the pots are that the middle prong of the left is not bent down like the others so that when installed it touches the chasis.

I really want to keep moving on my amp and not have to wait for one in the mail.

Thanks

bulatovic

Re: wrong pots with 100 watt kitt?

Post by bulatovic » Sun May 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Well, it must have been a mistake...

It would work, but i wouldn't do it with that potentiometer. Try seeing if you can get an Alpha 250K-B potentiometer in you local stores, i wouldn't use different makes of pots in my amp. What you can do is procede with your build without installing that pot, and leave it untill you get the replacement. If you're running bus wire on the back of the potentiometers, than just clip the wire in the place where the middle of that pot would be, so you can bend it in order to install the pot later and solder both ends to the potentiometer's case. Also mark the wires that were supposed to go to the lugs of the pot.
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Sun May 10, 2009 10:02 pm

sixpakldp wrote:I really want to keep moving on my amp and not have to wait for one in the mail.
While you're waiting for a word on a replacement pot from MetroAmp, be sure to check the pots you have with a multimeter.

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by sixpakldp » Sun May 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks, I will call metro tomorrow and try to get an Alpha pot. Thanks for the suggestion about how to move forward, I'm trying to not take any shortcuts and get a good quality build. I already started moving forward, however I will just clip the bus wire as mentioned. As long as the continuity is good, it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought I was stupid asking if these were special pots, but if the Alpha brands make a difference then I am going to make sure thats what I put in.

bulatovic

Post by bulatovic » Sun May 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Well i said that you should look for Alphas because that's what you got in your kit, as i wouldn't put any one pot that is lower quality than others. It really isn't an issue if you can wait a few days, i'd do it as i said, or, if you don't want to clip the bus wire - solder it to the Vol pot that is closest to the input jacks, and just "tack" it to the presence pot so you can unsolder it easily and install the missing pot later on, and then do the remaining soldering to the back of the all pots.
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster