Ceriatone AFD #35 100W Build Journal

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

JonnyFunk
Just the numbers in order: 7

Ceriatone AFD #35 100W Build Journal

Post by JonnyFunk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 pm

I've pulled the trigger and ordered Kit 1 from Nik @ Ceriatone. I'm waiting for my Classictone PT/OT to arrive, I've already received my Mercury Magnetics 10H choke. The Classictone PT didn't have a 5v line so I had to use an extra filament transformer to power the channel switching. I noticed that this amp is closer to Nik's 2555 clone in some ways of layout than the actual Plexi or JCM 800. I have a fulltime job and a family so if this goes by a little slower than it should that is the reason. I don't get much time to myself nowadays to build this! This is my first build and realize that I should have started smaller but I have small amps and I don't have a full stack which I need for gigging soon. I've had to solder and wire Jaguar/BMW ECUs and I've taken engines and transmissions apart so I'm not too worried about this. I've got books and this great forum and I've done tons of research before I touch a soldering iron. Anyways here are some pictures.

:jimi:

My guitar skills - http://youtu.be/j85DeJusPZY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G&L ASAT
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster HSS
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Ceriatone AFD #35 100W Build Journal

Post by syscokid » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

That Big Cook's Knife is scarring me.... :hide:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm

:peace: It was only used on the shipping box i swear! :lol:
My guitar skills - http://youtu.be/j85DeJusPZY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:22 am

syscokid wrote:That Big Cook's Knife is scarring me.... :hide:
Now do you mean scaring which I can understand.........

..........or do you mean scarring, in which case mentally (yeah I get that!) or physically - in which case you are standing too close :wink:

Looking forward to this project, and to find out from you if the three different modes do what they are supposed to 8)
Neil

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 pm

I think scared is preferable to scarred unless you get so scared your mentally scarred. :drool: lol

Me too I hope the 3 modes do deliver as well! I was thinking of going over to PVC wire but it maybe a bit too much for me to handle at my current level of expertise. But I do know that the wire plays a part in the tone. As far as worksmanship and quality of parts this thing is chocked full of good resistors and capacitors, no metal film that I can see. Just carbon comps and carbon film in the right places. I'm going to be running JJ 6550s in output and ECC83/12AX7s in the preamp. I don't think this hi gain monster would benefit from NOS in the preamp section, it'd be too shrilly.

I just want this bad girl to:

A. Give me :jimi: plexi!
B. Give me :hairband: some slash gain!
C. The rest I can do with a good tubescreamer or fx loop.

I am thinking of doing a zero loss fx loop on this bad boy. Any tips are welcome! Nik is a great guy by the way. If all goes well I will definitely be making some amps for all my guitar buddies, even some touring ones. I went to high school with the SJC Drums guys here in Massachusetts. Was in a band in high school with Chip Ferrari haha as he calls himself now. They've definitely been an inspiration on my gear building and $ was a factors as well.

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

PT/OT mounted, out to get better hardware later this afternoon. The weekend is upon me! Expect to seem some serious soldering unless the rear control arm bushings in my car take longer than expected!

I don't have the tubes yet but I'm wondering if that bracket is still in the way?

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

JonnyFunk

PT/OT mounted, out to get better hardware later this afternoon. The weekend is upon me! Expect to seem some serious soldering unless the rear control arm bushings in my car take longer than expected!

I don't have the tubes yet but I'm wondering if that bracket is still in the way?

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

JonnyFunk

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:30 pm

neikeel wrote:
syscokid wrote:That Big Cook's Knife is scarring me.... :hide:
Now do you mean scaring which I can understand.........

..........or do you mean scarring, in which case mentally (yeah I get that!) or physically - in which case you are standing too close :wink:

Looking forward to this project, and to find out from you if the three different modes do what they are supposed to 8)
Mentally, I wasn't standing close enough...I meant scaring... :oops:

Watch out for those edges on those brackets. They look ready to pick up some souvenirs... :stars:
Lookin good so far... :thumbsup:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah it looks more jagged than it is, that is actually a fragment of paper towel from wiping it down. I agree the corner could have been cut better. I'm going to smooth it out when I change out the mounting screws tonight. Good looks! :toast:

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:30 am

I am afraid at the moment your OT is 90 degrees out of whack!

To avoid hum the PT and OT lams should be on 90 angle (Nik's amps on his site show it mounted correctly.

You may have been confused as early amps with laydown PT, before caps went up top had the OT that way (my 68 does) but when the caps went up top and when PT became upright.

May solve your bracket conundrum too :wink:
Neil

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah man I'm having an issue. I can't orient the O/T the other way without it hitting the tube socket or having the huge feet on this thing hang over the front side. I may just have to alter the feet so it doesn't hit the tube and it doesn't hang off. The transformers are not on permanently ! Just mocking it up. I'm glad for the look out! I believe it's the OT that should the other way around. I did put in a 6550 and that bracket doesn't touch the PT. :thumbsup:

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

do you prefer a 10H choke? I swear by 3H chokes, either c1999 or 352-114
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am

Yes I see the issue, your OT is at least a 2" stack (normally used on earlier amps where that alignment was correct), this amp typically uses a 1 1/2" Dagnall OT.

Tricky one :?
Neil

JonnyFunk

Post by JonnyFunk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 am

It is what Nik recommended, he called for it and the 3H would have been too little he said. It called for a 5H+ so I went with the 10H. A choke isn't hard to swap out so maybe I will try a 5H if I don't like the sound. Honestly I haven't owned many tube amps, this is my first build. I'm a car guy. I've done engine rebuilds, transmission rebuild (manual), wiring, diagnosing etc, on Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Ford. So I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have a great tube amp book and I know how to drain the capacitors and bias the amp so I'm ready for this!

G&L ASAT
G&L Legacy Tribute
Ceriatone AFD#35 100W
Boss GT-8