A few beginner questions

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Jzbass25
Just the numbers in order: 7

A few beginner questions

Post by Jzbass25 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey guys, I've had the urge to build an amp for awhile but have had issues with time and money (thanks college!). But I just started building myself guitar pedals and it got me thinking about amps again.

I did have a few questions though, first is it terribly difficult like some make it seem or does it just require a little practice to lead dress and get good clean solder joints?

Also what would be a good starter kit, maybe something a little cheaper or should I just go toward the amps I have been really wanting to clone (SLO or Mark 2c+, maybe soldano x88). I've been thinking about a C3 SLO clone but it is still pretty expensive and I haven't done an amp before.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with these pcbs/kits? http://ampclones.com/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

toner

Re: A few beginner questions

Post by toner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:05 pm

The most important thing is researching before you start. Most electronics kits are like "paint by numbers". Almost anyone can build them if they know how to solder and take their time. However, troubleshooting and testing usually requires experience.

Documentation is often the weakest link with some companies. Download instructions and read product forums, looking for potential problems before you buy. I would avoid kits from companies that don't publicly post instructions or are unwilling to send them to you (unless you have some other way of verifying their reputation).

Most people who run into problems do so because they rush the process and want instant gratification. This leads to errors that most novices need help diagnosing. Make sure you have some support via the manufacturer or user forums if you have any doubts.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with ampclones.com so I can't comment on them. Good luck!

Jzbass25

Post by Jzbass25 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Well what are some good companies with well instructed kits? I am mainly looking for something higher gain even though I know that makes lead dress harder. I've been sort of wanting more american high gain as well but I know most kits are marshall'y, but I guess something kind of splawn quickrod (or nitro'ish) or Satriani jvm'ish would be very nice as well.

Which reminds me do metroamp not sell kits anymore, I can't seem to find them?

Thanks

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bobtec » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Amp Depot,I think has a fender clone kit,hoffman amps has some links

Omn

Post by Omn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am

C3 Amps SLO-clone
Quality parts at a price. No step-by-step instructions. One has to use schematics, photos and forums for the build.
Pretty complex amp.
Troubleshooting afterwards may be the Achilles heel... The real pain.

But; it can be done. Here is one 50 watter;
http://www.pauledwards.co.uk/build1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://pauledwards.co.uk/gallery/index. ... -SLO-Clone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;