Metro vs. Mojo

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

tkscott
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Metro vs. Mojo

Post by tkscott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Metro vs. Mojo

I missed the cut-off date for being able to buy Metro kits. So I bought a Mojo 100 watt kit 2 years ago (wound up in the hospital, physical therapy, long story blah blah) Im finally getting a chance to build the amp.

Im sure you all know by now that Mojo gives you nothing but a schematic and a couple photo’s (unlike Metro, the designs are amazing) I printed a copy hoping it is close enough to get me started.

--- Im looking at the MetroAmp 100 watt Plexi Kit December 2007 revision. Is the latest / correct version? Will the Metro design be close enough to follow building a Mojo kit? (double checking / comparing to the Mojo wiring schematic?)

--- as I start getting into the build I see Metro using ground lugs on the filter caps but the Mojo kit sent me two (3 lug) terminal strips. Would this be considered Star Grounding? Where would I screw / locate them? Is this better than the Metro / ground lug way?

--- I see the Mojo design (photo’s) don’t run a ground wire between / soldered to the back of the pots but the Metro design does. Better or worse? (confused)

George was kind enough to reply to a personal e-mail and turned me on to Valve Storm. So I bought 10 single ground lugs, some shrink wrap and a set of colored wires (Mojo only gives you white and green)

A little background (first post here, just joined today) 35 year Journeyman Toolmaker out of Detroit, but even longer building, repairing, restoring and re-freting guitars so I know how to solder and bolt things together but need your in-put (sure this wont be my last post) I own 7 tube amps from a Pignose to a 1979 JMP. I used to be somebody in the Detroit music scene but the diabetes is kicking my ass so I don’t gig anymore.

Thanks in advance for your reply

T.K. Scott

neikeel

Re: Metro vs. Mojo

Post by neikeel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Not seen inside a MOJO/TAD kit but some experience here:http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43284

Suggest you use Marshall wiring colours. Do you have the latest Metro 100w instructions?
Neil

tkscott

Post by tkscott » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 am

....neikeel, thank you for the fast reply.

I printed Metro's December 2007 revision (couple years ago) Is this the latest Metro 100w instructions? (wiki site is down) was hoping someone here could tell me if I have the latest revision.

....and yes sir thats why I ordered the Valve Storm colored wire set (because Mojo only gives you 2 colors)

but I guess my biggest concern (from my first post) was the grounding issue. Everything I see from Metro uses ground lugs (screwed to filter caps, etc) and ground wire soldered to the back of the pots (and other people's examples use the same technique) but Mojo doesn't.

They only sent me two (3 lug) terminal strips. So which is better? Which should I follow?

Thanks again in advance.

T.K. Scott

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 am

Best is to follow the Larry grounding or the method used on SDMs site (http://home.comcast.net/~jbjdav26/1959/ ... ubbers.JPG
Neil

tkscott

Post by tkscott » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am

....ahhh (very cool) thank you sir. We will keep it touch as the build progresses