Planning a JTM45/100 All Octal Build

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Chandyland
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Planning a JTM45/100 All Octal Build

Post by Chandyland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while, and I finally decided to make an account so I could get some advice for a build I'm currently planning.

I really love the idea of building essentially a Dickinson spec JTM45/100, but instead of the usual 12AX7 preamp tubes, I want to build mine based around the 6SL7 octal tube.

I have a parts list made for a typical Dickinson build (with the help of the layout posted by George), but before I pull the trigger on anything, I really want to know what I need to change in order to accommodate the octal pre tubes (other than the chassis, obviously) and to ensure the circuit is optimized for them.

Lastly, I'm also curious how the sockets for an octal preamp tube would be wired relative to the usual 12AX7.

Thanks in advance, and I'm excited to be a member here! :toast:

neikeel

Re: Planning a JTM45/100 All Octal Build

Post by neikeel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:25 pm

What is it about 6SL7 you like? Or do you just want a different amp (price/tone or availablity?

The 6SL7 is a high enough gain (Gm 1.6) and the heater voltage is the same and they only take 0.3A of heater curent so I do not see any specific issues.

You may need to play with cathode values and I do not know how they will prcoess the signal in the cathode follower position.

It will be interesting to watch your build unfold, I am afraid that my builds are much more boring.

Good luck 8)
Neil

Chandyland
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Planning a JTM45/100 All Octal Build

Post by Chandyland » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Well I really like the demos I've heard of the BC Audio octal plex amps, but I also want the fullness and raw power of the 45/100. I want to build the thing myself too to save money and because I really enjoy building and soldering things.

If for no other reason, though, I really like the idea of making an awesome amp myself and making it my own and unique. Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it.