Power transformers question

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

LSDtigers
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Power transformers question

Post by LSDtigers » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Hey guys, I’m new. Stoked to be here.

I’m in the middle of a 2204 build and I’ve been looking for an answer to this question, but I haven’t really found a good explanation yet.

Question: What happens to the maximum output wattage when you drop B+ ~80v or so?
Here’s why I ask... a spec 2204 power transformer runs about 350-0-350 on the high voltage. Operating plate voltage on a stock 2204 with that transformer is approx 480v

But I got a great deal on a new in box 300-0-300 JTM45 mojotone transformer that they call the “Low voltage” version. And if my math is right, I should see about 400v b+ when running into a 2350 ohm output transformer primary.

I’ve found tons of discussion on lowering B+ and plate voltages In one or both stages and it’s effect on headroom and tone. I’m really clear on that side of things. But, and maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place, when you drop b+, does it also drop maximum output wattage? And if it does, do what degree?

I’ve got a GREAT sounding 2x12 with a pair of 30w Scumbacks in it that I’d love to play this amp through. But only if I’m not gonna blow it up. A drop of a few watts of output might make me feel much better about trying that.

It seems to make sense, less potential in, less production out. But I haven’t yet found clear discussion to that effect.

Anyway, What’s up guys, I’m Adam. Glad to be here.