HELP JTM 45 or Superbass?

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

clukeglue
Just the numbers in order: 7

HELP JTM 45 or Superbass?

Post by clukeglue » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey guys i have a question.
I'm looking at two amps right now to buy. A Metro amp Super bass 68 spec (where the stand by switch goes from 100 watts to 50) and a Metro Amp JTM 45 (probably anywhere from 30-40 watts)

WHICH DO I BUY?
The super lead/superbass tone is the sound and amp i've always wanted. 100 watts seemed ridiculous but since this one can go to 50, it seems like something to consider.
I got to try the jtm 45 in a store and it also sounded great and extremely similar to the super bass so i'd be happy with either amp but the super bass is the tone I've always been after. Since the super bass is 50 watts (ill never use 100 mode) and the JTM 45 is anywhere form 30-40, the volume difference is extremely minimal. maybe a few decibels at the most. Heres the issue, if I'm correct, i believe that even though the volume is difference is barley noticeable, the lower wattage amp will break up significantly sooner. (is this even true with a different from 35 watts to 50?) I will be using an attenuator a lot because i play small clubs and practice at home. So which will sound better.

The Amp and tone I've always wanted (super bass) but with more attenuation because its 50 watts
or the JTM 45 with less attenuation. ( the jtm 45 and super bass to me sound very alike so id be happy with either, maybe more with the super bass though)

Thanks guys! I don't know a ton about amps so if they'll both break up easily then please tell me I'm wrong

toner

Re: HELP JTM 45 or Superbass?

Post by toner » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:32 pm

The Metro '68 (bass or lead) with the dual-tap PT doesn't switch to 50w so I think you're confused about that. It just lowers the voltage to simulate using a variac for a "brown sound" (less headroom, more "spongy" response). It's always a 100w amp, however.

Regardless of voltage selected, the '68 will be a little louder and have quite a bit more clean headroom than the JTM45. The response will be tighter with more "punch" and dynamics, partly due to the solid-state rectifier vs. the tube rectifier in a JTM45.

If you don't need really loud clean tones I would suggest the JTM45, given the playing environments you mentioned. It may require slightly less attenuation too but you can always have a PPIMV installed in either amp to help lower the volume also.

You may want to consider a 50w bass-spec amp also. It would fit in between the JTM45 and a Superbass for volume and clean headroom.

malig
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by malig » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 am

Actually I prefer the Superbass to the JTM45, it's less picky about the guitar and pickups, and sound great (better) than the JTM45 to my ears (less flub) :)

But it's very loud, without ppimv or attenuator :oops:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 am

Good answers. I'll add that the 45 is tube rectified and the Superbass is solid state. Some players gravitate to one or the other.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...