Question? Picked up a used Metropoulos 50 watt Plexi!

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sjk
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Question? Picked up a used Metropoulos 50 watt Plexi!

Post by sjk » Wed May 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Previously I picked up a 2008 12,000 series Metropoulos (serial 12040) several months ago and have to say it is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Of course I'm attenuating but I don't think I'm losing much. Started out with the Alex which was not bad at all and then purchased the Fryette power station about a month ago which is even better, better than any of the other high end or mid priced models (Alex) I've owned and tried.

I liked this amp so much a couple weeks later I bought one of the 2203's that were built in George's shop some 5 years ago. Great amp as well.

So anyway after having more fun with the 12,000 than anything in recent memory I found a used 2012 George built metropoulos 50 watt plexi (serial 5008). Awesome as well and different enough to have both. The 100 watt is a little more special but perhaps that is the sheer girth of the tone or has more hrs on it, who knows. I've got other amps as well which are good but honestly the only amps I have any desire to use are George's, just unreal sounding amps! Thanks George and I'm sorry I did not buy them direct new as I would love to put the money in your pocket but when you see these pop up used it's hard not to pull the trigger :lol: I do hope to save for a brand new Metroplex soon.

Both are completely stock except the bright cap on the 50 watt looks to be changed to a silver mica 100 pf. So I'm wondering what value George uses on these, can't remember what the 100 has and not sure if both amps use the same value? If you see this George or anyone else that may know that would be great!

Here is a quick clip I made the same day I picked up the 12,000. Attenuated with the Alex before I got the fryette PS. Plugging in instantly makes you want to play ACDC riffs even if you don't know how to play them properly lol. There is a 10 second pause in there where I switch from a 1980 Tokai LS80 les paul replica loaded with wiz pickups to Navigator les paul replica with BK Rebel Yell humbuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzo3qFnX3Zk

Steve

Tazin

Re: Question? Picked up a used Metropoulos 50 watt Plexi!

Post by Tazin » Fri May 22, 2015 8:14 am

If the 50W is a 'LEAD' amplifier then more than likely it should of had a 5000pF cap on the volume pot.

sjk
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Question? Picked up a used Metropoulos 50 watt Plexi!

Post by sjk » Sat May 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Tazin wrote:If the 50W is a 'LEAD' amplifier then more than likely it should of had a 5000pF cap on the volume pot.
Thanks!
Yeah it's a Lead spec, I have a ceramic 5000pf I may give it a go. I don't think George's 100 watt leads use that high a value, I will have to open the 100 up and take a look. I'm thinking it was 500?

Steve