45/100 Block End Now Available

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:42 pm

I would be surprised if the GEC's lasted 10,000 hrs.........you'd literally never change your tubes........but they certainly will last longer than the new production stuff.

When I had bluze81's JTM45 here with NOS GEC's compared to my Metro JTM45 with GT KT66HP's I really didn't think one sounded "better" than the other, they were just different. His had a bit more clarity throughout the volume range but mine was thicker and more "blustery" if you will. Both were utterly rocking. The VA's sound really nice in my Metro JTM45/100.

I'd just make sure to get vintage preamp tubes myself, but that's just me.

Congrats on ordering a killer amp either way!!!

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bluze81 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Flames1950 wrote:I would be surprised if the GEC's lasted 10,000 hrs.........you'd literally never change your tubes........but they certainly will last longer than the new production stuff.

When I had bluze81's JTM45 here with NOS GEC's compared to my Metro JTM45 with GT KT66HP's I really didn't think one sounded "better" than the other, they were just different. His had a bit more clarity throughout the volume range but mine was thicker and more "blustery" if you will. Both were utterly rocking. The VA's sound really nice in my Metro JTM45/100.

I'd just make sure to get vintage preamp tubes myself, but that's just me.

Congrats on ordering a killer amp either way!!!
Agreed 100% I have a set of the VA kt66 and compared them to the gec set in the same amp that flames is reffering to and I like the sound of the valve arts they have a faster break up and a tad more gain than my gec set so they are stayin in the amp, definetly nos in the preamp section! bluze81

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bluze81 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Almost forgot! Thats got to be the best looking build or peice of art amp build I have ever seen George! you are the master builder, so many nice touches, what an amp! bluze :D :D :D :D

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks Greg, thanks Steve.

Greg, like I said on the phone, you have a lot of fans and get big respect here. Please pull up a chair and make yourself at home. More Marshall freaks are always welcome!!!!

And keep those old amp pic coming!! I'm still trying to figure out how to post them with info, like Brian has on his site.

Andy, I did some sanding on your chassis tonight. It needs several hours of polishing before I start assembling the amp.

The GEC vs Valve Art debate is a tough call. In reality I think it's GEC's vs the cost of a matched quad of NOS. I do think they are worth $600. And they do sound sound accurate to the era. Nut the VA's are no slouch either, and sound great.

I would probably get the VA's at first. You can always get GEC's and use both in the amp.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:13 pm

I think it's great that builders like Greg Germino,who has always been a class act and had great clips of his amps on the internet and George are in communication.It really is a small world this Marshall generated industry and Greg and George are two of the finest there are out there now.
Very cool to have mutual respect,not competition with each other,all these master amp builders challenge themselves enough on a daily basis,to make their amps the best sounding and authentic reproductions,possible.
I think these amps deserve a new category,not clones or boutique amps,but true original masterpieces,with their own merits,and they can improve many times the already brilliant original sounds,with their meticulous attention to detail and no compromise approach.
Thanks to all for not letting the great Marshall world die with the factory's sub-standard output lately!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeffG.

Post by JeffG. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:36 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote: Greg, like I said on the phone, you have a lot of fans and get big respect here. george
Very true, I spent lots of time on his site listening to clips, and Greg's reputation for customer service is terrific.

ohmygodtheykilledkenny

Post by ohmygodtheykilledkenny » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 pm

:shock: :) :D :twisted: Wow, I finally took the time to look at the pics, that is amazing.

It really is like an oil painting or something, except that I actually appreciate it. :D

Not to mention that the chassis and pre-tube covers are like mirrors.
You are truly in a class of your own George.

Travis

BTW The link on the amps and cabs page of the main site still shows the price of $2450, which I don't think applies anymore lol What with the NOS/Polishing/Sweet Goodies...
If yer ears ain't ringing, yer amp ain't singing! -JimiJames

TFL

Post by TFL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 am

mightymike wrote:George,
Everything you build (Amps, Neve Mic preamps, ect..) is so top notch.
Does George really build Neve mic pres? Please tell me this is true! :D

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:13 am

TFL, He's referring to 7th circle's N72 module kit.

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

George built one a while back.

TFL

Post by TFL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:26 pm

NitroLiq wrote:TFL, He's referring to 7th circle's N72 module kit.

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

George built one a while back.
Wow, thanks so much NitroLiq for the info! I

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Those N72's are awesome! That's what you hear in all of the clips I record. I built one of the API pres as well. It's great to hear the difference, although I do prefer the N72 for guitar stuff.

I really don't have the time to assemble these to order. I don't think the people with amps sitting here would appreciate that too much!

george

TFL

Post by TFL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 pm

That

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:23 pm

George, what else did you have to buy from them besides the N72 to get it working? The PS03 PSU? The rack Chassis?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:06 pm

I did get their chassis and power supply too. So I have (2) N72's, an A12 the power supply kit and the chassis.

I highly recommend these kits. They rock! I haven't compared them directly to real Neves. But the guys over at Gearslutz.com say they hold their own.

Even producer Michael Wagoner claims that his 7th circle pres are as good as his original API's. FWIW.

george

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:45 pm

I've thought about their Jensen clone along with the N72. Jensen's are really clean and transparent. I'd still like one of those bloo LA@A clones if their still available...expensive though, though still a third of the price of a real one. N72 and a bloo...and a decent condenser mic and there's the vocal chain.