Transformers - Which ones to choose?

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

zendarcade83
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Transformers - Which ones to choose?

Post by zendarcade83 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm looking at starting the 2203 MV project as a build and I'm looking for any opinions on choice of PT, OT and Choke to bring this amp to life. I recently finished a JTM45 ValveStorm/Metro kit/project and used all ClassicTone transformers, love the tone. The B+ is hot but from what I've read in the forum that's fairly normal for the ClassicTone transformers.

danman

Re: Transformers - Which ones to choose?

Post by danman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm

The Heyboer trannys that Marstran sells are very nice as are the Heyboer trannys that Metropolous specs out...http://www.marstran.com/

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 am

danman wrote:The Heyboer trannys that Marstran sells are very nice as are the Heyboer trannys that Metropolous specs out...http://www.marstran.com/
Hmm is this confirmed? Marstrans transformers are Georges? Or are you saying they have the same technical specs as the Marshalls original transfrmers?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:17 am

Both the Marstran and Metro transformers are built to their specs (old tear downs that have been measured) by Heyboer. The material and construction is identical to the 60s specs. I believe that Brian and George took a few before settling on their specs.
Chris M winds his own to his own specs, I think he is a little more expensive. I have had transformers from all of them and they all compare very well with the originals. Much better than some modern UK replacement OTs. I recently acquired a Classic tone 50w OT to put in an amp and it will be interesting to compare.
Neil

zendarcade83

Post by zendarcade83 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 am

@neikeel, @ danman and @RockinRocket -

This is great info and giving me some serious food for thought. Sounds like either way Marstrans or Metro is a win-win. Props to George, Brian and Chris M, for pulling out some science to nail down 'that' sound...

Thanks again!