Picture of the band in the studio recording VH1

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

monkface

Picture of the band in the studio recording VH1

Post by monkface » Sun May 03, 2020 12:33 pm

The new Ted Templeman book has the only picture I've seen of the band recording VH1. It's taken from the control booth by Donn Landee. If it's Ed's slanted cab seen in the picture, it looks white or more likely stripped of tolex. Anyway pretty amazing to finally see. Unless it's been out there and I missed it!

popskull
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Picture of the band in the studio recording VH1

Post by popskull » Wed May 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Cool Ive always wanted to see it.

vh1tone

Post by vh1tone » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:35 am

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Interesting photo. Since there appears to be a single slant 4x12 cab there is no way Ed is running a 'normal' 100w head full bore...So somehow he's running a modified setup (i.e. variac'd way down or possibly slave setup). Equally interesting is the cabinet seems to have the unpainted pine strip of wood running horizontal across the middle of the cab which is something that you don't see on his cabinets until after January 1978. Also, the pair of JBL speakers seemed to always be loaded in that one straight cab and never in a slant cab which kinda contradicts the understanding that the JBL's & Celestion's were mic'd and mixed together...But you can clearly see that the cabinet is mic'd with two microphones. I see that Alex didn't have is modified kick drum(s) setup yet (two shells connected together).

Bannny

Post by Bannny » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:48 pm

The ceiling height looks so low.

Alex looks to be on a riser. The baffle configuration is interesting, with the amps right on the other side, and in front of the drum baffle. They are all pretty much pulled in as tight as possible, instead of spread out in the room.
Wonder where the room mic is.