Super Distortion rocks! (MkII)

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

bluesguy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Super Distortion rocks! (MkII)

Post by bluesguy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 pm

"Other than buying old used ones i wonder if any winders make a clone of these older ones?" Quote

This guy does. http://manliusguitar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He makes what he calls a "Super '70's Clone" which is supposed to be a clone of a '70's Dimarzio Super Distortion. I've never heard or seen one but sounds interesting.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 am

I would argue that there would be much difference between a new DSD and an old DSD. Take 5 older ones and 5 brand new ones, and probably only one or 2 of the older ones would reach the 5 newer ones.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 am

Dimarzio swears the only change is the potting. They are potted now. Mark used new ones. I really don't see where the magic "vintage" thing could ever apply here. Its been shown new ones deliver and proven. If its made the same way or in Metros case " reproduced like it used to be" all that vintage mojo goes out the window along with the price tag we all know that goes along with that sorta marketing b.s.
What drove George to seek out every detail of Marshall's legacy? I think he wanted to bring us back to the way it all started but in a "now available again good quality amps like they used to be before the music industry created all the lore and magic fairy dust hoopla". Thanks to him you don't have to navigate that trecherous vintage market. And he has succeeded.
I thought we covered that there is no magic marshall and no magic wood and no magic nothing. At least thats what I learned on this forum.
Maybe we should pool some money together, just to be sure, buy a new and old one, then tear them both apart as sacrificial lambs so to speak. Count the turns/winds, inspect the mags fully, look at all materials used and construction techniques.
Thats what should be done before the "vintage is better" thing starts makin a ebay nightmare double feature.
Thats how these things get blown out of proportion and grow to be some dudes million dollar industry.
I would have to ask-why would dimarzio ever change the recipe?? There really is no reason for them to do so. The old ones were not crafted of super fine materials to begin with-not as unreproduceable as some intricacies a original paf would throw oit there. Ceramic mags don't lose their magnatism like alnico ones either. So that degaussed mag thing can take a hike too.
I am just sayin
Tubes are the only thing that need to be reproduced like the u.s.a. used to-everything else is repeatable and replicable.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 am

huh, you said, "magic wood", huh, huh
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

stef

Post by stef » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:40 am

i agree with TS and dirtycooter. if it aint broken or being messed with etc, dsd is a dsd - check it with a MM, make sure i it's installed (wired) properly and :shred:

hammered

Post by hammered » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm

People get there hands on a vintage super d or JB ect...and their mind is gonna tell them it sounds better not their ears . Mark(rockstah) used a new super d and it sounded amazing so there you go.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm

well my newer made one is a dud then. it definitely does not sound like the old used one i just bought?
we are talking same guitar,amp,setting cords,effects,fingers,player,mood,etc,etc
the one made in 2000-2004 sounds very metallica(darker,more driving,just more heavy metal sounding) it overdrives the amp way more than the old one i got one ebay?
They both read 13.6K :what:

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

The older one possibly degaussed over the 30-odd years a bit?
Only variable I can see, if it's got thr same gauge wire and winds.
I'd like to hear a DSD with an Alnico 8.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:03 pm

SteadyEddie wrote:The older one possibly degaussed over the 30-odd years a bit?
Only variable I can see, if it's got thr same gauge wire and winds.
I'd like to hear a DSD with an Alnico 8.
Good assumption but ceramics dont lose any of their charge not even after 100 years
I ordered another "NEW" dimarzio super because i am convinced the one i have is a dud or damaged one?
or something because like the others here said and i agree dimarzio would be stupid as shit to change a recipe that put them on the map.
It just would not make any good business sense for them to change it up. i just got stuck with one of probably a million that was defective or whatever

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 pm

the magnet, or rather the field it produces has a large degree of influence on the final sound. there could easily be differences in the materials or magnetic field, not to mention that the adjustable poles have a bit to do with the pickups actual operation. EJSLPlexi did you make sure to double check your wiring and set the pole pieces where they sounded best on both pickups? the height of the pickup will obviously matter as well.

it could also be that DiMarzio started using a different wire coating, which would change the pickups overall capacitance and inductance, that would change the sound dramatically and still give the same output (roughly) and the same or similar resistance reading.

since you have both right in front of you, can you see if the dimensions of the actual bobbins and baseplate are the same? how about the size and shape of the magnets?

another small note: a pickups resistance will change slightly with temperature

stef

Post by stef » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:well my newer made one is a dud then. it definitely does not sound like the old used one i just bought?
we are talking same guitar,amp,setting cords,effects,fingers,player,mood,etc,etc
the one made in 2000-2004 sounds very metallica(darker,more driving,just more heavy metal sounding) it overdrives the amp way more than the old one i got one ebay?
They both read 13.6K :what:
you know my gut feeling is that the new one is actually working properly because the dsd should overdrive the amp and it should be "heavy metal sounding" :scratch:
what amp?

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Maybe you got a neck version of one of them-ebay can be sneaky. Double check. Coulda been not a good contact at the solder connection.
I say someones needs to disect new and old-and thats tough cause they are epoxied down.
Potting may not have taken as well on one either. Of course the old is not potted at all.
I really think this is where the story about Ed melted a pickup came from by trying to pot the piss out of this thing. It really needs it.
Last edited by dirtycooter on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Maybe you got a neck version of one of them-ebay can be sneaky. Double check. Coulda been not a good contact at the solder connection.
I say someones needs to disect new and old-and thats tough cause they are epoxied down.
Potting may not have taken as well on one either. Of course the old is not potted at all.
it checks out, 13.6K and sounds like it should, VH hotter PAF tone
the newer one on the other hand is very dark and murky, nothing like what peter or strat 78 sound like.
I ordered another newer one cause i am convinced the 2000-2004 DSD is a dud and am selling my 80's one in the classified section here.
I need a double creme one anyway and both of mine are black

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 pm

I tried a new DSD in my Strat with 250k pot. Found it dark and mushy compared to my Lawrence L90XL. Drive levels were comparable, both loud pickups but the Lawrence much more open and articulate. Maybe I just needed a 500k pot but I'm wondering if your new DSD is a dud or if they are all dark like that.

Funky Hunky

Post by Funky Hunky » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am

Dark and murky? Sounds like you might have a Super 3. DSD is bright and aggressive. I have also bought used DSDs from guys that didn't like 'em and found they had them wired up parallel. The neck versions are slightly brighter, I have one in a Les Paul with 300k pot sounds the same as other guitars with Bridge version and 500k. Need 500k for most guitars My 2 cents.
Clips:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11391879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;