Where Ed Plays on the Neck

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Where Ed Plays on the Neck

Post by Strat78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

rgorke wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Here are my fingerings for the cadenza at the end of the recording of "You Really Got Me" on the Van Halen LP. This isn't too far removed from the Wolf Marshall/Cherry Lane transcription, but there are some differences and smaller details that I have included. I have notated my picking pattern with "D" or "U" just as in my earlier post of the 2nd phrase from "Eruption"...

For me, it is easier to use the E on the b string (17 fret) than the E on the e string (12 fret). The flow seems better than string skipping.

However, watching Ed in videos, I am not sure which way he plays it.

And yes, the Rosen interview is epic in hearing Ed play things. I wish there were many many more like that.
You can clearly see how and where he plays it here at 2:22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCaBVnAboPg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Strat78 wrote:
rgorke wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Here are my fingerings for the cadenza at the end of the recording of "You Really Got Me" on the Van Halen LP. This isn't too far removed from the Wolf Marshall/Cherry Lane transcription, but there are some differences and smaller details that I have included. I have notated my picking pattern with "D" or "U" just as in my earlier post of the 2nd phrase from "Eruption"...

For me, it is easier to use the E on the b string (17 fret) than the E on the e string (12 fret). The flow seems better than string skipping.

However, watching Ed in videos, I am not sure which way he plays it.

And yes, the Rosen interview is epic in hearing Ed play things. I wish there were many many more like that.
You can clearly see how and where he plays it here at 2:22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCaBVnAboPg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rgorke on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

rgorke wrote:Agreed and it appears he is throwing his pinky in there so, maybe I am right. It just flows better for me. Not saying I am anywhere near executing it properly.
I have added left hand finger instructions to my TAB because I do use the pinky, as I believe Ed does...but if the note you are referring to is the first note of the lick as I have it in my TAB at the 12th fret of the high E-are you saying you play that on the 17th fret of the B string?

I think what Strat78 is pointing out is that he is playing it the way I have it in my TAB, at least in that it is just a regular E box position blues lick like Clapton on the cadenza of the live version of "Sitting On Top Of The World", just as Bill (wjamflan) has said...Can you post a TAB of what you are talking about so I can see your fingerings? It would really help me understand what you are trying to say...here is my TAB again, but I have added the left hand finger instructions:
Last edited by garbeaj on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I think this lick is used best in the second solo in Outta Love. But there seems to be even more notes inserted in that simple pattern. There was a time where I added an extra note with the pinky on the B string like Roger describes, but I'm still not sure if that was correct. Can someone post a slowed down clip of Ed's solo in that song so we could figure it out?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Strat78 wrote:I think this lick is used best in the second solo in Outta Love. But there seems to be even more notes inserted in that simple pattern. There was a time where I added an extra note with the pinky on the B string like Roger describes, but I'm still not sure if that was correct. Can someone post a slowed down clip of Ed's solo in that song so we could figure it out?
"Outta Love Again" or the ending cadenza of "You Really Got Me"?

wjamflan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by wjamflan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Strat78 wrote:I think this lick is used best in the second solo in Outta Love. But there seems to be even more notes inserted in that simple pattern. There was a time where I added an extra note with the pinky on the B string like Roger describes, but I'm still not sure if that was correct. Can someone post a slowed down clip of Ed's solo in that song so we could figure it out?
http://www.mediafire.com/?wd2s33tx86ibexx

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 pm

wjamflan wrote:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wd2s33tx86ibexx
Thats it, thanks Bill!
:toast:

JimiJames

Re: Ice Cream Man ending Cadenza Tab

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm

I don't know of any tabs or one I can compare it to other than the one you posted Allen, but your
ICM ending cadenza tab is on the money ....Atleast the notes are there is what I am trying to say. Obviously it is a major PITA to write in Tablature, and ther are many ways to write it out, but your tab form will definitely help someone get closer to pulling it off. 8)

To know EVH feel is to know his Father's era music.
If you know songs like In the Mood or PE6-5000 or better yet, Bugle Boy of Co. C., you will be able to figure out most or ALL of Eddie's material.
If one can get the ICM lick down you are sure to get that elusive opening lick in Euption ....

The very first flurry of notes (after the chords) ......without a doubt is swing and not the perceived straight 4/4 :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks very much...I know what you mean about the swing factor. It is there in Al's playing as well. In fact I'm working on the "Ice Cream Man" solo again using Bill's fingerings that he posted earlier. I'll post what I find on that later:)

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Here's what I mean...I added and "X" the notes.
Attachments
YRGM2.pdf
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:26 pm

rgorke wrote:Here's what I mean...I added and "X" the notes.
Oh man it really is much easier playing it the way Ed plays it in the box position. It is such a common way to begin licks in rock and blues that I would recommend that you try to get used to it if you are interested in really learning how to play this correctly.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm also looking at Bill's fingerings for the "You Really Got Me" cadenza again and I've revised my TAB to make it closer to what Bill has. There are just one or two notes that are different from his fingering. This is a bit more in line with the cadenza as we hear Ed play it in his demonstration to Steven Rosen during the interview relatively recently released on YouTube. This is also more in line with the Clapton/Cream lick from the "Sitting On Top Of The World" cadenza (from the Goodbye LP) as Bill has pointed out numerous times. I keep saying it, but Bill is so right about how absolutely key the "SOTOTW" lick is to understanding so much of Ed's playing.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 am

wjamflan wrote:...He used these licks in many combinations and in many songs. IMHO, these along with the Crossroads 2nd solo beginning lick are the most important to get down if you want to play like EVH, although Ed doesn't always play the Crossroads one like Clapton...
8)
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 am

JimiJames wrote:
wjamflan wrote:...He used these licks in many combinations and in many songs. IMHO, these along with the Crossroads 2nd solo beginning lick are the most important to get down if you want to play like EVH, although Ed doesn't always play the Crossroads one like Clapton...
8)
Oh yeah. Bill knows his shit! :worthy:

wjamflan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by wjamflan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks guys. For what it is worth, here are my thoughts:

YOU REALLY GOT ME - cadenza

-----H/SL---------B1-----------H----P----------------------H----P----------------H----P----------------
E------------12---------12--------------------------------------------------12-----------------------------
B------------------15--------12---15---12---------12---12---15---12---------12---15---12------------
G---7/13--------------------------------------14-------------------------------------------------14------
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------D----U----D----U----------------U-----D----U----------------D----U----------------U-------

--------------------------|------ Lick 1 -------|-----|---- Lick 2 ---|-----|------- Lick 1 ------|--------

---------------P----P------------------------------H----P------------------------H---------H----P-----------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------15---14---12----------14----------11---12---11----------11------------------------------------
D---------------------------14----------14----------------------14----------12---14---11---12---11------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------14-
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----D----U-----------------U-----D-----U----D-----------------U-----D-----U----------D---------------U--

-------------------------------------B1.5---------
E--------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------
D---11--------------------------------------------
A---------12-\-11-\-9-\-7-\-5-\---2-------2-----
E---------------------------------------------0----
-----D----U----------------------------------D-----

The Lick 1 and Lick 2 designations refer to the Sitting On Top Of The World cadenza I referenced in the Rosen thread. See: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=60

YRGM Cadenza - one fifth speed: http://www.mediafire.com/?9o7f10rg7qr59bw
Last edited by wjamflan on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.